Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Shocks are shot at 80K mi. Is the Bilstein HD/M030's still the best bet for...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

PSS9's...................
Old 08-12-2008, 08:35 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the PSS9/ PSS10 be the best option overall?
If you wanted a specific setting from "soft" to "super tight sport" would that setup allow for the change (without having to physically change the springs as in a M033 to M030 situation)?

What would the best sway bar set up be for the above situation?
What about the bushing set?
How do those 2 items affect the ride?

Other than the whole cost situation, are there ANY disadvantages to going to PSS9/PSS10s?

(If you can't tell, I too have been thinking about getting out of SUV height, with the same ride characteristics questions...)
Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
+1

I think you have M033 and HDs written all over you Steve. Your going to get a great suspension upgrade and a softer ride. Thats about the only difference, in my opinion, your going to see from an "average" driver. I would classify myself as an average driver that likes the raw feel of a sports car.....and plays around on windy, mountain roads, and not Sunday drive behavior. Hence the M030 option for me. It seemed like a good fit for ME. There are a number of positive comments on the M033's and dont think I have seen post where anyone says they suck or I wished I had done something different.
Hey wait a minute, I don't want to be average, I want that "raw feel of a sports car" as you put it. Doesn't that put me in the "he-man category" of M030 owners? I see myself "playing on windy, mountain roads"... well, once or twice a year. "Sunday drive behavior?" Uh uh. Once I get my new suspension set up, I plan on chewing tobacco, spitting it out the window at Sunday drivers, and driving like a bat out of hell... till I spool up to about 35 mph. Where I live it seems like there's a speed camera on every road and a traffic red light camera at every light, so driving past the speed limit will get me a $40 ticket. But I could find some nice twisties on my new set up and enjoy the heck out of that ole car... till I hit the speed limit of 40 mph
Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Oh, aren't you the funny guy. I actually drove the yellow car home (getting an ecu reflash on the smart, of all dumb things to do with THAT halfacar), and as you know.........it really drove OK.

Now hopping into the 120K originals in the C4S today made for an interesting comparison!
Old 08-12-2008, 11:43 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry Steve, for some reason I thought you wanted a softer ride.

Most main streets throughout the SLC Valley are 45mph and no cameras. Split freeways, wide streches of road, and a blast to drive around.

Go M030 and HD's, find some places to play hard, and have some fun!!
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

I recall there being a lot of negative reaction to PSS-9s a few years ago. The gist of it was they were too much of a compromise. the "soft" street settings on the PSS-9 were too bouncy, the track settings still left a lot to be desired compared to a true race suspension.

(that is why I went with M030/HD rather than the PSS two years ago when I redid the suspension on my Coupe. This car only occasionally gets tracked (I have a better vehicle for burning money on track ). I just wanted true Porsche street performance -- read Euro handling -- not the Fed-mandated, soft-American-butt-speced suspension

If you want street firm and great curb appeal, go with the RoW M030. If you want track rocket, get an adjustable track shock. Motons, LEDAS -- something like Mark pictured above.

But I'm not up to a long search for those old threads. It's your money Steve, may be worth a long ago search.

By the way, the Ledas on my race-car are wonderful (all the standard disclaimers apply) but I'm sure a true track suspension, even adjustable, is wrong for your use.

Just my dos centavos
Old 08-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve . . . dude . . . just stick with the Bilstein HD's and either the M030 or M033 springs. You won't be able to tell much of a difference between either spring. For a street car, non-adjustables shocks are just fine.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:46 AM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, if you want it to look good and handle well, go for the HDs and M030s. Lower it to around RS height and you'll be cool when showing up with the gang. For extra smooth handling get the front bushings replaced with some urethane units like from Chris Walrod. It will improve the way the car tracks. I don't DE or autocross but like a nice handling car for the street. I have this set up with 18 inch twists and it will still handle minor bumps and holes in the road without chipping your teeth. Just take it easy over speed bumps and near curbs.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:38 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Steve,
When does everything arrive?

