Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I do my garage floor in VCT (Vinyl Composite Tile) again? (Photo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:16 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do the VCTs hold up to jacks and jack stands?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm, I love my floor...but its just old fashioned concrete. I can hammer on it, weld on it, torch on it, jackstand on it, dump oil on it, put water on it...and it just seems to last forever...!!

Sorry for the humour, but I just can't see what can be better than bare concrete for a shop.... worked for me for 20 years of wrenching!

Cheers,

MIke
Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmmm, I love my floor...but its just old fashioned concrete. I can hammer on it, weld on it, torch on it, jackstand on it, dump oil on it, put water on it...and it just seems to last forever...!!

Sorry for the humour, but I just can't see what can be better than bare concrete for a shop.... worked for me for 20 years of wrenching!...
I have to say that I am in the same department. Those VCT tiles and other fancy floors look great and are probably very functional if you live in the south and don't do any heavy work. With the crap that falls off of our cars in the winter (daily drivers - not the Porsche) and with other heavy shop work, it wouldn't last one season. I'm building a new garage right now and will have to stick with a painted concrete floor. I can only admire those nice pics
Old 08-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Tiled floor here... I do work on my cars, welding, etc. The tiles have held up to the abuse without any issues... and when I am done, a quick mop or hose would bring them back to looking new...

Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I have to say that I am in the same department. Those VCT tiles and other fancy floors look great and are probably very functional if you live in the south and don't do any heavy work. With the crap that falls off of our cars in the winter (daily drivers - not the Porsche) and with other heavy shop work, it wouldn't last one season. I'm building a new garage right now and will have to stick with a painted concrete floor. I can only admire those nice pics
Interesting. The gent who posted before you mentioned a concrete floor being perfect for him, and indestructable. Then you posted the above and before I read the entire post, I thought... Hmmmm, maybe I won't do that epoxy floor this fall afterall if they potentially lift after just 4 years. I read the very end of your post and it said that you painted the concrete floor. Painted? Doesn't that qualify as fancy? Also, doesn't the paint lift up after 2 years or so? That could be a really cheap option for me

Sometimes I think - ahhh, screw it, I'll just leave it bare concrete, then I never have to worry about it. But painting it wouldn't add much cost and at least give it a semi finished look for 2-3 years.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 208 Posts

Interesting post!

I painted and put a "hardener" in with my epoxy floor.

It still looks good - but it has started to lift in a few high traffic areas.

It is easy to keep clean - the tyres do make a "slight" brown patch that wont clean off - but in spring - i give it a good once over and it looks good enough. It is 5 years old this Christmas.
Attached Images  
Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a lot of reading last night including looking at the selection of VCT tiles that are available. I think the consensus at the Garage Journal is that white is not the best choice if you are worried about a bit of discoloration from tires. I haven't painted my floor yet so my options are still wide open.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I think finished floors vs. "bare" floors really depends on your use and needs. I do agree that my plain old concrete floor is very plain, but all I do is run my 3500psi pressure washer on it every year, and I don't care if I drop some oil if I have a 911 on the lift and don't quite catch all the oil. Its also non-slip even with oil, where VCT or Tile woud be wickedly slippery with some oil on it.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Would I do my garage floor in VCT (Vinyl Composite Tile) again? (Photo)