Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does a repaint on a 911.....

hurt the resale value of the car?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For some buyers I think it would... I'd document the whole thing very well, including before pictures and repair documentation. This is the hail damage, right?

Some folks, if documented well and done nicely (not at Maaco), may prefer a respray.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, if it's associated with undocumented severe damage.

No, if it's a front bumper respray.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
... This is the hail damage, right? ....
If somebody is trying to explain a repaint by saying "hail damage" they're probably lying.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In almost all cases, yes. Body shops vehemently disagree, but no matter how much labor is poured in, an aftermarket job can't equal what the factory can do - and "original paint" always has cachet. I would explore all other options. Have you shown it to a good paintless dent guy? These guys can work miracles. Some even travel to a hailstorm area for a month or two and work under contract for dealerships.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the answer to the question depends a LOT on what was repainted. As TOEric said, it's no big deal to respray the front bumper. Repainting more -- especially the entire car -- requires more explanation. Plus, how many 1990s cars don't need some level of touching up?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Yes, if it's associated with undocumented severe damage.

Eric is correct. I just did the hood and the bumper on the black car "Black Bart" I just sold. I also documented the entire process of the repaint for the new owner. It was done due to rock chips. Once he saw how it was done and why, it was not an issue. Now some people are all about "original" and to those people it would matter. Our cars are getting older and resprays come with the territory as long as they are done correctly and for the right reason. Also documentation of the respray is a must IMHO.

Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 08:56 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paint work always, always, always hurts the value of a 911.

I can imagine a couple of rare exceptions, such as, for example, a 200,000 mile 993 that has been meticulously maintained but which has very worn paint. A *proper* respray would increase its value, but only marginally -- because it's still a 200K car.

Another problem with resprays, and with bodywork in general, is that the work is almost always done poorly.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:19 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Another problem with resprays, and with bodywork in general, is that the work is almost always done poorly.
As Metallica would say, "Sad but true" 9 out of 10 body shops exist for insurance work like getting a Camry back on the road, not for doing collector jobs. Only too often you find out which is which after the job is done.

It's not so much the re-paint per se, but the damage (even lots of road rash) that neccesitated the re-paint that's the issue. Again, document, document, photo document, even with a bumper re-spray, you don't want to leave any doubts that you're trying to hide anything.

I like the idea of showing the hail damage to some paintless guys first. Maybe I'd leave the "patina" on a Turbo S, but unless the car is a super rare, numbers matching "all original" thing, the car needs to be fixed, value be damned!
Old 07-14-2008, 09:31 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
True, but with metalic paint this could require doing adjoining panels to blend the paint unless the original is close to pristine and/or the shop is REALLY good at matching the paint.

P.S. MY car was deeply keyed when it was with the previous owner, necessitating the front fender and an adjoining panel respray, and the bumper was resprayed. The work was really well done by a shop that does 90% porsche work and it's hard to tell unless you know what to look for. Even so, I'm sure if I tried to sell it, a buyer would try to ding me somewhat on price. I think impairment of value depends on whether it is collector type who is buying it. (After all, even 356's which are repainted/restored sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars). Otherwise, if it's a normal buyer, I think what's most important is the overall feel and condition of the car (engine, shifting, condition, interior) , and not just whether the paint is original.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:55 AM
verboten
Racer

As our cars approach 15 years of age and older, a repaint is more common. In addition, a good shop can not only match the paint so you can't tell the difference, they can even match or remove the factory orange peel from the clear coat.

I say go ahead and paint the car whatever color you want, maybe even Rivera Blue. In the future, if you have to sell it for a few thousand $$ less, who cares. The price difference will not be able to match the enjoyment from driving a pristine, no rock chips, color of your liking.

If you want an investment, buy an old muscle car and fix it up.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by verboten
I say go ahead and paint the car whatever color you want, maybe even Rivera Blue. In the future, if you have to sell it for a few thousand $$ less, who cares. The price difference will not be able to match the enjoyment from driving a pristine, no rock chips, color of your liking.
So what happens when someone paints his black 993 riviera blue, and enjoys driving it, with pristine paint, right up until the moment when he opens the front trunk, or the engine lid, or peers into the wheel wells, and sees...black paint. That's a great selling point.

Allow me to suggest that high-quality paintwork on an otherwise nice 993 will have very little effect on value; but that a color change will probably reduce value by 50 percent or more.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:14 AM
swing2hard
Advanced

Yeah the damage is from the hail storm, the hood has about 50 little dings on it & there is no other choice but to replace the hood, you cant fix an aluminum hood to be perfect & especially black. There is only 1 ding on the front & rear fenders & has to be fixed, the paint the body shop is using is the top of the line & they will cut & buff it just like they do at the factory & should be close to original looking at least to the average joe, maybe not your top knotch enthusiast. Oh by the way I am going to put some pictures on here of the raccoon I nailed on the way to work this morning, trashed the front bumper.....I might have a freshly painted 996 for sale shortly, this thing is bringing me bad luck!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swing2hard
you cant fix an aluminum hood to be perfect & especially black.
You have an aluminum hood? That's an RS part and worth a huge amount of money. Are you sure it's aluminum?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
As Metallica would say, "Sad but true" 9 out of 10 body shops exist for insurance work like getting a Camry back on the road, not for doing collector jobs. Only too often you find out which is which after the job is done.
That's a fact, there are "restoration" shops and "production" shops, and 95% of shops, even high-end ones, are in the latter category. Production shops expect to make money on every job. A restoration shop typically does a few jobs a year, and just hopes to break even on some jobs, and really hit a home run on a few.

I would add that I don't consider bumper work "repaints". I look at bumpers as being sacrificial. But I would not let a shop "blend" the fenders to a bumper respray, it is not necessary.

Changing colors is always a bad idea, unless it's a 200K or salvage car where it just doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Does a repaint on a 911.....