Sponsored by:

Waving to other 911's - What i've noticed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJF1
Was heading down to Pacific Raceway in WA on Sunday afternoon driving my track car. On I 405 I spot a nice 997 C4S cabrio with the top down cruising on the HOV lane, as I drive a tad faster I kind of crept by them. Woman driver middle aged and probably her husband on the passenger seat. Both stone faced, made me laugh. Due to the traffic pattern we kind of cruised alongside for a while, all this time they continued to be stone faced and kind of refused to even peak at me. I guess my loud supercups is not their cup of tea
I-405... that's your problem.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:21 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I guess I just don't get much into automotive "connections" of that type. I see no need to share a connection with a stranger simply because they were able to finance the $40k for the same car.

I just don't see it.
Not everything in(911) life can be translated to $$$...
Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by stace
+1 on Cayennes - they are the worst-- but I try with any other p-cars
+1
Old 06-27-2008, 12:17 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
she didn't see me as a threat in my chick/gay car.
???????????????????????????

i didn't know you had a boxster too.

be safe

craig
Old 06-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

There! I just screwed up your stat on women in Porsches.

I wave all the time. My stats seem to be like this...the older the car, the more likely they'll wave. But for some reason that does not apply to 944s. I can't seem to get a wave from them.

The weirdest is when I give the wave and get a blank stare in return, with this duh sort of look like, "why is she waving at me?"
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM
Franz993
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

I tried the waving thing with 911 owners when I bought the car last year and after numerous failures I stopped. Now I only wave to 993 owners, which are becoming scarcer in Miami...and they do return the wave.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
The weirdest is when I give the wave and get a blank stare in return, with this duh sort of look like, "why is she waving at me?"
Adrienne, you're not getting the "why is she waving at me?" look, you're getting the "Holy crap, ~she's~ waving at me! Ah, what am I suppose to do now.....I forget!".
Old 06-27-2008, 02:21 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leucadia
Whenever I see a fellow 993 out on the road, almost without failure, we'll always exchange that quick wave hello which I feel sorta translates into: 'hi dude, I appreciate your taste in vehicles'. My brother drives a Mini S, and he says that the Mini Cooper guys all do this as well. This sort of camaraderie is also done between motorcyclists.

Not sure what your experience is, but I never experience this camaraderie with the 996's and certainly never with the Boxer's. I have done a unscientific estimate on the percentages of waves i get from the following pairs of Porsche drivers.

993 - 993 : 100%
993 - 997 : 80%
993 - 964 - 40%
993 - 996 : 20%
993 - Boxer : 0%
993 - (any 911 driven by a woman) 0%

I suppose its because while we all like 911's, on a fundamental level, we have a decreasing appreciation for models that are more and more dissimilar than our own.

The observation about woman I have checked with my wife and several of her friends, and women apparently are not aware of what car they are driving. Ever.
In Socal I get the women to wave at me......but I am good looking.

Boxers are the worst. Even the Cayman gets some waves.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default waves

I've just had a 993 for a few months, and I wave at all other P vehicle drivers; get waves back from about a third, and from most 911's.

I retired from riding motorcycles last fall, and it's a relief to not have to wave every few minutes.

Rinty
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
There! I just screwed up your stat on women in Porsches.

I wave all the time. My stats seem to be like this...the older the car, the more likely they'll wave. But for some reason that does not apply to 944s. I can't seem to get a wave from them.

You're gonna make somebody run off the road - especially if they look at your plate.
Cops would never believe me: "You crashed because a beautiful woman in a Porsche waved at you? Yeahhhh, right!!!"
Old 06-27-2008, 11:57 PM
HSTexan
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quadcammer,

It's not about the fact they can finance the same car as you, but why they chose to finance the same car as you. For $40k you can get a lot of nice new cars, yet they chose to purchase a ~10 year old car. You chose that car for a reason. You don't buy an older P-car for status (usually). Coming from the Supra crowd, I wave at any other Supra I see, no matter the generation, and always get a wave back. We definitely share the bond as well.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I guess I just don't get much into automotive "connections" of that type. I see no need to share a connection with a stranger simply because they were able to finance the $40k for the same car.

I just don't see it.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

eh, I guess I will never get it. just not my thing I spose.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Adrienne, you're not getting the "why is she waving at me?" look, you're getting the "Holy crap, ~she's~ waving at me! Ah, what am I suppose to do now.....I forget!".
+1 Jeff is right... it is only sheer confusion
Adrienne, this is the guy version of vapor lock.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I will wave to any vehicle with the porsche crest on it. Not at all snobbish just because I drive an inverted bathtub.

I think the wave came about because the Porsche tractors and 924/944 headlights no longer work for the flash, so to be polite we flap our hands.

For shock value it is fun to compliment someones 996 cabriolet with "nice boxster"
Old 06-28-2008, 07:08 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first car was a 1964 VW bus. The PO taught me the secret bus wave. I'd have to say that the response was almost 100%. That might be because they were so slow that you could see the wave back. I drive my p car a lot and most of the time never see another p car. I acknowledge other 911's, even the ones with water in them, sometimes the boxsters if I catch their eye. I rarely see Caymans on the road. If a Cayenne waves to me I'll wave back, but it hasen't happened yet. On day on I66 going from Man asses to DC I ran into a 356, 964 and 996. We cruised together for a while, but it seemed to be more by accident than by design. I soon picked up the pace and left them all behind.

Quick Reply: Waving to other 911's - What i've noticed