Sponsored by:

VERY poor experience at a Porsche dealership for service

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008 | 02:19 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Matt,

Are you a member of PCA? If you are also talk to your Zone rep and see if he can help.

Write a letter to Porsche NA, ask for the PCNA area rep to help.

If that does not work talk to the DMV about the shop doing faulty safety related repairs.
Old 06-27-2008 | 02:23 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by FGL28
Are you a member of PCA? If you are also talk to your Zone rep and see if he can help...
I am a PCA member. Should I call the number on my card and ask for a Zone rep?

(As I said earlier, I don't want to get the state involved, because all that will do is get the mechnic fired, and he's not the one I have issues with.)
Old 06-27-2008 | 02:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

PCNA no longer compels dealers to service air-cooled cars (its strictly optional) so I'd follow the advice of others and find a good independent to support you.
Old 06-27-2008 | 03:40 PM
pewter82
Drifting

calling the state police will not get the Salesmanager in trouble, it will get the Service manager and mechanic in trouble, which will get the owners in trouble, and possible suspend the right to be a state inspection location...IF there has been several complaints in the past.

jason
Old 06-27-2008 | 03:59 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smiles
I am a PCA member. Should I call the number on my card and ask for a Zone rep?

(As I said earlier, I don't want to get the state involved, because all that will do is get the mechnic fired, and he's not the one I have issues with.)
His contact info should be inthe news letter or you could call the number. PCA is sponsored by PAG and PCNA. It is an easy way to get your complaint heard. Be assertive.

I also think that an independent would do a better job on an air cooled car.
Old 06-28-2008 | 07:12 PM
Smiles
Pro

Thanks.

I'll do most of the work from now on, thanks to the great resource of Rennlist!

But, unfortunately, I needed an PennDOT inspection station, and I'm not that. I just didn't think that the Auto Palace would be so bad.
Eight days for a state inspection and emissions (and they didn't even do that right), a brake line bleed and a window motor was a lot more time than I could have imagined.
Old 06-28-2008 | 07:50 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Matt, PM sent
Old 06-28-2008 | 08:44 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

This is my order of operations when it comes to my Porsche:

1. Myself -- because there is no mechanic who cares half as much about my car as I do...meaning I'll take the time, care, and proper caution to make sure everything gets done and done the way it was meant to be.

2. Indep. Shop -- These shops tend to work on 356, 911, 964 and 993 models just as much, if not more than 996 and boxster P-cars. I find that the owners of these shops were smart enough mechanic to start their own shop and enthusiasts themselves. They tend to take care of my car better than dealers and are more way more knowledgable with older P-Cars.

3. Dealer -- My 911....NEVER goes to a dealer. If I had a 997 I might consider taking it to a dealer because to be frank about it most indep. shops dont have the massively expensive tools required to service some things on these cars. For servicing take a 997 to and indy or do it yourself. But hey if your double-clutch electronic tranny fails in a 997, I promise you an indep. will have to outsource that work....pad the bill a little....and give the car back to you.

Hope this helps....I always say do whatever work you can yourself...instant gratification and pride of ownership increase IMO
Old 06-29-2008 | 09:04 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Did your car PASS inspection and get a new sticker? If so, just start taking the car to an Indy and chalk it up. If you are a PCA member you should get a slight discount on the service (and parts) you just received from the dealer.
Old 06-29-2008 | 09:23 AM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by Marlon
Did your car PASS inspection and get a new sticker?
That's what I said. Without a functioning 3rd brake light and passenger low beam bulb burned out.
Old 06-29-2008 | 09:24 AM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Matt, PM sent
Thank you, Jonathan. Received and replied to. I appreciate it.
Old 06-29-2008 | 10:08 AM
One of Twenty
Banned

I do not have much more wisdom to add to this post than that which has already been imparted, but I NEVER take either of my cars to the dealer. I have an independent here in Houston, Sam Shalala at Protechnik who does excellent work. I know Sam and the two other guys at his shop (Ronnie and Ian).

The dealers know the H20 cars. Ian and I were talking on Friday while he was changing the oil in the 993 and he informed me that the mechanics at the dealer only get paid 1/2 their typical hourly rate by the dealership for warranty work which, assuming for the moment that this is true, would explain why most, if not all, of the good mechanics leave dealerships to work at independent shops or start their own repair business.

Good luck.

Greg
Old 06-29-2008 | 10:20 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Just fix the two lights and move on.
Old 06-29-2008 | 11:37 AM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonF
You'll find that 99% of the cars serviced by Porsche dealers today are Cayenne's, 996's, and Boxsters. Since our air-cooled cars are 10+ years old, an entire generation of dealer-based Porsche mechanics were never trained to service them. Anecdotally, my preferred independent set up his own shop after leaving a dealership he worked at for many years. You'll probably find the same thing to be true in your neck of the woods. The mantra of this board is to find a trusted independent and stick with him.

Ironically, my local dealer is very supportive of our local Porsche club and has a couple of guys left over who apparently know air cooled 911's quite well. Sometimes they're price competitive, usually not. However, this is the exception and not the norm.
+1. I won't let an original dealer touch my cars. Always a good Indie ( I have a guy who has worked exclusively on Porsche for 40 years) unless I can fix it myself.
Old 06-29-2008 | 01:49 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

I am pretty sure that a lot of the people that work at "official porsche dealers" did not know what a 993 was till the 997 was out for 2 years.

Quick Reply: VERY poor experience at a Porsche dealership for service