Sponsored by:

Braided Brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Braided Brake lines

New shocks and springs (M033 + Monroes) on the way. I want to change out the brake lines and pads while I'm in there. The car is mainly a NJ DD + 5-6 AutoX's per year. Any suggested brands and sources or should I stick with the OEM rubber lines and pads? Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased my SSbrake lines through Paragon Products. I believe they are in Florida(not positive) They seem to be pretty awsome. Tight brakes rock!!! Im sure SS brake lines are tons better than OEM rubber. As far as the pads go , I stayed OEM on them. Sunset out of Oregon gives good pricing on OEM stuff. Good luck and have fun!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:33 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

I got mine from Stable Energies in Garfield. I have no idea as to the "brand". Been delighted with them, they give a very nice firm feel to the pedal.

Last edited by fast_freddy; 07-22-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Pan58
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

StopTech makes some very good lines..
Old 07-22-2008, 09:47 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I think I'll give Paragon a shout since they are a Rennlist sponsor.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I always purchase Goodridge lines, they are very, very nice, but usually cost a little more. I've had a set for the C4S, the day after I brought her home.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Thanks Stealth 993.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

On the PCA tech board, Joel Riser(tech chair) advises against them. His opinion is that the stocks are great as is and the stainless have a tendency to not be as compliant hence greater chance of leaks down the road. Just saying.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:22 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We sell the Goodridge lines. Give me a call if I can assist!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:34 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Good point to consider Roger. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by prshguy
On the PCA tech board, Joel Riser(tech chair) advises against them. His opinion is that the stocks are great as is and the stainless have a tendency to not be as compliant hence greater chance of leaks down the road. Just saying.
I have had Goodridge lines on almost every car I have owned, on my M3, they were on there for 11 years with no issues! That's a few hundred track days.

If you get a quality SS line, it is BETTER then the stock rubber ones, I HAVE seen the rubber ones fail on the track, it's not pretty! No one I know has had a SS line fail.

For the life of me, I can't see how they could leak. There 3 pieces, one line & 2 end points, there the same as the stock ones, but don't bulge when pressurized & have a FAR higher abrasion rate. Of course much firmer pedal & far better brake modulation.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I have had Goodridge lines on almost every car I have owned, on my M3, they were on there for 11 years with no issues! That's a few hundred track days.

If you get a quality SS line, it is BETTER then the stock rubber ones, I HAVE seen the rubber ones fail on the track, it's not pretty! No one I know has had a SS line fail.

For the life of me, I can't see how they could leak. There 3 pieces, one line & 2 end points, there the same as the stock ones, but don't bulge when pressurized & have a FAR higher abrasion rate. Of course much firmer pedal & far better brake modulation.
IIRC, the concern was the banjo bolt working loose, not so much the line itself failing. It probably wouldn't stop me from installing the lines but would just be sure to routinely check the bolts.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by prshguy
IIRC, the concern was the banjo bolt working loose, not so much the line itself failing. It probably wouldn't stop me from installing the lines but would just be sure to routinely check the bolts.

It's the same as the OEM line, there is no difference, I really can't see this happening any more then with the OEM line. Maybe if they are installed wrong, & the line is to short, then as you turn the wheel, it can tug & loosen up the bolt by tugging at the banjo>?
Old 07-23-2008, 01:34 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always wondered why companies like Porsche don't just have SS lines on the car to begin with. I too am of the opinion SS lines are generally superior and I can't believe the incremental cost is much especially if the "upgrade" can be advertised as a feature...or at least offered as an option. It would appear the manufacturers don't see the difference as that big a deal. It makes me wonder if we are victims of thinking in terms of yesterday's technology where perhaps at one time there was a big difference but not so much today.

By the way, AFAIK most flexible brake line failures I've seen or heard about resulted from old age where the interior of the soft line swelled and closed up - a problem braided lines could still have. A properly routed brake line shouldn't abrade itself to death.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I've always wondered why companies like Porsche don't just have SS lines on the car to begin with. I too am of the opinion SS lines are generally superior and I can't believe the incremental cost is much especially if the "upgrade" can be advertised as a feature...or at least offered as an option. It would appear the manufacturers don't see the difference as that big a deal. It makes me wonder if we are victims of thinking in terms of yesterday's technology where perhaps at one time there was a big difference but not so much today.

By the way, AFAIK most flexible brake line failures I've seen or heard about resulted from old age where the interior of the soft line swelled and closed up - a problem braided lines could still have. A properly routed brake line shouldn't abrade itself to death.
Simple.... First of all, the consumer doesn't see it. Out of sight, out of mind. Secondly, lets assume Porsche sells something like 90m cars a year. Lets assume at the manufacturing level there is a $10 difference between the two brake lines and that they couldnt pass on that extra $50 (at retail) for the extra spiffy S/S lines. That's an extra $900,000 that Porsche makes a year for that one item on the car, now multiply that number times at least 20 different items of similar cost and perceived insignificance on a car and you have an extra $18,000,000 to go into the coffers.

Quick Reply: Braided Brake lines