Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a repaint on a 911.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM
swing2hard
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isnt going to be any blending on my car, it is going to be a complete repaint at there is at least 1 ding on every fender & even on the top of the doors & about 50 little dings all over the hood, the hood is aluminum & cannot be fixed properly with that many hits, so it has to be replaced. Good & bad of it all, bummer it has to be done but it is going to be completely fresh.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know how you can say it hurts the resale value without seeing the "before". If you repaint a car that has fine factory paint, then sure, it'll hurt value. But what are you supposed to do if your car needs paint?

Does anyone really believe that a sandblasted, pock-marked car is worth more than a well-done respray just because it's original?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
swing2hard
Advanced

hehe good point there! but I do feel like everyone else said to document everything with before & after pics so the buyer doesnt think your trying to hide something.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I really see no issue with what you are considering. Your car has damage caused by Mother Nature and you would like to return it to its former state. That said, changing the color is the last thing I would do to our relatively new cars.

Take numerous pics showing the hail damage and have the car properly repaired. If the shop agrees, take a crap load of photos throughout the refinishing process. If done right, the car should sell to a person looking for a driver some day - without issue.

As for the hood, I'm 99.3% sure that it's steel - aluminum ones are a rarity reserved for the likes of the GT2, the RS, or the Porsche Museum.

Andreas
Old 07-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon

Does anyone really believe that a sandblasted, pock-marked car is worth more than a well-done respray just because it's original?
BINGO. What are you supposed to do. Keep a hail damaged car that looks like crap just because it has original paint, or fix it properly an get on with life.

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
swing2hard
Advanced

I have taken this car to 5 different high end body shops, every single one of them said the hood was aluminum, it doesnt sound like steel. Even if it wasnt aluminum I would still insist on getting the whole thing replaced. With it being black there is no way to make it perfect with that many dings in it.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by swing2hard
I have taken this car to 5 different high end body shops, every single one of them said the hood was aluminum, it doesnt sound like steel.
Just get a magnet and you will know for sure.

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swing2hard
I have taken this car to 5 different high end body shops, every single one of them said the hood was aluminum, it doesnt sound like steel.
Scary. Time to find 5 more "high end" body shops that may have worked on a 911 before.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a guards red 95 C4 cab with 24k miles on it, it had single stage paint. The original owner left it in the Florida sun every day at work for 9 years. It was so faded, he wound up having the entire car resprayed a year before I bought it. They did a hell of a job, and the best thing about it was, their paint and clearcoat was so much harder than the factory paint it never picked up a single rock chip during the time I owned it. The guy I sold it to didn't care at all that it had been resprayed. YMMV.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know how you can say it hurts the resale value without seeing the "before". If you repaint a car that has fine factory paint, then sure, it'll hurt value. But what are you supposed to do if your car needs paint?

Exactly! It seems that most people answer the "repaint question" as if they were comparing a nice, original paint job to a nice repaint. Of course an original paing job will bring more money, all else being equal. But, who repaints a car that doesn't need it? If the work is done well by the best shop you can find, the repaint will increase the value of a hail damaged car.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by verboten

If you want an investment, buy an old muscle car and fix it up.
Well said. With the mods that we do on these cars the repaint is almost a non issue. the slippery slope takes the average Rennlisters car far out of the stock range and not much as a collectable.

I could care less about resale. I drive it and enjoy it. If and when I sell it I will take a bath. But oh what a ride it will have been.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,036 Likes on 1,791 Posts

A respray will increase resale value on an average, non-garage queen 993 if it's properly documented.

My first 993 was a black cab with 47k mi which I bought six months after it had a complete respray. The PO had a small accident (cracked front bumper and broken signal in a parking lot). The two fenders and hood had to be blended so the owner paid the difference and got the entire car sprayed. He provided full documentation including pictures of the car at the scene of the accident, insurance paperwork and a complete invoice documenting the work. The job was done at Beverly Hills Porsche so it was a quality job. It was a big selling point to me since I'm very particular and my car looked flawless...better than some 20k mi garage queens I've seen. When I sold my car, I got top dollar due, among other things, to the condition of the body and paint.

Another example is my current C4S. I had a number of rock chips on the bumper, fenders, hood and windshield for which I got an insurance claim. Insurance paid for the car to be sprayed from the front bumper to a blend on the doors and a new windshield. I paid the balance to have the entire car sprayed. I took it to one of the top body shops in Vancouver and they did a phenomenal job. My 90k mi car looks better in many respects to my previous 30k mi garage queen and the $8,500 respray has certainly added value. Who in their right mind would prefer a car with 10 y/o, 90k mi tired paint and a pitted windshield instead of an unblemished finish, new windshield, new seals, emblem, headlamps, etc???

Last edited by Wilder; 07-16-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Methinks one's perspective on this all comes down to whether or not your own car has been resprayed.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A better question might be, among the various painting options, are there ANY that have a positive ROI on resale?

Surely, Louis' stunning paint added value and made the car much easier to sell, but I bet it didn't add the $10k+ it would cost to have done.

However, spending a few hundred on paintless dent removal and a couple of thousand on a front end respray may just pay for themselves.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,036 Likes on 1,791 Posts

A better question might be, among the various painting options, are there ANY that have a positive ROI on resale?

Surely, Louis' stunning paint added value and made the car much easier to sell, but I bet it didn't add the $10k+ it would cost to have done.

However, spending a few hundred on paintless dent removal and a couple of thousand on a front end respray may just pay for themselves.
Thanks for the comment Jon...you raise a good point. In my case, I didn't pay an $8,500 premium when I bought my cab because of the respray but I did pay for a car in above average condition. Likewise, I have not priced any of the $8,500 respray cost into my C4S.

I don't think you'll see positive ROI on resale but if the car requires repair, be it due to an accident, hail or rock chips, insurance will be covering all or part of the repair so one will likely not be $$$ out of pocket, the car could be easier to sell and it could command a slightly higher value if condition is improved upon and it's fully documented. Dentless is the best way to go if the damage can be fixed that way. I too like to streer clear of paint if possible.

Quick Reply: Does a repaint on a 911.....