Waving to other 911's - What i've noticed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 04:37 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leucadia

The observation about woman I have checked with my wife and several of her friends, and women apparently are not aware of what car they are driving. Ever.
I gotta disagree with this. In my experience, women driving Porsche CLEARLY know what they're into. I get better response rates from women in Boxsters than anything else.

Guys in boxsters haven't a clue.....kinda like guys driving...uumm.....Miatas.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:38 PM
moeck
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Many many moons ago (60's-70's), almost all Porsche owners would flash their headlamps at each other and usually wave or smile. This was during a time when there were also many British sportcars around (and Fiats, etc.) and when I drove my Triumph or Cooper S (pre- pcar), you usually waved at each other.
It all really went away in the 80's. Frankly (at least in Calif.) I believe most new Posrche owners were becoming more of the status versus true enthusiast's.
Fast forward to today and I've noticed that many 993 owners will acknowledge each other and what I've also seen is that most air-cooled Porsche people, when you give them a thumbs up or wave, they smile and respond. Sometimes they will wave first. Rarely do you get the same camaraderie from 996 or 997 owners.
As the newest air-cooled Porsche is now 10 years old, could it be because no matter what your economic status is, you have an appreciation and know the joy of owning these "older" Porsches, understand the enthusiam, and appreciate someone else who gets it? Seems to me it is. It's nice to see it all come back around!
Old 06-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cabrio993
I guess that was the last time you went out with her right?

Oh, I'm a weak man when it comes to women! It takes a lot more than that to keep me from stalking 'em!!!

And I guess I shouldn't take it personal when another p-car owner doesn't wave. My neighbors don't either. I just don't understand it...
Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Theres a guy down the street from me who always has various brand new porsches in his driveway. I had a tranny problem which turned out to be nothing but i figured id ask him if he new anything that may be causing my problem and hope to meet someone for some Porsche talk and comradery. Turns out he works for porsche cars NA. He implied that working on them yourself is a no no and really seemed totally disinterested in the fact that i was even there asking for his help.... had the roles been reversed i would have ran to his house with a wrench in my hand. I guess Porsches are just cars for the masses now.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My experience is most air cooled cars wave back. 996 drivers just give me a very puzzling look. Many years ago I used to own a Saab 900 Turbo and most Saab owners waved to each other.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:46 PM
travanx
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should start looking for waves, and try to wave first. I am 29 and look much younger and sometimes feel odd that I am driving this car, almost like i shouldn't be. I look like my mommy bought it for me. I think most people running an older Porsche are more of a car lover. I was talking to my girlfriend about this and she said probably most people buy a Porsche to look cool in and don't really care about saying hi to another Porsche.

My friends all thought I was crazy for buying a 95 over a newer carrera. Not so much when I took them for a spin.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:06 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=travanx;5550535]I am 29 and look much younger and sometimes feel odd that I am driving this car, almost like i shouldn't be. I look like my mommy bought it for me. QUOTE]

+1...same here brother. I had a choice about a year ago, I could buy a nice brand new car OR with the same money I could follow my heart and long passion for p-cars and get a 993...easy decision that was

Back to this thread...I wave at all p-cars but unfortunately I don't see very many air-coolers running around and I know a good number of the owners anyway but I do notice that many of the 996's/boxter folk don't even notice that I am around them which is strange to me as I have my P-DAR on all the time and never miss one
Old 06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've noticed only really high-end or older air cooled 911 drivers wave. There are so many porsches here in Westlake that they really don't stand out. 997s are dropping out of trees along with S-Class Benzes (AMG of course), and BMW M-cars. Takes a Ferarri F430 or Lambo Gallardo to generate some excitement around here. Where is all this money coming from????? Anyway a brand new 997TT convertable buzzed past me a few days ago while I was testing out my brakes just after I had reistalled the calipers. Was nice to see the guy give me the thumbs-up in appreciation of my car even though his was worth probably 5X's what mine is. I have to admit I like mine so much I really wasn't envious. Would rather have the extra $125,000 in my bank account than have his car but glad to see he knows a superior porsche when he sees one!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,894 Likes on 1,753 Posts

The older the aircooled, the more likely they are to wave. Most watercooled 911 drivers don't get it. Boxsters and Cayannes don't even count.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:05 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

it was just last week I pulled up to a convertible 996 black with California plates, guy revs his motor I say hi -his girl friend yells to me "she likes my car better" -he does not look happy after that -he then stalls at the green and and a warm fuzzy feeling overwhelms me-personally 1 out of 20 newer porsches ever waves back-I am still old school and flash my lights-
Old 06-26-2008, 06:19 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 179 Posts

The non-993 owners are just jealous
Old 06-26-2008, 06:28 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 340 Posts

If you want to understand the "on the road" attitude of owners of current models of Porsche, all you have to do is take a look at who is in the showroom buying the cars...

I had to run by a Porsche dealership today to pick up a window switch. Wandered through the showroom and lot just to see what they had...

I was walking out the door right behind a salesman and a potential buyer who was looking at Boxsters and Caymens....

On display in the covered drive outside the service desk was a pristine early 911 SC, a cherry 944S, and a pristine 930 Turbo...

As the salesman and customer walked by them, the customer said, "Now those cars...Are they Porsches too?"

I almost crapped my pants.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
a brand new 997TT convertable buzzed past me a few days ago .. Was nice to see the guy give me the thumbs-up in appreciation of my car even though his was worth probably 5X's what mine is.
Yah, same thing here. I think the 997 folks are very similar to us i think (perhaps a little more cash and a little less nostalgic than us? who knows....) but MOST of the time the 997 guys notice my 993's and wave, that's kinda cool, I do have a serious appreciation for those 997's.

BTW, I saw a gorgeous yellow 1969 911T in the grocery store parking lot last week and just waited for the owner to return to the car to chat with him. The guy was the original owner, and was 76 yrs old. That was neat.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two days ago I was next to a boxster and got no wave or acknowledgement. I turned the corner and cayman pulled up next to me with his thumb up.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

I only wave to police. Funny- they never wave back for some reason.

Quick Reply: Waving to other 911's - What i've noticed