Sponsored by:

Help! I smashed my 993!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:54 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Help! I smashed my 993!!

I was heading home from work today in the 993 and had a sudden hydroplane. I don't know what happened. It was raining lightly and I was going maybe 70. There was no warning, light feeling, anything. It just suddenly went into a spin. I was aware of what was happening and tried to take it off the road back end first, but I really had no control. I went off the right side and hit a ditch. Got out and checked everything and then drove it on home.

My steering wheel is still straight, oil cooler appears okay, gages read normal and there wasn't too much vibration, despite the grass wedged in my tires. Damage: front and rear spoilers are shot, glovebox locking hinge broke, PS headlight is slightly dislodged. The thing that concerns me is the sheet metal under the front. As you can see in the pics, it is a bit mangled. All body sheet metal appears fine.

What should I look for in getting this repaired? Any big problems that could be looming? Anybody have spoilers for sale?

I love this car and the only reason I am driving it daily is that I haven't picked up my 968 from the shop. Was supposed to have got it yesterday, but I had him go ahead and fix and oil leak and was going Sat to get it. I am sickened by this. I guess the important thing is that I wasn't hurt, but I have only had this car a couple months and several things had to go wrong for this to happen.

Here's the carnage pics for you to look over and maybe advise.

-Bart
Attached Images          
Old 07-10-2008, 10:00 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

oh Bart, that hurts... sorry.

If not for the trunk damage, headlight protruding and hood alignment I'd say "euro bumpers!" and that'd be about it... but the front took a pretty hard hit. I'd be concerned that that right front has some more serious problems. If the support for the headlight in the RF fender has moved and the hood is out of whack in relation to the RF fender... well, that is bad news. Everything can be fixed... but it ain't pretty.
Good luck sir!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your cirumstance.

Luckily it looks to be cosmetic, so you should be back n the road in no time.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM
shamrock
Racer

You poor guy , my heartfelt sympathies.
I can't offer professional advice on the damage , but there's nothing I can see there that can't be fixed/ made even better. It's a perfect opportunity to make the best even better ... I.e. put in those big ovals / rsrs / renew heat shields while replacing the rear bumper.
I sincerely hope she's back on the road good as new very shortly.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

Wow, glad you're okay and hope the front end can be fixed.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 PM
bart1
Race Car

I am trying to tell myself it's just a car, but it sure doesn't feel like it. At least I am okay and have something else to drive. I'm thankful for that.

That's what I am concerned about, Mark. The trunk opens and closes normally, so it's not terriblt bad. That's the scary part, though - I am not sure what might be slightly tweaked. I have a pretty decent local body shop, so I will let them evaluate it.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best news is you're ok. The car will be ok too - although it might not seem that way right now. Maybe its time for some Litronics and some turbo bumpers

Best wishes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:09 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scary.. glad your o.k. everything is fixable many of the damage parts could be do it yourself repairs. All is not lost.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What a bummer...

Earlier this evening, I was reading your post about your upcoming European adventure when my wife saw your avatar and remarked how pretty a color your 993 was. Sorry to hear it got banged up tonight.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look nearly as bad as mine did (some old lady hit me a week after I got it) and mine was able to be repaired without issue. You'll be fine, and I agree that its a GREAT time to go Euro on the bumpers. I'm kicking myself for not doing it when mine was replaced

Glad you are ok. I know all about the wet. I offed my WRX after hitting a hidden puddle in a construction zone and put it into some shrubs, and I was going well below the speed limit. These things can jump out of nowhere sometimes
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

I am no body work expert, but I would be concerned that they would need to weld in a new front floor pan or front clip. A visit to the body shop will reveal all. Again, good luck. They're hard pictures to look at.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 943 Likes on 571 Posts

Ouch. I would check the suspension bits too. Glad you are ok.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 PM
bart1
Race Car

Thanks a lot guys, a sounding board is about the best thing that can be done to help me tonight.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Bart,

So sorry to read your tale. As everyone else has mentioned, the silver lining is the opportunity to do the euro bumpers. I would be a little concerned about the right front clip alignment - hopefully a little pull and a new trunk pan will sort things out. Let us know....
Old 07-10-2008, 10:43 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Bart, I can sympathize. it's a bad week to own a 95 aventurine coupe.
Name:  damage 1.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  damage 2.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  87.9 KB

Sorry to hear about your car; that front end looks nasty. I would suggest using your Porsche dealer's preferred assuming they have a frame jig. With that front end damage to the unibody I'd definitely want a Porsche expert with the right tools working on it.

Best of luck.

Dave

Quick Reply: Help! I smashed my 993!!