Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere on a 'search' post about 993 a/c and it mentioned that the 993 a/c psi is actually supposed to be rather low - as in 15 or so???

Originally Posted by Richard Kent
My 993 is a 95 and the low pressure fitting actually faces towards the rear of the car, I added one 12 oz can of R134a and started a 2nd can but really had a hard time getting the psi up over 25. Is this normal? It seemed like the recharge can pressure was less than what was in the low pressure hose line.
How long does it normally take to empty a can into the low pressure line.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mark for info and link .
After following DIY I now believe my problem is a vacuum leak
Everything else seems to work like it ought to .
Cheers Guy

Originally Posted by MarkD
It sounds like the CCU is working properly.
Likely an issue with one of the servos if you are not getting air flow. Could also be a vacuum source problem.
Does the recirculate button do anything? If not, the center solenoid is the place to start.
See here for more (from thread on RL by Brian S.): http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph.../C_Diagnostics
Old 06-26-2008, 04:02 PM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW-
Just paid $144, for evacuate, charge, press check low/high, dye leak check and refrigerant. Dealer wanted $350.

Brian
Old 06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went and looked at my early build 95, and I see the plastic cap for the low pressure side, but about two inches below it I see another plastic cap that has an "L" on it. Which do you use to add the new freon? From the photos above, it looks like the top cap, correct?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:21 AM
Daniel993
AutoX

Hi, got a tip from one of the Porsche Engineers who recommended
never to turn off the AIRCO , just adapt the temperature in the car when needed.
Will often avoid a leak problems.
Daniel
Old 06-28-2008, 10:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
If the leak is small, they sell R134 refrigerant that has some anti-leak agent that helps. Also, make sure to buy the R134r that has lubricant in it.
just like to point out that the refrigerant with the stop-leak is a horrible idea. It will literally gum up your entire A/C system, and thats one repair you don't want to see ($$$$). If you have a leak, get it fixed properly, or live with it if its really small. From what I understand, all automotive a/c systems leak an absolutely miniscule amount, even when new.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paging Dr. Cabrio993...
I hooked up th pressure tester to the low side port, and according to the gauge, it was about 40psi? WTF? Now, it was tight at 100 degrees F.(Texas) and I had both "snowflake" buttons in, and the recir. button in. How can this be? FYI, my symptom or problem is that the AC works ok on short trips, but blows only slightly cool are on trips over 1 hour. Thoughts? If this should be a seperate thread, let me know and I'll move it. Thanks.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Magee
Paging Dr. Cabrio993...
I hooked up th pressure tester to the low side port, and according to the gauge, it was about 40psi? WTF? Now, it was tight at 100 degrees F.(Texas) and I had both "snowflake" buttons in, and the recir. button in. How can this be? FYI, my symptom or problem is that the AC works ok on short trips, but blows only slightly cool are on trips over 1 hour. Thoughts? If this should be a seperate thread, let me know and I'll move it. Thanks.
Thanks for the "Dr." title...but "Mr Hack" would be more appropriate LOL.

If your gauge shows 40psi, it means that you have too much refrigerant in the system. When the psi's are above the amount called for, the system won't cool efficiently just as if didn't have enough refrigerant.

Remember that what makes the refrigerant cold is the delta in gas pressure from the high pressure side, to the low side. So, as the compressed liquid refrigerant is decompressed and turned into gas, it cools rapidly. It passes thorugh the coils where the air is cooled as it runs through it. The compressor compressed the gas again into liquid and is released into the low pressure side repeating the cycle. If you have too much refrigerant in the system, there is not enough room for the liquid to decompress into gas in the system on the low pressure side and therefore not cooling as efficiently.

That's my simplistic understanding of AC systems.

So, you can remove or flush some refrigerant from the system by hooking up the gague and using the valve to let some refrigerant out until it reaches about 17psi (assuming 90+ ambient temperature). This should make your AC work again. The reason that in your case it doesn't cool enough on long trips is because you are moving more volume of air thru the not so cold coils. When you are standing still, the not so cold coils are good enough to cool the smaller volumes of air.

I hope this helps...

Signed..."Mr. Hack"

Quick Reply: A/C question