Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Does a leaky intake cause lean or rich running in a NA car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 04:05 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Does a leaky intake cause lean or rich running in a NA car?

I read in the shop manual (p. 24:39 ; DME Diagnosis) that air leaks in the intake system will cause a rich running condition. This seems counter-intuitive to me. I'd think that unmetered air (air coming in after the MAF) would cause a lean condition. For a turbo, I'd expect leaks=rich, but for an NA, leaks=lean. Am I missing something?

I ask because I recently discovered that my car had only ONE (of four) screws attaching the throttle body to the intake runners.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 05-27-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it can...If its after the mass air meter the meter has no idea. You can see a lean condition in the motor... I don't thing it would hurt anything.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barney1
You can see a lean condition in the motor... I don't thing it would hurt anything.
Depends on how lean it causes the engine to run. Much beyond spec and you can cause real damage.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, it will make your car run rich, not lean.

The MAF doesn't read that air coming in since it was leaked in after the MAF. The ECU has a reading for how much air went into that combustion cycle.

Once the combustion takes place, the ECU takes a reading on the CAT O2 sensors and sees that there is more oxygen than needed. The ECU then compensates by adjusting the gas/air ratio by making the mixture richer to try to bring the CAT's O2 sensor readings back to spec and in line with what should have been the CAT's O2 sensor readings given a particular MAF reading.

You'll burn more fuel than needed, gas economy and performance would be decreased as the car runs rich...
Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cabrio993

The MAF doesn't read that air coming in since it was leaked in after the MAF. The ECU has a reading for how much air went into that combustion cycle.

Once the combustion takes place, the ECU takes a reading on the CAT O2 sensors and sees that there is more oxygen than needed. The ECU then compensates by adjusting the gas/air ratio by making the mixture richer to try to bring the CAT's O2 sensor readings back to spec and in line with what should have been the CAT's O2 sensor readings given a particular MAF reading.

You'll burn more fuel than needed, gas economy and performance would be decreased as the car runs rich...
Aha! Brilliant. I figured I must be missing something.

This answers two big questions I've posted about lately: 1) why was my car running so rich on the dyno, and 2) why wasn't I making top-end power on the dyno. I think I lost power at the top end because it was running soooo rich (10.1:1) and it was running so rich there because that's where the leak will be the worst; at high rpms and gobs of air flow.

Funny thing is that I did notice getting worse fuel economy at the track last year. Happened pretty suddenly, too.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:21 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Aha! Brilliant. I figured I must be missing something.

This answers two big questions I've posted about lately: 1) why was my car running so rich on the dyno, and 2) why wasn't I making top-end power on the dyno. I think I lost power at the top end because it was running soooo rich (10.1:1) and it was running so rich there because that's where the leak will be the worst; at high rpms and gobs of air flow.

Funny thing is that I did notice getting worse fuel economy at the track last year. Happened pretty suddenly, too.
yes...I'm familiar with it. I had a rich condition problem with my Alfa Romeo and it drove me crazy. It was an ODB car with CAT O2 sensors. It ended up being that the rubber snorkle that went from the throtle body (after the MAF) to the intake runners had a crack that was only visible under high suction (high rpms).

Now, the real question is...where did the other 3 screws went? and how did they get loose in the first place? I'm checking mine later just to be safe...
Old 05-27-2008, 06:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

...Now, the real question is...where did the other 3 screws went? and how did they get loose in the first place? I'm checking mine later just to be safe...
Yeah, tell me about it. I found one of the screws down on the engine, but 2 are unaccounted for. LOL.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 PM
seth heard
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a Porsche website but im having the same problem with my dodge durango. i wasnt sure why a air intake could cause a vehicle to run rich but i understand now. this helps a lot.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Ha ha. Just saw the thread title and thought "ooh this sounds like an interesting read." Turns out it's a thread I started 11 years ago. Ha!

Timely too cuz I just found another intake leak during a routine checkup ( intake pressure test) and I was about to ask about it. Derp.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:53 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Generally speaking, too much, or unmetered air, create a lean condition. However, the compensating factors of the ECU and O2 sensors will try to rectify the lean condition, right?

I would imagine a lazy or malfunctioning O2 sensor could cause a real problem, but wait, wouldnt the ECU detect the lazy or malfunctioningaO2 sensor and throw a CEL?

Based on the explanations above, why would the ECU and O2 sensors allow a car to run anything other than perfect, or why would there even be a rich condition?

Could that be a typo in the workshop manual?

Also, if holing a piston (from consisently running lean) is not considered detrimental, then by all means, run that bad boy lean!

Internal Combustion Engine, 101

Last edited by nine9six; 03-13-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Does a leaky intake cause lean or rich running in a NA car?