Sponsored by:

Loose leather cover on sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Loose leather cover on sunroof

The leather that covers the sunroof when closed is comes loose from time to time. Is it something one glues down or does it tuck can clip someplace? Combo of both? I tuck it in and over time, it becomes loose again.

Is this what is called the sunroof headliner? Im not quite sure and after doing a search, I didnt find much.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
The leather that covers the sunroof when closed is comes loose from time to time. Is it something one glues down or does it tuck can clip someplace? Combo of both? I tuck it in and over time, it becomes loose again.

Is this what is called the sunroof headliner? Im not quite sure and after doing a search, I didnt find much.
Bump! I am experiencing the same exact problem. Mine is coming loose on the headliner part (roof) as well as the sunroof part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

I believe it's just the adhesives coming loose. Mine became more noticeable (leading edge of sunroof leather and headliner) after driving far too fast with the sunroof and windows open.

I had it fixed when the car was in for other service at DeMan.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
dmm993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pliobond

I had this same issue on my 993 and found a lot of helpful info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/441839-sunroof-liner-question.html

My local Ace hardware store sells the Pliobond adhesive. I am going to try to repair it this weekend.

-Dave

1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
I believe it's just the adhesives coming loose. Mine became more noticeable (leading edge of sunroof leather and headliner) after driving far too fast with the sunroof and windows open.

I had it fixed when the car was in for other service at DeMan.
I hear you about driving too fast with the sunroof open!

Originally Posted by dmm993
I had this same issue on my 993 and found a lot of helpful info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441839

My local Ace hardware store sells the Pliobond adhesive. I am going to try to repair it this weekend.

-Dave

1996 993 Carrera Coupe
Guards Red/Black
Awesome. Thanks!!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timely post. I went to Staples and picked up the paper clips and hit up Starbucks for the coffee stirrers. Epoxied the clips to the stirrers and had my clamps. Did a dry run and the fit was very tight and not too maneuverable. The more I thought about it I think the proper length of that clear flexible tubing you can buy at Home Depot, kind of like aquarium tubing would work just as well. Pliobond then just push the slightly oversized length of tubing in the leading edge to hold the vinyl down while it dries.

Having said that, I am seriously, after this beer, heading to Staples and I am going to pick up a roll of the best double sided tape I can find and go that route. Call me lazy but I think it may just be the simplest and fastest solution. I'll post after I try it and let you all know how it works.

Kind of proud of these clamps though.
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I like the 2 way tape with a little adhesive is right up my alley. I just happen to have some on the garage that I used for a piece of side molding on the old VW Golf we used to own. A little Gorilla Glue and this 2 way molding tape did the trick. I ended up purchasing the tape at a body shop and its pretty good stuff--as far as 2 way tape goes I guess.

The Starbucks sticks and clamp method is something I would have never thought of. And to be honest, I still dont get it. KISS is more up my alley.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used contact cement. It does require any clamping. I did this 3+ years ago and it is still holding.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993

Here's the trick that worked for me .... link .... still tight.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

I just used the 2 way tape and see how it holds up. Just cut a 12" strip or so, put it on the panel 1st (made sure I had a little piece of the tape I could get ahold of and pull) and tucked it on. Looks good and see how it holds up. An easy 10 minute DIY.

Taking out the headliner itself is something I wont attempt at this point. Im sticking to KISS.

Good link though. Saw it after the fact.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:14 PM
jsalamunovich
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated messing with it myself so I took mine to a local auto upholstery shop and they did a great job reattaching it. Cost about $100 for the labor.

Quick Reply: Loose leather cover on sunroof