Sponsored by:

Brad Penn or Mobile One, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Royalcarrera
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brad Penn or Mobile One, that is the question

Hi, is there any real need to change to Brad Penn oil from Mobile One? I have owned my 1996 Porsche for over 10 years and always used Mobile One, Will Brad Penn 20/50 weight be compatible with what is left in the crankcase? Any thoughts? Sincerely Royal
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Congratulations on owning your 993 for 10 years - I'm envious!

As for changing the oil brand - why do so? If that's what has worked for your car so far, I see no reason to deviate.

The records that came with my fairly low-mileage '95 indicated M1 15/50 at each oil change. I've followed suit.

Andreas
Old 05-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

As for changing the oil brand - why do so? If that's what has worked for your car so far, I see no reason to deviate.

The records that came with my fairly low-mileage '95 indicated M1 15/50 at each oil change. I've followed suit.

Andreas
^^What he said^^
Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mobile One = One who is mobile...
Mobil One = One who knows Oil

Originally Posted by Royalcarrera
Hi, is there any real need to change to Brad Penn oil from Mobile One?
Sincerely Royal
Old 05-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435

Andreas
Originally Posted by Cactus
^^What he said^^
Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Mobile One = One who is mobile...
Mobil One = One who knows Oil
Huh??? Given your two choices, switch to Brad Penn. For a full synth, go with Redline 10W-40. The Mobil One you used 10 years ago may not be the same Mobil One available now, according to Navarro's tests. Why take the chance?
Old 05-14-2008, 02:07 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sticking to Mobil 1 15-50. Kind of sick and tired on the whole expertise issue. At first it was all about the ZDDP or whatever they are called. Mobil 1 changed, low ZDDP's etc equals no good. On the oil board people post VOA's of the new Mobil 1 with more than adequate ZDDP's. Mobil comes out and specifically says that the new oil has high ZDDP's and its thicker as our engines require it to be. Now the issue is the "formulation". What the heck is it? Or there are other interests in the background? I wonder if Porsche uses Brad Penn on their racing engines.
Give me a break.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:27 AM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
Ah, what does that say on the front of your Avatar car? I'm just so confused...

Let's see, approx. 12.5 quarts of oil in the car at all times and approx. 10.5 quarts of oil are replaced every 3-4K miles...I don't get it...what possible difference could it make what brand or type of oil is used? IMHO, there is no way the unrelenting, mind-numbing oil discussions on this Forum make one d#mn bit of sense...did I just say that out loud?

Come on guys, these German engineered cars can't be that sensitive. H#ll, I change oil in my Ford truck once a year and I buy what ever is on sale at Walgreens...it's a stupid Ford with 179,000 miles on it and the origional spark plugs...does't burn 1 drop of oil and runs like a swiss watch. Your telling me that my 993 will cough 2 times and die if I don't use "Brad Penn?" (I thought Brad Penn was an actor until I joined Rennlist).
...wait for it....
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jhubs
Mark,

Let's see, approx. 12.5 quarts of oil in the car at all times and approx. 10.5 quarts of oil are replaced every 3-4K miles...I don't get it...what possible difference could it make what brand or type of oil is used? IMHO, there is no way the unrelenting, mind-numbing oil discussions on this Forum make one d#mn bit of sense...did I just say that out loud?

Come on guys, these German engineered cars can't be that sensitive. H#ll, I change oil in my Ford truck once a year and I buy what ever is on sale at Walgreens...it's a stupid Ford with 179,000 miles on it and the origional spark plugs...does't burn 1 drop of oil and runs like a swiss watch. Your telling me that my 993 will cough 2 times and die if I don't use "Brad Penn?" (I thought Brad Penn was an actor until I joined Rennlist).
...wait for it....

Andreas
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Penn Oil = Chavez Oil.
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by jhubs
Mark,

...wait for it....

Not that Mobil One is actually sponsoring me . . . but it is not uncommon for race teams to accept sponsorship from a particular manufacturer, especially related to petroleum products, and then decide to run whatever oil works best for them, even if their sponsor does not make that product. Besides, that photo was taken last year, before I switched to Redline.

I think a lot of you guys are simply having a backlash to the seemingly-perpetual debate over oil, which is understandable since the subject is definitely head-bangingly complex and vague. However, how many of you guys see the inside of 911 engines on a daily basis? Weekly basis? Monthly basis? How many of you rebuild 911 motors on a daily basis? How many of you are experts on 911 engines? I know that I'm not an expert on 911 mills, so I rely on information from respected sources such as Steve Weiner. If Steve (and other mechanics) says that he's seeing higher levels of failure due to excessive wear, that's good enough for me to, at the very least, get my full attention.

In the end, it's your motor and your money. I don't think it hurts to run Brad-Penn. I don't think it hurts to run Redline. I don't think it hurts to run Amsoil.

It might hurt to run Mobil One . . .
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched to BP. For me, you know what you are getting with Brad Penn oil, Mobile 1 you are not getting a straight answer you are getting a marketing answer. I have talked to a couple of shops and they are all looking at BP or Rennline because they know of the issues with mobile 1 and they are using up their supply of Mobile 1. They admit they need to figure something out soon. To take the Mobile 1 debate further, my Porsche dealer insists on 0w50 for my 993...

Now I need to find a big Brad Penn logo for my car. Maybe go retro and find a Kendell 1 logo.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Our engines have stayed the same while some oils like Mobil have changed over time to better suit newer cars. It seems intuitive that a "retro" oil, better suited to cars 15+ years old would make sense.

The differences in these oils are factual and quantifiable; that said, whether or not those differences are meaningful IMO depends on use. If you track or plan to keep your car for a very long time you might want the retro oil.

I just pulled my motor and there is all kinds of engine wear after 140k miles and steady diet until very recently of Mobil. Is the wear due to Mobil? Possibly not. But either BP or Motul are going in after the rebuild. YMMV.

Question is; is Motul 300v racing oil really worth $15 per litre??
Old 05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I switched because of the above issues...Mobil being vague, "recipe" changing over the years, trusted guys who have seen the inside of a 911 engine about 911 more times than I have. It is an easy thing to play it safe on. Is there a downside to BP? Harder to get...Target and Walmart don't carry it. Other than that...maybe I'm being silly, but maybe I'm helping my 127k mile engine make it to 227k

Last edited by JPS; 05-14-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not going with either of the 2 mentioned above, after reading all of the oil threads (a couple of times) and the current Porsche approved oil list I'm going with the Elf (Total) Excellium NF (LDX) 5w40 for several reasons.

1) Both Steve Weiner and Charles Navarro say it's a good oil for our 993's (good enough in itself)

2) Is presently on Porsche's Approved Oil List and Meets/exceeds the BMW LL98 (older formulation)

2b) Still full synthetic

3) I can use 1 brand/weight of oil for 3 vehicles, the 993, '97 M3 and '06 Pepper S and it comes in 5L bottles, easier to store in the garage

4) Available without cross-country shipping from Performance Oil Store
Occasionally I've even seen it locally, just have to remember where...

Just my choice.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 05-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, where is the cheapest place to order BP oil?

Quick Reply: Brad Penn or Mobile One, that is the question