Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Waving to other 911's - What i've noticed (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/439190-waving-to-other-911s-what-ive-noticed.html)

Leucadia 06-26-2008 02:46 PM

Waving to other 911's - What i've noticed

Whenever I see a fellow 993 out on the road, almost without failure, we'll always exchange that quick wave hello which I feel sorta translates into: 'hi dude, I appreciate your taste in vehicles'. My brother drives a Mini S, and he says that the Mini Cooper guys all do this as well. This sort of camaraderie is also done between motorcyclists.

Not sure what your experience is, but I never experience this camaraderie with the 996's and certainly never with the Boxer's. I have done a unscientific estimate on the percentages of waves i get from the following pairs of Porsche drivers.

993 - 993 : 100%
993 - 997 : 80%
993 - 964 - 40%
993 - 996 : 20%
993 - Boxer : 0%
993 - (any 911 driven by a woman) 0%

I suppose its because while we all like 911's, on a fundamental level, we have a decreasing appreciation for models that are more and more dissimilar than our own.

The observation about woman I have checked with my wife and several of her friends, and women apparently are not aware of what car they are driving. Ever.

SA Mike 06-26-2008 02:56 PM

You know your probably right. I always wave and don't always get one back especially people in Boxsters

Bearclaw 06-26-2008 03:04 PM

No sampling on anything older than a 964? :confused:

I think many Boxster owners are not even aware that there ARE other Porsches besides Boxsters.

I also think women do not generally wave back at men in other cars whom they do not know. Asking for trouble. That notion supersedes car camaraderie.

Cincy_Ron 06-26-2008 03:06 PM

Yeah, I've noticed that too. It's pretty rare around here to see another 993 on the road. Was out for happy hour with my GF and saw a Riviera Blue 993 sitting at the stop light out front. I popped out of my seat and headed outside just to watch it roll on down the street. Anyway, the majority of the Carrera guys wave. Boxster guys not so much. Same with the 996 guys (but I think they're just confused as to whether they're in a Boxster or not anyway)... :icon107:

Kika 06-26-2008 03:41 PM

From my experience % was pretty high among the SC and 3.2 crowd, Very high with the 2.7 generation and off the charts with the 356 guys.

Unfortuantely the flasher on my SC was broken, so I had to wave whenever flashed.

I honestly don't get many waves from 993 owners around my neighborhood, except for the guys I know personally. When my wife takes the 993, she never returns a wave, too much downside potential.

RallyJon 06-26-2008 03:43 PM

Air-cooled VW Beetles = 100%. After a short pause while they think about it.

Mark in Baltimore 06-26-2008 03:47 PM

FWIW, on Monday, I waved at, and got a wave back, from a hot blonde in a Miata that had the same color as mine. I'm sure she waved because she didn't see me as a threat in my chick/gay car.

CarreraX 06-26-2008 03:50 PM

Anyway, the majority of the Carrera guys wave. Boxster guys not so much. Same with the 996 guys (but I think they're just confused as to whether they're in a Boxster or not anyway)... :icon107:[/QUOTE]

Cincy Ron, I thought that Boxster guys only waved at other Boxster guys when they are looking for a date.....:icon107:

InTheAir 06-26-2008 03:54 PM

I was running neck and neck with a 944 down the highway and couldn't coax a wave out of him.

Other than that, it appears pretty much 50-50 across the Porsche board.

Denise993 06-26-2008 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Leucadia (Post 5549908)
993 - (any 911 driven by a woman) 0%
The observation about woman I have checked with my wife and several of her friends, and women apparently are not aware of what car they are driving. Ever.

You have just officially broken my heart :crying: ...

My 993 is mine... only mine and I know exactly what I'm driving ... and I would have waved at you ... except you blew it now ... if I ever drive out to WA, I'll be sure not to wave as I pass you in the fast lane :burnout:

I'm kidding... I'm not touchy about such things...

Smiles 06-26-2008 04:22 PM

I was expecting more on road camaraderie when I got my 993, especially from other air cooled 911s.

Motorcycles are great for that, and old little British sports cars are good too. Surprisingly, Jeep Wranglers always get a return wave from other Wranglers. Ferraris (perhaps not surprisingly) are not, especially if they're of different vintages.

jmporsche944 06-26-2008 04:22 PM

I always show love to the 993 crowd. I don't bother waving to newer porsches because they think im driving an rx-7

Cincy_Ron 06-26-2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Leucadia (Post 5549908)

Amen to that! I'll never forget a date I went on years ago. Picked her up in my Boxster. I could see her looking around the interior of the car, and she looks at me and says "what is this, a Miata"? Oh, it took her a while to hear the end of that one.

cabrio993 06-26-2008 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron (Post 5550432)
Amen to that! I'll never forget a date I went on years ago. Picked her up in my Boxster. I could see her looking around the interior of the car, and she looks at me and says "what is this, a Miata"? Oh, it took her a while to hear the end of that one.

I guess that was the last time you went out with her right? :roflmao:

Black993 06-26-2008 04:35 PM

I think we pretty much can all agree on whats been said.
I had an encounter with a 996 GT3 a month or so back. 2 lane road, speed limit is 25mph, scenic route, ONLY two cars on the road. I gave a wave, he looked at me and turned his head the other way. :rolleyes:

and it never seems to fail. Whenever I'm in the Porsche I don't see anything but WRX's and when I'm in the WRX I never see anything but 911's. I swear its some undiscovered law of physics or something. :confused:
(i still wave no matter what I'm driving. I get a lot of odd looks :o )