Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

airbag light on, suspect clock-spring.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:06 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default airbag light on, suspect clock-spring.

I have a 1996 993 (no onboard computer) and I was changing out instrument gauge lights and I removed airbag & steering wheel.

Now I have an airbag light on indefinitely when I drive. My questions are:

1) A Rennlist search says the clock-spring is often the culprit. How do I test for a bad clock-spring?

2) Even with a new clock-spring must I reset this airbag warning ("!") with some sort of OBD tester? Are there any "cheaper" (i.e. non-Porsche) testers that do this sort of thing?

3) Can I reset this airbag system by unpowering the car (no battery hook-up) for a designated time?

Marc G.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:20 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had to replace my clock spring and I remember that you can ohm out each contact on the bench with a standard multimeter. I found the offending open traces but I could not repair - I had to replace it.

I dont remember issues with the airbag light needing reset. I dont know if the light cleared itself or if it was simple to clear with an OBD tool. It will be interesting to hear what other say but I dont remember it being a big deal. I even drove mine around without an airbag and my car is a 95 that is not OBDII compliant like yours.

3) Again, wait to hear what others say but I think mine reset immediately once the new clock spring was in place....

I wish my memory was better.

Make sure you plugged everything together properly. Its smells fishy that your clock spring would go bad at the same time. I fortunately had an intermittent horn that would randomly sound or not sound depending on whether I was taking a turn. I would go back and check the wiring/plugs (bent pins etc) closely before buying a new spring.

Last edited by tj90; 04-21-2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:31 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your input tj90. But it seems to me that, although the circuits for the airbag systems b/w our cars my be pretty similar, I fear the differences b/w your 95 OBDI and my 96 OBDII are fairly significant.

I did bring my car to one shop to explore my problem and they told me several codes (21,2,103) all came up even after they were cleared right after car was restarted. They suggested a "switching unit" (993.618.217.00) as the culprit. But that's a $550 part with $200-300 labor for a POSSIBILITY that they found the problem. They couldn't guarantee this was the fix.

I just felt it was too coincidental that my tinkering with the instrument lights and airbag is when this all happened. Could I have shorted something out? I've done the same maneuvers in the past (remove gauge lights, airbag, steering wheel) and one time I did trigger the airbag light, but a shop reset it without a problem.

Any other tech-savvy Rennlister's out there with some ideas or answers to my questions?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:39 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stupid question, but did you make sure when you plugged the airbag connector back into the rear of the bag, it was actually seated fully? I removed mine once and when my light stayed on I pulled the bag back off only to find out I didn't bottom out the connector. The light (I found) still needs to be re-set either by the dealer or a good diagnostic tool, but still that little connector really snaps in tight.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

No question is stupid in my eyes. We all have to start somewhere.

In answer to your question, yes I have checked and replugged my airbag connector back in several times. Doesn't seem to have been loose. Although there doesn't seem to be a polarity to the plug at all. I've tried it both ways.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:44 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am no expert, but I think that if you powered up the car while the airbag was disconnected, you are going to have to reset the airbag light with the "Hammer" or via another diagnostic tool with the capability. I am not sure if your average autozone type OBD-II reader can reset it.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:03 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Jeff is right. You probably turned the key in the ignition when you had your clock out, or the airbag out. If either of those happens, you get an airbag light. BTDT. I have the rennlist diagnostic scanner and was able to reset mine.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Just need some one to chime in on how to reset a 96 or newer airbag light. Im sure it was already covered on this forum. search and see what comes up. If you attempt to clear with a known good way and light does not clear, I would then check the spring. These are known to go bad and consider it a PM if it is not your current problem. The copper lines in the flex on my spring had simply cracked open where it takes the the sharp bend. I suspect that they all fail in this high stress area. Once I isolated the bad traces, it was easy to find the problem - of course the flex was out of the plastic housing and it was garbage at that point...
Old 04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Jeff is right. You probably turned the key in the ignition when you had your clock out, or the airbag out. If either of those happens, you get an airbag light. BTDT. I have the rennlist diagnostic scanner and was able to reset mine.
What rennlist diagnostic scanner are you referring to? Where did you buy it and how much did it cost?

Anyone know what the part number is for the clock spring? It wasn't clear in the parts catalog. Where do I get one? Is it a dealer item only?

Marc
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

I got my clock spring from sunsetimports.com. Call them up, these go out all the time so they will know what you need. The rennlist scanner was a DIY project for the guys with the OBDI system ('95). You do not need this. Did you search on the board to determine a known-good way to reset the airbag light on a 96 or newer?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what these things run new, but there is presently one listed HERE on eBay for $190.

Quick Reply: airbag light on, suspect clock-spring.