Brake pad change diy - take off caliper or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:48 AM
kadeer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad change diy - take off caliper or not

Hello,
I saw some great threads and diy articles on changing brake pads and rotors together. What I wanted to know was if I just want to change pads, do I still need to take out the caliper or can the pads slide out after removing the retainer clip?
I plan to do this tomorrow so don't want to remove caliper if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:15 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

you will have to lift the caliper away from the rotor. you do not need to disconnect the brake fluid lines. but you need to lift the caliper and compress the pistons back into the body of the caliper. the pads will not lift out through the area of the retaining springs and wear sensors.

good luck with the diy
Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not needed to remove the caliper to change pads. Just slowly compress the pistons back into the caliper (use a brake piston compressor or a couple of big c-clamps) to give yourself enough room to insert the new pads.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:13 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If the current brake pads are fitted with the spiders ( anti-noise devices) that are inserted into the pistons, then it is far easier to remove the caliper: if no spiders are present, the pads pull out the back of the installed caliper.
In either event, the pistons will have to be compressed somewhat .... so plan on addressing the displaced brake fluid: either loosen the reservoir cap and be careful to not overflow the reservoir, or preferably, attach a clear hose to one of the caliper bleeders with the other end immersed in some brake fluid in a small container. When the bleeder screw is cracked open, the pistons compress easily, and the excess (old) fluid is not forced back through your expensive ABS pump
Old 06-22-2008, 04:37 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

No need to remove the caliper if the spiders are still present. I simply used a thin putty knife between the pad and spider to separate the two. Pulled the pads out and then popped the spider out of the pistons and pulled them out too without removing the caliper.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
and the excess (old) fluid is not forced back through your expensive ABS pump
+1

or, bleed before the pad change.

As for spiders, I usually putty knife them off the pad and slip it out. Its kinda like cheating
Old 06-22-2008, 10:57 AM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do get a piston compressor tool it will reduce the chance of damage to the piston boots and makes your life much easier. The tool is inexpensive and looks like an X with a screw on the end to expand. Sears or NAPA should have in stock. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:14 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I stand corrected. good to know there is an easier way! Rennlist is such a wealth of info!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:58 PM
kadeer
Instructor

Thanks Guys, I am to give it a try now. First I guess I should make a trip to sears to get piston compressor tool and 10mm hex key for caliper incase I need it. I am goign to attemp leaving in the caliper as you all suggested.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kadeer
Thanks Guys, I am to give it a try now. First I guess I should make a trip to sears to get piston compressor tool and 10mm hex key for caliper incase I need it. I am goign to attemp leaving in the caliper as you all suggested.
It's a beyond easy diy with the calipers in place, I didn't even crack open a bleed screw and haven't noticed any ill effects. My old pads had the anti-squeal spiders seemingly super-glued to the backs of the pad and were an absolute bear to separate from the pad. The old pads were Pagids, and squealed like a city bus despite the presence of these "spiders." I installed new OEM pads, ditched the spiders, and haven't heard a squeal in several hundred miles.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 PM
jsh
Instructor

Ditto on not having to remove the calipers. I went ahead and did away with the sensor since I change pads often (cut wires/twisted together/wire nut/tape & wire tied out of way) now..only have to release spring tensioner, pull old pads drop in new and go, easy and quick.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In case anyone's searching later, these 2 sites have DIY write-ups on brakes:

www.pcarworkshop.com
www.p-car.com

Enjoy,
Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

So is there a downside to just SLOWLY compressing the pistons? I've never removed my calipers after many pad changes (other than to change the rotors). BTW, Porsche apparently recommends changing the caliper bolts on the fronts if you take the calipers off. Be careful though as that does seem to be a spot relatively easily stripped...
Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 AM
kadeer
Instructor

Turns out I had to remove the calipher, I could not get the pad out, the spiders were super glued. I got the spiders out after I removed the pads by sliding a long thin blade. Question is can I reuse the spiders, they are intacted, do they come with some clue originally or can I just put them back?

I bought some tool to compress the calipher from sears, but did not fit so resorted to using the C clamp to compress.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

You can pry the spiders/plate off the back of the pads by using a large flathead screwdriver (slide in and twist) without removing the calipers (next time ).

You can either discard them or simply sit the spiders and backing plate (without anti-squeal goo) back in behind the new pad. Skip the c-clamps or special tools and just use a set of channel locks with a shop towel so you don't scratch the calipers.

Quick Reply: Brake pad change diy - take off caliper or not