Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Showboat Post - Lots of pictures pre/post detailing

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stunning! Makes me want to add a polisher to my Christmas list. Which type do you have?
Old 05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

J.T., I thought your car was beautiful before, but it's even better now. I guess necessity - a very young family - has forced you to let go of some of your personal detailing obsessiveness.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks all. Typical products -- claybar and wash a few times, einszett polishing with various pads/orbital to get out the light imperfections, finish with tons of zaino products. This level of detailing is crazy expensive and is not something that I would pay to have done frequently. This detailer charges approx $70/hr... I took a big gulp when I first heard that, but quality and piece of mind does have its price. I feel like the paint looks almost brand new.

For Guards Red there is no clear coat... good news is that the paint comes out looking GREAT since it is single stage.... bad news is that it is easy to screw up if not careful, another reason that I wanted to use someone who really knows what they are doing...
Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW 25 hrs!!!!! ..........that must have had an effect on the wallet?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathan--

I'm wondering whether they treated the "grained leather" on the dash and doors which comes standard on the C2S. Mine looks like it is drying slightly (or a little scaley) in certain areas. I'd like to bring it back to its original suppleness and rich, moist look. So, I bought a bottle of leatherique with the intent of applying it to those areas but I haven't done so yet. (I'm waiting for a hot day, per instructions).

But, in the photos, yours looks pretty good in the shot of interior of the door panel, so I'm wondering whether they treated it, and if so, with what).
Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you allowed to drive it now?
Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Rome, he used Leatherique on all the interior leather

Noah, i have been driving the rubber off it .... the beauty of a detail job like this is that a careful wash with zaino products and chenille/micro fiber soft towels brings it right back again... and by the way, driving it doesnt cause swirls, spiderwebbing, etc... bad washing habits (ala dealerships, for instance) is what causes it
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

JT, you still owe me his name.... there is another GR 993 in town that needs his touch.

And, are you in for Monday?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn! I thought your car looked great in person before the detail. Now-WOW. Looks great.
You found another good one.
chuck
Old 05-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the top 993 that I've ever seen. Congrats.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

$1700 for a detail job! Wow!!!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
Damn! I thought your car looked great in person before the detail. Now-WOW. Looks great.
You found another good one.
chuck
Chuck. I think that you saw the "after".

Tony and I were talking about you today. Can't wait until Pcar Palooza!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
$1700 for a detail job! Wow!!!
since there have been a lot of posts about the price, let me chime in on this (knew that I shouldnt have answered the cost question )

1) it wasnt quite as much as you indicate, I got a small break on typical per/hr pricing...but any way you slice it, not cheap
2) to call this a detail job is a little of an understatement.... I think of it more as a "bring it back to showroom new" process... we are talking about waxing door jams, waxing backs of seats, removing any sign of swilrl or scratch anywhere on the car, full interior detail, engine bay, front trunk, etc. for those that know what this type of concours-level prepping involves, it is a art form for those that really know what they are doing...
3) you would really only do this level of detailing very infrequently, so spread over years in between, really not that bad of an investment for someone who enjoys the cosmetic aspects as much as the mechanical ones
4) since my car only has 18k miles on it, now it looks like I think it should for that low mileage
Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
since there have been a lot of posts about the price, let me chime in on this (knew that I shouldnt have answered the cost question )

1) it wasnt quite as much as you indicate, I got a small break on typical per/hr pricing...but any way you slice it, not cheap
2) to call this a detail job is a little of an understatement.... I think of it more as a "bring it back to showroom new" process... we are talking about waxing door jams, waxing backs of seats, removing any sign of swilrl or scratch anywhere on the car, full interior detail, engine bay, front trunk, etc. for those that know what this type of concours-level prepping involves, it is a art form for those that really know what they are doing...
3) you would really only do this level of detailing very infrequently, so spread over years in between, really not that bad of an investment for someone who enjoys the cosmetic aspects as much as the mechanical ones
4) since my car only has 18k miles on it, now it looks like I think it should for that low mileage
Don't get me wrong... I would do it if I had to... but that's a lot of coin, and would be hard to explain to anyone but a car freak fer shure.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:35 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Reddy, if I sound a little like someone trying to convince himself that spending this kind of $$ on detail work is ok....well then.... um.... maybe there might be some truth to that

Quick Reply: Showboat Post - Lots of pictures pre/post detailing