Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone installed their own rollbar?? was it easy to do??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...thanks...sounds like its doable..i have the autopower bar for my targa.the difference with the das bar is that the autopower needs to have all 4 legs bolted to the floor and rear panel.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
stevedowd911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to install an Autopower bar in my '95 coupe by myself. I am 6' 5", so my long arms helped when putting the nuts on the bolts and having to reach from inside the car to inside the wheel well .

I also remember taking the seats out so that I could get the bar into the car and move it around while trying to get it in the right space. It also took a while to cut the interior panels around the bar attachment points on the rear panel (bolted through to the wheel well, if that makes sense).
Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Doable? Yes,
Royal PITA? Yes,

I have done 3 DAS bars, it was not till I did #3 that I realized the reason they need "persuading" is the wiring harness that gets pinched under the carpet (not good). To do this right, you need to peel back the carpet under the seat belt retractors (this is the PITA part), reach in, find the harness, undo a couple of the harness mounting clips, (and grind off the requisite mounting studs, if memory serves), then move the wiring harness down about 3 inches. Do this on both sides, then the bar drops right in.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary
Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 PM
targagr
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jscott82

thanks for headsup...this is exactly what i was looking and wondering at last night.!! the harness needs to be moved.i am also concerned about having enough room to tighten everything from under the car...plus seems like i have to put the car on stands like you have in your avatar right?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by targagr
jscott82

thanks for headsup...this is exactly what i was looking and wondering at last night.!! the harness needs to be moved.i am also concerned about having enough room to tighten everything from under the car...plus seems like i have to put the car on stands like you have in your avatar right?
I have only done the DAS bar (which I have been very pleased with). To put this one in there are no holes or "through the floor" mountings. The main hoop simply bolts between the seatbelt retractor and body. Since this is heavy reinforced it seems to be a good solution. So no stands needed, just remove the front seats, move the wiring harness, permanently remove the rear seat backs, remove the interior quarter panel covers, and it pretty much drops right in.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:41 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

oh yeah.... one last piece of advise.... bolt the rear legs in first.... its much easier to wrangle them without the front ones connected.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

I did mine in my 996 GT3 and got it in and busted my windsheild, knuckles and pride. I threw a ratchet so far it ended up in my neighbors back yard and we did find it till spring when he mowed his yard.
OOPS!

Quick Reply: has anyone installed their own rollbar?? was it easy to do??