993 Forum 1995-1998

Think the dealer overfilled my car. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Think the dealer overfilled my car. Need advice

Ok. Just about had it with the f------ dealer! Picked up my car after oil change and DACH cat install. First the DACHs are awesome. Look great and even with motorsound muffs they sound great. Like Chris said notice them more over 4000 rpm. Can't wait to pair them with RSRs or DACH Rs.

Well two things. First (and most important) Start the car everything fine. Turn the radio down to notice the cats. I wasn't paying attention to the oil level gauge. Once I notice it. It is just under the top block while driving. It is never that high up while the car is running (on the road). The after about 20 min driving pull into the garage (which is level and flat) and the needle is all the way to the top! Next go and pull the stick while the engine is on (and warm). The stick is reading all the way to the top of the marks (spiral). I can't tell if it is going over the spiral. Call the tech and he told me that he always fills it up (no ****) during the oil change. Told me he put 10. quarts (which it requires). Thinking he f---- up and put to much. My brother says there are two plugs to drain. Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Mel,
If it truly is overfilled (which it certainly sounds like), I would try one of those oil extraction units. Basically a large plastic reservoir with a pump handle on top. You place the long tube down the filler neck and pull out as much as you need to.

Pulling the plug on the oil tank will bathe you in 8 or 9 quarts of syn oil. The plug on the engine case typically yields a few quarts.

Andreas
Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Where can i get one of those things?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Marine stores (West Marine, etc.) would be a good start.

Andreas
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, thanks for the kind words on the pipes, glad the install went well.
Now for the oil. There is a reason there is a top notch on the gauge, that means the oil level is full. Once the car is warm the needle can go to the top notch. The oil system is actually 12.4 quarts to do a complete oil change (incl. both filters drain oil lines etc). The gauge and the dipstick equate to roughly 2 quarts of oil. So warm and level, a half gauge (if sender is accurate) should be one quart down. The dipstick should be covered to the top of the spiral when full.
Sounds like you probably have nothing to worry about and the tech did the right job. If he didn't replace the filters and drain the lines, the 10 quarts would be about right. As long as you aren't blowing white smoke from the motor compartment (overflow burning), don't worry about it.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:53 AM
melman911
Burning Brakes

First, thanks for the kind words on the pipes, glad the install went well.
Now for the oil. There is a reason there is a top notch on the gauge, that means the oil level is full. Once the car is warm the needle can go to the top notch. The oil system is actually 12.4 quarts to do a complete oil change (incl. both filters drain oil lines etc). The gauge and the dipstick equate to roughly 2 quarts of oil. So warm and level, a half gauge (if sender is accurate) should be one quart down. The dipstick should be covered to the top of the spiral when full.
Sounds like you probably have nothing to worry about and the tech did the right job. If he didn't replace the filters and drain the lines, the 10 quarts would be about right. As long as you aren't blowing white smoke from the motor compartment (overflow burning), don't worry about it.
Chris thanks for the info. All I can say is the cats are awesome. Thanks for everything.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Cool, make sure to tell a friend.........or a couple hundred
Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 AM
PorscheDavid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to hear about your driving impressions of the new free flow cats...
Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Mel,
Take a moment to review oil level observations in that thread. Half way up the stick spiral works best for me for the reasons quoted.

If overfilled, by far the easiest way to extract some oil IMHO is to open the case drain on a cold engine - there is ~2l that runback on shutdown, and if quick with the plug, one can drain any fraction of that as desired .... done!

Do not try that on the reservoir drain ....
Old 05-10-2008, 10:30 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by melman911
My brother says there are two plugs to drain. Any thoughts?
Mel- there are two plugs to drain. One for the crankcase and one for the oil tank (in the fender well). Easy job, really. Next time, bring it over and I'll walk you through it. I promise I won't overfill.....
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I accidently overfilled my car the first time I changed the oil. I just put it back up, loosened the oil tank plug and held a quart bottle under it. I held the plug in place, loosened by hand until I had a slow steady stream of oil pouring into my container. Once the one quart was out, I just screwed the plug back in. Easy and simple. No need to turn this into a real problem...
Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Mel,
If it truly is overfilled (which it certainly sounds like), I would try one of those oil extraction units. Basically a large plastic reservoir with a pump handle on top. You place the long tube down the filler neck and pull out as much as you need to.

Pulling the plug on the oil tank will bathe you in 8 or 9 quarts of syn oil. The plug on the engine case typically yields a few quarts.

Andreas
I use the exact same thing. Got it at West marine too as Andreas suggested.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is another brand of oil removal vacuum pump called the Toposider, also available at marine stores.

I would be curious as to the level in your car by the dipstick method...lt us know.

Also, the guys at the dealership that do oil changes are not your top mechanics...just ask the Seattle Porsche Dealer about buying a motor for a brand new 996 Turbo that was over filled by some pimple picker! Plus our cars are out ten years and two model revs...the dealers are better with current models. There are of course exceptions.

You might find a good Indy mechanic...I bet there are some near you if there is dealer. I'll bet some folks here can recomend a trusted Indy....
Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Is there a risk of the car running too hot with excessive oil?

Scott
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
Mel,
Take a moment to review oil level observations in that thread. Half way up the stick spiral works best for me for the reasons quoted.

If overfilled, by far the easiest way to extract some oil IMHO is to open the case drain on a cold engine - there is ~2l that runback on shutdown, and if quick with the plug, one can drain any fraction of that as desired .... done!

Do not try that on the reservoir drain ....
+1

First, if the oil level is at or below the top mark on the twist don't worry about it, it will most likely burn itself down in a thousand miles or so.

If it's over the full mark, then follow Garth's advice (I've done it myself for a different reason) and with the engine cold loosen the crankcase drainplug, not the oil tank drain plug and you will get at most 2 qts. out of the case when cold. In your case you wouldn't need to let it fully drain and just guesstimate a half a qt. or so and then tighten the plug back. It's very easy task, the biggest issue is getting yourself low enough to get under the rear of your car.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: Think the dealer overfilled my car. Need advice