Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How bad is the 993 Tip tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad is the 993 Tip tranny???

I havent driven the 993 tiptronic tranny...I have heard stories of horribly slow shifts and severe performance drop off...is this true and are they at all fun to drive in a cruising convertible 911??? i am getting over a very chronic ankle injury thats still sore so a tip would be nice for the next few years...however, if it take the fun out of the 993, then i would put up with the pain until i get slowly get better.....the wife wants the tip so she can drive it also, but thats a whole other story!!!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
964C4
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I drove a 997 C2S with tiptronic and it was a HUGE disappointment...

Imagine an older version !
Old 06-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Where's the f**king popcorn emoticon?

I drive a tip and have no problem driving like a bat out of hell, be it at takeoff, in the straights, or in the twisties. I have the speeding tickets to prove it. Just use it in manual mode and you will have plenty of fun.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
I stole it... here ya go:
Old 06-10-2008, 10:40 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 993 "Tip" and while it is not quite as fun as my previous clutch Porsche's it offers a good balance of fun (when you use the manual mode) and the ability to take phone calls or drink that cup of coffee for the early morning drive. Having driven clutch cars for the better part of 20 years it was difficult to get used to the up and downshifting of the Tip (I still want change gears in the familiar clutch H pattern). I would highly recommend the Tip for your situation.

Last edited by cdmdriver; 06-11-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scycle2020
I havent driven the 993 tiptronic tranny...:
Many naysayers haven't either. As others have already said, Manual mode is the key to Tip happiness. My sig. sums it up pretty well. 600 posts - how about a membership?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

if its a pure weekend/track machine you will probably miss the engagement of a manual. I use it 50% pleasure and 50% commute and every time I think of switching I realize how great it is to have the tip.

But everything you're commenting on about performance has to do with the 'Auto' mode which is pretty weak. However, EVERY Porsche enthusiast with a tip that Ive met drives their car in manual mode 90% of the time and I believe the actual mechanical shift is faster than using a clutch. so besides not being able to do burnout at the stop light-or unless you are tracking it all the time- Im not sure youre giving up that much and may actually be gaining a little more daily driveability.

BTW. if 'bad' implies a mechanical issue my understanding is that the tip is bullet proof and I can attest to absolutely 0 mechnical issues and $0 in investment in the tip(besides fluid change) and I dont ever expect to have to put $ into the tip
Old 06-11-2008, 11:54 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Howdy993
Many naysayers haven't either. As others have already said, Manual mode is the key to Tip happiness. My sig. sums it up pretty well. 600 posts - how about a membership?
I do need to reup as i was off the board for a while and my membership lapsed
Old 06-11-2008, 12:08 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One 993 has the tip tranny and while I much prefer a manual gearbox for more spirited driving, the tip is a good compromise for heavy traffic, stop and go driving, and the occasional Starbucks runs Driving it in manual mode and left foot braking makes a big difference in performance vs in full auto mode. Having a tip also enables the wife to drive in case of an emergency (so far only once but we would have been TSOL if we had the manual at the time )

Last edited by David in LA; 06-11-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
I drove a 997 C2S with tiptronic and it was a HUGE disappointment...

Imagine an older version !
Come on. You drove a 997 tip and didn’t like it so the 993 tip must be bad. You should let the tip owners chime in and offer a valid opinion instead of offering that kind of opinion. My 993 tiptronic is a daily driver on the Los Angeles freeways. It’s driven 99.9 per cent of the time in the manual mode. It took me a couple months to figure it out and it is great! I can guarantee you that there are tip drivers that can bury 6 speed drivers on the twisties based on their abilities. The tip does not hinder them in the least. If it were not for the traffic in LA, I would opt for a 6 speed. But for me, the tip is a great option.

Now, with all that said, the 993 tiptronic in auto mode sucks big time on the street. I understand that on the track is does pretty well.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:39 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had both, like the manual better, but, the tip, like those have said above has its place. Drive it in manual mode and it is a lot of fun, just not quite as much as the 6-speed. If you don't want to drive it in manual in the city, then put it in 3rd and it will then start out in 1st rather than 2nd (which causes it to feel kinda sluggish). Well built tranny with a reputation for reliability.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell

I drive a tip and have no problem driving like a bat out of hell, be it at takeoff, in the straights, or in the twisties. I have the speeding tickets to prove it. Just use it in manual mode and you will have plenty of fun.

I've had two 993 Tips and if you want to consider the CayenneS' also tips I've had two of those too. Just pop it in manual, never use drive (unless you are stuck in L.A. traffic and not going anywhere anyway) and enjoy.

I'm TERRIBLE driving a manual. I'm really a totally uncoordinated clutz. My right hand/arm and left leg/foot do not speak to each other. They must have had a relly bad fight in my youth, maybe even a divorce, I don't know, but they do not get along at all. Now to make it worse, I've have had surgery on my right shoulder so now reaching over and moving the stick around for extended periods of time isn't exactly comfortable either (nor is washing windows... YEAH!!!!) so the tip was/is purrfect for me.

Robert Enjoyed the Tip, but missed using the clutch, so he still prefers a manual, but only because he is OLD SCHOOL (lol).................. When he went to buy our MiniS he fully intended to buy a manual, but after driving both the manual and the 6 speed paddle shifter at the dealership, he totally surprised me and came home with the paddle. He said it was quicker than the manual. Go figure.........

BTW: our current 993 is a 6 speed.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:38 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

It sounds like the tiptronic was tailor made for your situation. Even though many who have offered
opinions here say they would prefer a manual most have also said the tip can be fun and is robust
mechanically. I have a manual 993 but if I lived in an urban enviroment with lots of traffic a tiptronic would
be strongly considered. If I had a medical condition such as your's the tip would be my only consideration.
There are plenty of beautiful tiptronic equipped 993's out there, good luck and enjoy the hunt!

BTW: My GTI is a tip.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

[QUOTE=The Brewmeister;5500728]There are plenty of beautiful tiptronic equipped 993's out there, good luck and enjoy the hunt!
BTW: My GTI is a tip.[/QUOTE
What is real nice if you're shopping for a tip is the cars cost more when new and less when used!
Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

The first 993 I drove was a tip. I hated the sluggish feeling on take-off. It wasn't too bad once you got going.

Quick Reply: How bad is the 993 Tip tranny???