993 Forum 1995-1998

Smog Referee questions re SAI CEL on a '96

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Smog Referee questions re SAI CEL on a '96

I've been reading a number of posts about CELs and California owners taking cars in to have the referee pass them for smog.

Here's the deal:
My car needs to pass a smog test for renewing registration and has blocked ports on one bank of cyclinders (possibly both banks now but who knows).

Oil consumption has been about a quart every 1,000 miles or so.

I'd really prefer to tackle a top-end rebuild once the clutch is toast so I'm looking for the lowest cost solution to get this car to pass for now.

Anyone here been able to get their car "passed" even with a CEL for SAI?

There are tons of posts about resetting readiness codes etc but not sure if this will work for resetting the SAI codes?

Any positive experiences or advice welcome!

Thanks
Old 07-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've coached a few people through this. Summary:

Option 1:
- Reset the SAI CEL
- Do a drive cycle to reset the readiness codes
- Drive immediately into a smog test center and pass smog

Option 2:
- Schedule an appt with the referee
- On your way there, pull over, reset the SAI Code
- Tell the referee that the Readiness indicators won't set after your battery just died/new battery/etc.
- The car will pass the visual and tailpipe tests, the readiness codes will fail, and the car will be passed by the referee.

PM me if you want to talk about it.

Don
Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
I've coached a few people through this. Summary:

Option 1:
- Reset the SAI CEL
- Drive immediately into a smog test center and pass smog

Option 2:
- Schedule an appt with the referee
- On your way there, pull over, reset the SAI Code
- Tell the referee that the Readiness indicators won't set after your battery just died/new battery/etc.
- The car will pass the visual and tailpipe tests, the readiness codes will fail, and the car will be passed by the referee.

PM me if you want to talk about it.

Don

That's the ticket
Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"- Reset the SAI CEL
- Drive immediately into a smog test center and pass smog"

Sorry, won't work!

1. Resetting the CEL resets (clears all readiness states).
2. Doing a drive cycle is a waste of time as the SAI MUST pass
before any further readiness tests are attempted by the DME ECM.
3. Driving to the smog test station without reading the state of
the readiness states using an ODBII scanner is a further waste of
time.

Bottom line: Hoping that the readiness states will/have set without
solving/understanding the problems first, misleads the vehicle owner.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Loren - I understand what you are saying and it is logical. However, I've seen what I've suggested work.

YMMV.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:10 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don,
I've heard the same thing from several mechanics. My registration/smog will be coming up in the Fall so I'm planning stategies now to get it smogged.
Does anyone know if the car passes 4 of the 5 "flags" will it clear smog?
Phil
Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Does anyone know if the car passes 4 of the 5 "flags" will it clear smog?"

With the early OBDII Porsches (993), it's all or none.
i.e. for the main readiness states (Continuous Tests).

Many fail to understand that the SAI and tank venting
MUST complete before ANY additional tests are begun!
So, drive all you want (It'll be fun though), but the
readiness states will never set without completion of
the SAI and tank venting.

Non-Continuous Tests
- Three Way Catalytic Converter (TWC) Effeciency
- Fuel Tank Ventilation (EVAP)
- Secondary Air Injection (SAI)
- Oxygen Sensors
- Oxygen Sensor Heating
Continuous Tests
- Fuel System (TRIM)
- ECM Faults (DTC)
- Cylinder Misfire
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Loren you have a PM
Old 07-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

It worked for me. I kept getting CELs (SAIs), and bought the car from out of state and needed to register it in CA (I'm just south of you in Calabasas)
So...
I reset a few times using my $38 harbour freight scan tool. The CEL would go out, and after I erased the faults I would get a period of about 25-75 miles with no CEL, but the rediness codes hadn't reset yet. There was though a short period of a few miles after the OBII codes were ready but it hadn't thrown the code yet.