Andreas
Old 08-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MDamen
Dude, if you want it to look good and handle well, go for the HDs and M030s. Lower it to around RS height and you'll be cool when showing up with the gang. For extra smooth handling get the front bushings replaced with some urethane units like from Chris Walrod. It will improve the way the car tracks. I don't DE or autocross but like a nice handling car for the street. I have this set up with 18 inch twists and it will still handle minor bumps and holes in the road without chipping your teeth. Just take it easy over speed bumps and near curbs.
Yeeeeehaaaaw. Thx guys, once again. I'm ordering the M030's and Bilstein HD's (that's High Definition, right?) today or tomorrow. Now about those front bushings... I'm not sure what a bushing is or what urethane is, but it sounds cool I sure would like to improve the way the car tracks - who wouldn't? At the risk of sounding totally lazy (about doing a search), any idea how much these things are and a link to Chris Walrod? About what percentage of people change over to these bushings when upgrading the suspension?

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Steve I had the M030 springs and Bilstein HD's installed on my cab just recently. I have the same 18" rims as you and I don't think it is too harsh or stiff on the road. My car is a cruiser (no track, or DEs,....just twisty back roads and fast on ramps sometimes.) You can dial up or down the ride height to your own likeing. I am still playing around with the height of mine, but I am very happy with the whole new feel to the car.

P.S. My avatar pic is my old high rider suspension
Good to know you like your setup on your cabriolet. As you know, I have pretty much the same car as you. Today, it's going to get ROW MO30s and Bilstein HDs, and 18" RS wheels are a few weeks away.

P.S. Steve, I live in Boston which is pot hole central. I'll let you know how the car feels when I pick it up tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Yeeeeehaaaaw. Thx guys, once again. I'm ordering the M030's and Bilstein HD's (that's High Definition, right?) today or tomorrow. Now about those front bushings... I'm not sure what a bushing is or what urethane is, but it sounds cool I sure would like to improve the way the car tracks - who wouldn't? At the risk of sounding totally lazy (about doing a search), any idea how much these things are and a link to Chris Walrod? About what percentage of people change over to these bushings when upgrading the suspension?

Cheers,
Steve R

Steve,
Get on it, brother.

As for the Walrod Specials - I installed these on my 993 and am very pleased. The poly bushings pretty much elliminated some front end squirrelliness that I had on the highway and generally tightened up the way the car handles. Huge thumbs up for $100 or less.

But if you go this route, I'll need to charge you! Tis not an easy swap....

Andreas
Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Steve,
Get on it, brother.

As for the Walrod Specials - I installed these on my 993 and am very pleased. The poly bushings pretty much elliminated some front end squirrelliness that I had on the highway and generally tightened up the way the car handles. Huge thumbs up for $100 or less.

Andreas
No problem on that...

I'm biting my chops waiting for 830am West Coast time to hit so I can start calling the 2 vendors that I need to contact to buy this stuff. Feeling a little guilty as on CNN this morning they're saying the economy is going to pot and it's all doom and gloom. The Limited Too stores, 600 of them are revamping their stores and converting to "Justice" stores, where the clothes are 25% less because people can't afford to spend money. Then on the other end, I'm buying all this stuff (kind of needed though) for the 993, and getting some furniture (kind of needed too - we moved to a newer house last year and still haven't furnished much of it yet). It's always angst producing but when looking back on times like this, you're usually glad you spent the buck.

It's 830am PST, time to get on the horn. Is a Front Protection Bar crucial for this combo?

Also just PM'd Chris about those bushings.

Steve R
Old 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

*cough*Rennlist Sponsor*cough
Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
*cough*Rennlist Sponsor*cough
I may need to pass on tomorrow if your chronic dry cough persists.....

Andreas

Quick Reply: Shocks are shot at 80K mi. Is the Bilstein HD/M030's still the best bet for...