993 Forum 1995-1998

VERY poor experience at a Porsche dealership for service

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VERY poor experience at a Porsche dealership for service

I’m usually not too negative about any bumps in the road of life. It’s no big deal. But when I get lied to, and take my 993 to the official Porsche dealer for work to be done that isn’t done, and get lied to again, I do get frustrated.

I bought my 993 C4S about four weeks ago. The dealer has had it for the past eight days. The only things they did during that time were flush the brake lines, replace the passenger window motor, and do a state inspection and emissions. The bill was over $700.

There were two things the state inspection didn’t catch: the third brake light doesn’t work at all, and the passenger low headlight beam is out. Both are required for the car to pass state inspection. (And I specifically asked for the brake light to be fixed; it was on the work order.) Not only is that unacceptable, it’s downright illegal.

Worse than that was the work that was not done. I asked that the A/C be fixed. They couldn’t find the inoperable condenser fan resistor.

I asked that the parking brake be adjusted. The service manager said that my brake at 6 clicks was within tolerances. The mechanic who worked on it told me, no, the spec is between 3 to 5 clicks. He further told me that the reason he couldn’t adjust the parking brake was because he couldn’t find the lug key, which was in the ashtray.

The service manager, however, never asked me where the lug key was. Instead of asking, and putting the parking brake right, he found it easier to lie and say that it was within spec. He also had some weird theories about how to operate the A/C, why I wasn’t operating it properly, and made up excuses for why the window motor was taking so long to get from Germany.

So the bottom line is that a Porsche dealer lied to me about why some things weren’t done. They couldn’t identify known problems on my 993, like the A/C resistor, even when I pointed them to it. And they illegally passed inspection without fixing two major lights: a brake light and a headlight. And they charged me over $700 for the experience.

Is there anyone at Porsche NA who cares about customer satisfaction? Is there any way to complain that gets heard?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:04 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Don't call - write a letter to Porsche NA.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
pewter82
Drifting

Call your state police about the bad motor vehicle inspection, and contact Porsche NA.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:26 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiles

Worse than that was the work that was not done. I asked that the A/C be fixed. They couldn’t find the inoperable condenser fan resistor.
You'll find that 99% of the cars serviced by Porsche dealers today are Cayenne's, 996's, and Boxsters. Since our air-cooled cars are 10+ years old, an entire generation of dealer-based Porsche mechanics were never trained to service them. Anecdotally, my preferred independent set up his own shop after leaving a dealership he worked at for many years. You'll probably find the same thing to be true in your neck of the woods. The mantra of this board is to find a trusted independent and stick with him.

Ironically, my local dealer is very supportive of our local Porsche club and has a couple of guys left over who apparently know air cooled 911's quite well. Sometimes they're price competitive, usually not. However, this is the exception and not the norm.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Let me guess - you're talking about Auto Palace, right? I saw your post the other day - or a few days ago asking for service recommendations in Pgh? I don't want to make assumptions here but if you're talking about the one I just mentioned I think you would be better served elsewhere (go to Sewickley).

Do you know who owns Auto Palace? It's actually a pretty interesting story but go check out some of the cars on the second floor (if they let you up there). This franchise, in my opinion, was purchased as a hobby for someone with deep, deep pockets and I think what you experienced is a reflection of that.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:42 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Thats totally uncalled for, unacceptable, very poor work and service.

I just had my Explorer at the Ford dealership yesterday (which pretty much does all the work) and I thought that new rotors and pads may be needed. They called me back later in the day and asked me if I was having an issue with my brakes because everything looked great. Had a rear differential leak and that was $180 to fix and they fixed (main reason it went in) a loose heat shield at no cost. So I walked in thinking about $500 for brakes and the dif. seal. I was so happy that I bought new BFG 32's, electric fuel pump, and power steering pump for my Bronco. So I saved $400 on brakes and spent $1100 on misc parts for another vehicle.

For the past few years, I call and get quotes on everything before I bring my vehicles into the shop.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:44 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked that the parking brake be adjusted. The service manager said that my brake at 6 clicks was within tolerances. The mechanic who worked on it told me, no, the spec is between 3 to 5 clicks. He further told me that the reason he couldn’t adjust the parking brake was because he couldn’t find the lug key, which was in the ashtray.
Like Jason said, the dealers usually do not know these cars. Find a good independant that does.

By the way, the park brake is adjusted at the brake lever inside the console. No need for the wheels to be removed for this.
Further evidence that they aparently don't even have a shop manual for a 993 on hand or maybe don't care for your business... or maybe just aren't that bright?
In any case, enjoy the car! I am sure people can recommend a good shop in your area.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Its going to get very expensive as the air cooled cars get older parts break and fewer people and shops know how or want to work on them.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Yup, I'd let Porsche NA know... ...and then I'd try and find somewhere else.

Gerry
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by pewter82
Call your state police about the bad motor vehicle inspection, and contact Porsche NA.
I'm not sure that I want the mechnic thrown under a bus, which is what would happen if I call the state. He signed the sticker. But he's the guy who was trying to do the right thing, and its the sales manager that was the problem. But then again, he did sign on a car that still had brake lights and headlights that didn't work.

CAA -- I'm fully aware. It reinds me of Citizen Kane when Kane says "I think it would be fun to run a newspaper." Which would be funny, expect that the same family does that, too.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Smiles
Pro

Will Porsche NA do anything?

Do I fire a letter off to the Atlanta headquarters, or is it more effective if I send it to a few specific people who would actually take some interest or action? A regional representative, for example? Someone specific in Atlanta?

Last edited by Smiles; 06-27-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

CAA -- I'm fully aware. It reinds me of Citizen Kane when Kane says "I think it would be fun to run a newspaper." Which would be funny, expect that the same family does that, too.[/QUOTE]

Old 06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will Porsche NA do anything?

Do I fire a letter off to the Atlanta headquarters, or is it more effective if I send it to a few specific people who would actually take some interest or action? A regional representative, for example? Someone specific in Atlanta?
Porsche cars N.A. has a factory rep assigned to each region, he travels from Dealership to dealership acting as an arbritrator for the kind of problem you describe. Ask the Pgh. dealer for his name and a phone # to get in touch, (they are supposed to do that ) If you complain loud enough "THEY WILL COME" !!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

That is why I try to do all the work I can by myself. My window recently malfunctioned and through the help of this site and my fear of mechanics I fixed it myself.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:34 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
That is why I try to do all the work I can by myself. My window recently malfunctioned and through the help of this site and my fear of mechanics I fixed it myself.
+1

It's amazing how much work you can do (and do well) on these cars with some patience and DIY guidance... and the Rennlist community.

Re. writing a letter (which I would still do), I wouldn't get your hopes up for finding someone at PCNA who really cares about this .

Quick Reply: VERY poor experience at a Porsche dealership for service