993 Forum 1995-1998

PHOTOS in ...How to remove whirring sound from 993 dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:04 AM
trevi1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PHOTOS in ...How to remove whirring sound from 993 dash

Hey pMens I want to sent this photos to help your DIY in ...How to remove whirring sound from 993 dash.. it post helppp meee too muchhh and I want to help some one more with the photos take by me. Geolab if you like the photos take it to your post. And Thanks a lot.
Attached Images         
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No wonder my AC sucks so bad if that is the size of the blower fan. 8^)

I have a kind of whirring noise - when did you hear yours? All the time?

Dave
Old 04-13-2008, 12:47 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think this was discussed once or twice. If I recall, A) the fan spins for awhile after the car shuts off. B) it sometimes gets a little squeaky...greasing it up can help.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

excellent and thank you very much
Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Geolab, where is the article that he mentioned?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hello Mark, the article is the second in the DIY section of this site;

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-993-1995-1998/353218-how-to-remove-whirring-sound-from-993-dash.html
Old 04-13-2008, 10:06 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

THanks!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have often debated doing this DIY, but I am a bit confused. Obviously this little fan is for cooling the Climate Control Unit (CCU) only, I get that. I have never heard mine run after shutting my car off, so maybe mine is silent.

The reason I am considering doing this DIY is the whirling noise I hear that increases in volume as I turn my fan speed from say...#1 to #4 etc.

So is this little fan tied to the regular heat/air conditioning fan speed and I am hearing it OR is the noise actually coming from the regular fan/air flow only?

My thought is that this little fan only has one speed and runs when the CCU gets hot and a thermostat tells it to run. But I know for a fact the sound I hear increases in volume with the CCU fan speed.

That lead me to believe that the whirling was just a noisy design of the heating and cooling system of our cars.

But now the more I think about it, how could that whirling noise increase from nothing more than air being pushed by a fan that is actually back on top of the motor.

I suppose I will go do this DIY (the pics are great!) and report back.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:31 PM
trevi1
Intermediate

Mark may be this fan is only to take air from the cab and pass this air to the temp sensor and make your AirCont. work like you want. And get out the key and put your ear in he left side AC control...
Old 04-13-2008, 01:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

There also is a how to in the DIY 964 forum from 3 years ago.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hook up Pcarworkshop with this DIY, but make sure you explain how not to scratch the mahogany table.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

If you get the doilly dirty, just flip it over and say nothing.......
Old 04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
I have often debated doing this DIY, but I am a bit confused. Obviously this little fan is for cooling the Climate Control Unit (CCU) only, I get that. I have never heard mine run after shutting my car off, so maybe mine is silent.

The reason I am considering doing this DIY is the whirling noise I hear that increases in volume as I turn my fan speed from say...#1 to #4 etc.

So is this little fan tied to the regular heat/air conditioning fan speed and I am hearing it OR is the noise actually coming from the regular fan/air flow only?

My thought is that this little fan only has one speed and runs when the CCU gets hot and a thermostat tells it to run. But I know for a fact the sound I hear increases in volume with the CCU fan speed.

That lead me to believe that the whirling was just a noisy design of the heating and cooling system of our cars.

But now the more I think about it, how could that whirling noise increase from nothing more than air being pushed by a fan that is actually back on top of the motor.

I suppose I will go do this DIY (the pics are great!) and report back.
when i changed my pollen filter i had a fan noise...the cover was catching on the fan. locate the plastic cover over the pollen filter and with the fan running push on the plastic....the noise should increase if you do this this and that could be your problem.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Well, I have concluded that our old school 993's simply have a noisy HVAC system. I completed the above DIY. Took longer to go to the neighborhood hardware store for graphite lube stuff than it did for the whole DIY.

Trevi1 is correct. The little guy is not to cool the CCU, it's simply to move air past the little sensors. Also FWIW the little fan appears to spin at one speed. I hooked everything back up before I slid the CCU unit back into place and watched the little fan spin (silently). It also starts spinning immediately after you turn the key regardless if the fan control **** is in position #0 or any other speed. It continued to spin for about 3 seconds after my (cold) car was shut off.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SPIKES
when i changed my pollen filter i had a fan noise...the cover was catching on the fan. locate the plastic cover over the pollen filter and with the fan running push on the plastic....the noise should increase if you do this this and that could be your problem.
Good additional comment. I just changed my pollen filters myself and I am pretty sure that both filters & covers all seated down properly without any unusual contact with the fan(s).

I think I just expected that when the fan motor was in position # 4 the air flow (noise) shouldn't be anymore noticeable than in postion #1...but that is not the case.

Quick Reply: PHOTOS in ...How to remove whirring sound from 993 dash