993 Forum 1995-1998

Smog Referee questions re SAI CEL on a '96

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Congrats. You got lucky Kika.....I scheduled an inspection with the smog ref and then the dept of consumer affairs called to tell me they were cancelling my appointment due to the budget crisis. My car is scheduled to go in for a top-end rebuild and new clutch 2 weeks from now. Got tired of messing around with the SAI CEL. Guides were worn anyway and motor has a few minor oil leaks. Should be tight as a drum when I get it back.
I was worried I was headed down that road myself. I sort of budgeted for the inevitable when I bought the car, so I am glad that I can put it off at least another 2 years.

hmmm, maybe some new wheels.......
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM
kevin993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2ndof2-

I'm likely headed down this road as well. Mind if I ask who is going to do the work for you and how much $$ they're going to charge? Just trying to see if there is a wide variation in cost for something this pricey.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kevin you have a PM
Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slapshot
Unfortunately, that won't work in Cali. Cars need to be OBDII compliant, with a functioning OBDII system. Should they not be able to plug it in, they would fail you on the spot and require you, as part of the process, to get your OBDII system working.
YET another reason I am glad I no longer live in CA....

CA's system is about as @$$-backwards as it gets. Stringent AND dumb. Great combination.

By not even doing the sniff, they obviously care more about the a functioning OBD2 than the actual amount of pollutants coming out of tailpipes.

Really forward thinking. So forward that they forgot why there is smog, and why they even have a smog check system.

Are they more worried about air pollution or about functioning, happy silicone chips?

Last edited by jimhsu; 08-15-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 PM
henkinc
Racer

Guys - just tested my CEL with the Equus and got only ONE code - 4061. I recall this means only ONE side has the SAI problem, or else I would have gotten TWO codes. I think theother one is 4062. Please advise which side this 4061 is, and also whether just cleaning this one side's ports makes sense when the car is in for 30k mile maintanenace. FYI _ it is alos possible my problem was induiced by idiotically idling for a full 10 mins when I got the car to its emission test and wanted to "warm it up" - hence possibly clogging the SAI valve. Oil use is normal (1k/qt) so possile my guides are ok and it is just the SAI valve. The PO swaers he did not have the SAI problem. Anyway, please advsie. Charlie
Old 08-23-2008, 02:46 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really forward thinking. So forward that they forgot why there is smog, and why they even have a smog check system.
Not to start an arguement here but that's kind of a Ludite's view. If the OBDII basically tests for emissions (and that's basically what it does by checking all systems are operational) then isn't that as good as a snif test? By the way, California isn't the only state that uses that test methodology.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM
henkinc
Racer

Nuts - maybe the code was 1461. Have erased it now.

Quick Reply: Smog Referee questions re SAI CEL on a '96