I eventually hit a point where the readiness codes were set and it hadn't thrown a CEL yet, and in that short 10-20 mile period before the SAI threw the fault codes, I made it to my local smog place and passed the test. It took like a week and a half to get it to occur at the right time and place, but it worked.

A couple months later, when I had the time, I cleaned the SAI ports and now it doesn't do it anymore.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Andrew,

Whats your mileage and history on the car regarding stop/go traffic etc. ?

Who cleared your ports?

Did you have a scanner or anything to personally monitor the readiness codes? I just got my scanner yesterday so I can clear codes and check readiness.

How are the valve guides? Anyone do the wiggle test or did you ever have the top end redone?

My car was owned by someone who lived near you and I am almost certain that stop/go in hot temps with the engine tray on over the car's first 40K miles caused high engine temps and premature valve guide wear almost certainly causing the clogged ports problem and SAI fault.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:25 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't count on the referees any longer. The lovely Terminator just nixed (laid off) all community college smog referee personnel as of July 31. No way to get it passed that way at least not for quite a while:

"Per the Governor's Executive Order issued on July 31, 2008 concerning the state budget, Referee and Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) Repair Assistance, and Vehicle Retirement services have been suspended until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience. Consumers may call the Department of Consumer Affairs, Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210. Also, please check our web site periodically to confirm when both Referee and CAP services will resume."
Old 08-14-2008, 01:40 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

When all else fails: check out what these guys are offering. Only tool you need to pass smog test is a Philips screwdriver. (Hint: if OBD2 readers at the smog station cannot "establish connection" they have to switch to tailpipe sniff test.)

http://carplugs.com/products.html

The whole CEL, OBD2 thing is, in my opinion, a complete scam, or at the very least it's a misguided trust placed on all things computer while forgetting what actually matters: the actual tailpipe exhaust quality.

Next time you drive by a smog testing station: look across the street, or down the block, and guaranteed you will see an auto shop advertising "We Fix Your Failed Emissions." In WA state, often the smog stations are connected to such an auto shop that will take your money and then "pass" your failed emissions test. Basically even if you are driving a smog machine, you will "pass" if you go next door and pay up.

Rarely does the OBD2 fail you because of any actual dirty emissions from your tailpipe.

Remember that the purpose of the whole smog check thing is to prevent smog? And what actually leads to smog but actual exhaust gas? So if they really are serious about decreasing smog, why not stick with tailpipe emissions test, instead of seeing which cars have "fault codes" and which don't.....unhappy ECUs have never killed any polar bears.

I have had a couple of cars (BMW, Toyota) that the OBD2 test somehow didn't work, with the smog testers unable to establish a connection with my ECU through the OBD2. But, each time, they switch to a tailpipe sniff test and the cars come through with splendid test results.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Unfortunately, that won't work in Cali. Cars need to be OBDII compliant, with a functioning OBDII system. Should they not be able to plug it in, they would fail you on the spot and require you, as part of the process, to get your OBDII system working. Only the referee could pass you via sniff test, no Test Only or standart Test stations can proceeed to tailpipe test if the OBDII is out of sorts or not functioning for any reason. Would have been a simple fix though!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I just passed smog last week. I was a bit worried about it, since I have had a few CELs over the past year. Once for a misfire, and twice for clogged ports. THe interval was aobut 3-4 months between CELs, which in my case is maybe a 1000-1300 miles. My last CEL was sometime in April or May. I had my mechanic reset the CEL.

I had no problems, passed fine.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Congrats. You got lucky Kika.....I scheduled an inspection with the smog ref and then the dept of consumer affairs called to tell me they were cancelling my appointment due to the budget crisis. My car is scheduled to go in for a top-end rebuild and new clutch 2 weeks from now. Got tired of messing around with the SAI CEL. Guides were worn anyway and motor has a few minor oil leaks. Should be tight as a drum when I get it back.

Quick Reply: Smog Referee questions re SAI CEL on a '96