Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Shocks are shot at 80K mi. Is the Bilstein HD/M030's still the best bet for...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,892 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by face-ache
Looks like youv'e tried a few Louis! whats the kw3 set up?
http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P...nt_3/index.php
Old 08-15-2008, 12:19 AM
face-ache
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great Thx!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Well, I got my car back yesterday, and so far I am loving the ROW MO30s and Bilstein HDs. I immediately noticed that the car was MORE comfortable over bumps and in fact, the suspension seemed quieter than the OEM setup. How is this possible? Here is the history of my car. It is 12 years old and only had 20k miles on it when I bought it. Is it possible that the valves or bump stops got old because of lack of use??? I also noticed that the steering is more precise now.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Well, I got my car back yesterday, and so far I am loving the ROW MO30s and Bilstein HDs. I immediately noticed that the car was MORE comfortable over bumps and in fact, the suspension seemed quieter than the OEM setup. How is this possible? Here is the history of my car. It is 12 years old and only had 20k miles on it when I bought it. Is it possible that the valves or bump stops got old because of lack of use??? I also noticed that the steering is more precise now.
I am breathing a sigh of relief right now after reading your post. I was starting to worry as people said they HAD the M030 and HD's and switched to something else for whatever reason. I didn't want a car that was bone crunching over every bump and grind in the road so I'm happy to hear that's not the case. I just ordered the bushings from Paragon and one set of bump stops. The dealer said I didn't need the rear bump stops...only the front ones as the rears don't usually need replacing. Does that sound right?

I'm very happy for you that your car is "like new" or better. Thx much for the post.

Steve R
Old 08-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Can ANYONE explain why my car seems smoother over bumps with the MO30s compared to the stock setup? I paid particular attention to the bumps on the highway between smooth tarmac and grooved tarmac that are created when the highway repaving crew tear up the road--we're ALWAYS repaving in Massachusetts. I didn't slow down, and the car absorbed each bump nicely. I also noted that there was less noise from the rear suspension. Explain!

Steve, it's too bad you don't live closer or I would let you test my car.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went I went from stock to the M030/HD set up, by no means was it any smoother. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it being a firmer ride. If handles extremely well but I still get the filling rattle on rougher roads. It doesnt bother me at all, now, because I have become used to it. Its a sports car after all.

Now if I could just wave the magic wand and get rid of that every so often LWF stall !!! I had a back to back to back stall yesterday.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Well, then there must have been something wrong with my original suspension. Anyone have ANY ideas? It's definitely smoother than before, still stiff like a sports car should be, but not jarring. So Steve, take my experience with a grain of salt. It should at least tell you that the ride is tolerable and won't make you feel like your teeth are going to fall out. I'll keep you posted as I continue to put miles on the MO30s.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I just ordered the bushings from Paragon and one set of bump stops. The dealer said I didn't need the rear bump stops...only the front ones as the rears don't usually need replacing. Does that sound right?

Steve,
What 'bumpstops' are you referring to?

Andreas
Old 08-17-2008, 12:03 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
Can ANYONE explain why my car seems smoother over bumps with the MO30s compared to the stock setup?
I just went from stock shocks at 72K miles to Bilstein PSS10s and lowered to ROW sport height. I noticed immediately that the car handles better, overall there is less noise, and yes the bumps are smoother.

Does not surprise me: I have always suspected the original shocks were in bad need of replacement. I would venture the same for you, that the stock setup you had was shot and the shocks were not doing their jobs well enough, and that's why you feel the difference you do.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Steve,
What 'bumpstops' are you referring to?
Andreas
I thought that's what the guy from Sunset said that I needed. I must have gotten the terminology wrong. Whatever they are called, they're coming from the west coast very soon.

I'm getting very excited about having a car that handles better. After I get my rattling shifter worked out, I'll be done for a while.

Steve R
Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by jimhsu
I would venture the same for you, that the stock setup you had was shot and the shocks were not doing their jobs well enough, and that's why you feel the difference you do.
But my car had 20k miles on it when I bought it 3 weeks ago. It has 22k miles on it now. Yeah, I've been having fun driving it around, but I also had to drive it home from Philly to Boston. ANYWAY, my question is: is it possible that the suspension sat too much??? It passed its PPI with flying colors...

Steve, they are called bump stops. Also, now that I've had the weekend to drive the car, I still stand by my earlier statement that my car's steering is more precise, and that the car is a bit more comfortable over the bumps. It's definitely not a Lincoln or Cadillac over bumps, but it isn't going to shatter your teeth or break your back either. I do not notice any additional cowl shake either (although it seems like the 993 Cabriolet was a fairly stiff cabriolet to begin with). I think you will be happy with the MO30s. Sure, they are firm and you will feel every bump, but it is certainly not uncomfortable or unbearable, and believe me, I've been in cars with awful springs. I would say that the comfort level is what you would expect for a German sports suspension.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Steve, had to drive over a couple of recessed train tracks today. It was not bumpy, and I barely felt anything--just heard the tire and suspension noises. After having driven over the first set, I was a bit more brave to not slow down for the second set--I went over the second tracks at about 25-30 mph, and I didn't feel like I was going to break my back. My garage said that it is not uncommon for customers who switch from stock to MO30 springs to notice that their cars feel smoother.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

This is music to my ears Boston911fan. I can't wait to get my set up installed.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:00 AM
samsnead
Pro

From what I understand as the stock suspension ages it actually gets stiffer.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I thought that's what the guy from Sunset said that I needed. I must have gotten the terminology wrong.
Steve,
The deteriorating pieces at the tops of your shocks are 'bump stops', or snubbers. They come as part of the new Bilstein shocks you ordered.

The only parts you need from Sunset are the four Porsche M030 coils.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Shocks are shot at 80K mi. Is the Bilstein HD/M030's still the best bet for...