Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok pick up the car . No icyle or frost but comfy on high .
They check for pressure no pressure found in system .
They nitrogen tested for leaks and no leaks was found at this time .
They evacuated system ( dry of condensation )
So they re-charge the a/c system then re-check .
They use R134a with Pag46 oil and universal leak dye ( dye in case there is a leak later on and easier to find and just bring it back ).

Pag46 oil is I gather is to lube the parts in the system .

Labor :197.30
Parts :162.02
--------
Total $359.32

My final analyst if it gives cool air happy and I asked them about over the counter
a/c kit for $40 . Of course a bit bias on their part they say a big no no but they did not give me a clear reason why .

Cheers Guy
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM
quasr
Racer

I had my A/C redone with Griffith parts and the shop found the evaporator was just slightly leaking and a pressure switch was doing the majority of the leaking.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Richard Kent
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, purchased a recharge kit at my local auto parts store 39.95 with 3 cans of refrigerant, recharged my wifes SUV, now working great, tomorrow will recharge the 993. Local shop wanted 95.00 to recharge the SUV alone. It was easier than I ever thought.... thanks again!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:49 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 92 Celica for a city car (NYC), that wasn't R134. I paid to convert it over (silly, really as it isn't too bad to do yourself). Then they tested it and said the compressor was leaking, and super $$ to replace. I didn't do it.

I got the kit referenced above (though got from Target I believe). I put in the first can and it got cold for a few days. I put in the second can, figuring maybe I'll just have air on long trips, but the second one has lasted for months now. It had the stop leak & lube all built in as well. It does seem to be a little bit weak again, so I might opt for one more boost, but that was also in 95 degrees with a black car too, and very humid out.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can anyone direct me to a DIY photo or diagram showing the hook-up points to recharge the system?
Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Magee
Can anyone direct me to a DIY photo or diagram showing the hook-up points to recharge the system?
You'll only be hooking up to the low pressure line (blue in picture). Pictures from Robin's site.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow, how did I miss that? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Richard Kent
Advanced

My 993 is a 95 and the low pressure fitting actually faces towards the rear of the car, I added one 12 oz can of R134a and started a 2nd can but really had a hard time getting the psi up over 25. Is this normal? It seemed like the recharge can pressure was less than what was in the low pressure hose line.
How long does it normally take to empty a can into the low pressure line.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Richard Kent
My 993 is a 95 and the low pressure fitting actually faces towards the rear of the car, I added one 12 oz can of R134a and started a 2nd can but really had a hard time getting the psi up over 25. Is this normal? It seemed like the recharge can pressure was less than what was in the low pressure hose line.
How long does it normally take to empty a can into the low pressure line.

25 PSI's? You shouldn't be more than 17 PSI's if your ambient temperature is about 90-95 degrees. It should be more than 10 PSI's but less than 17 PSI's.

If your gague is reading 25 PSI's on the low pressure line, you probably put too much. You may want to let some R134a out by pressing on the valve's center.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:43 PM
Richard Kent
Advanced

Wow... temp here in the NW when I was recharging was around 68 degrees, Instructions noting that 25-40psi normal....when I first connected the gauge it read zero and the compressor did not start up at all until I reached around 12 psi and then it cycled off and on. I never got the compressor to stay on steady while I was refilling, is this normal? When I refilled my wifes jeep the compressor cycled on and off until I got to around 25 psi and then it stayed on.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Richard Kent
Wow... temp here in the NW when I was recharging was around 68 degrees, Instructions noting that 25-40psi normal....when I first connected the gauge it read zero and the compressor did not start up at all until I reached around 12 psi and then it cycled off and on. I never got the compressor to stay on steady while I was refilling, is this normal? When I refilled my wifes jeep the compressor cycled on and off until I got to around 25 psi and then it stayed on.
For 68 degrees ambient temp, the table calls for a low side PSI of 9 to 16 psi.

You need to run your AC on high and with the big "snowflake" button on. I don't know what the Jeep's AC system call for, but 25 PSI sounds high.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

As an FYI, the pic is from the side and the bolt is facing the rear. I had to look twice to verify.
Thanks Cabrio for all the info and pics.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 PM
Richard Kent
Advanced

cabrio, thanks for the info, I will make the adjustment, didn't see the table posted earlier duh...
Old 06-25-2008, 07:53 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

thanks Cabrio for the info ...so next time if needed I will try the same .
But now I have weird situation with the controls .
If I press the big snow flake I feel the cold air and hear the fan on high but there`s hardly any air flow coming out of the vents if I press the small snow flake the same thing except I control the fan speed but no air flowing out .
The wierd thing is if I do not have either the big or small snow flake on I get very cool air and good air flow . I think I have a electrical control panel malfunction . Any info ????

Don`t forget I never used the a/c or heater in this car the whole 3 yrs I`ve had it . The only air control I ever used till now was roof up or roof down .
Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by briefescape
thanks Cabrio for the info ...so next time if needed I will try the same .
But now I have weird situation with the controls .
If I press the big snow flake I feel the cold air and hear the fan on high but there`s hardly any air flow coming out of the vents if I press the small snow flake the same thing except I control the fan speed but no air flowing out .
The wierd thing is if I do not have either the big or small snow flake on I get very cool air and good air flow . I think I have a electrical control panel malfunction . Any info ????

Don`t forget I never used the a/c or heater in this car the whole 3 yrs I`ve had it . The only air control I ever used till now was roof up or roof down .
It sounds like the CCU is working properly.
Likely an issue with one of the servos if you are not getting air flow. Could also be a vacuum source problem.
Does the recirculate button do anything? If not, the center solenoid is the place to start.
See here for more (from thread on RL by Brian S.): http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph.../C_Diagnostics

Quick Reply: A/C question