Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Replacing Rear Deck Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread i know but................and i have searched.

Has anyone found a speaker replacement for the Hi-Fi option rear speaker [4 ohm, 4 3/8" diameter speaker] only; this is the one that goes, the little 1 1/4" is usually ok.

Some cutting/adaption would be involved but would look OE when installed. [see above pix]
Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 PM
p993c4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m also looking for rear speaker replacements. Anyone replaced the rear speakers with active subwoofer(s)?
Probably a crazy idea for most… In any case, some of the latest under seat models might fit, after some adaptations, without “disturbing” the original interior too much.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:34 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

p993c4 ..... 'In any case, some of the latest under seat models might fit, after some adaptations, without “disturbing” the original interior too much.'

Have you seen how much space there is 'under the seat?"

The thread is not about sub-woofers.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:58 PM
p993c4
Advanced

Originally Posted by x50type
p993c4 ..... 'In any case, some of the latest under seat models might fit, after some adaptations, without “disturbing” the original interior too much.' Have you seen how much space there is 'under the seat?" The thread is not about sub-woofers.
I have checked the space under the seats; no suitable sub-woofer found so far. This is of course still an option, maybe a more realistic.
Sorry for asking in this thread, should have started a new thread.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by p993c4
I have checked the space under the seats; no suitable sub-woofer found so far. This is of course still an option, maybe a more realistic.
Sorry for asking in this thread, should have started a new thread.
It will depend on the type of seats for one.
With the motorized seats, it will depend on how low or high the seats are set. I like to have my seats as low as possible, so there is virtually no space, but if you were to set the seats up higher, there would be some space.

Pioneer used to have a line of slim subwoofers, not sure if they are still manufacturing them or not, as it has been a few years since I last looked, but that may be an option.

For most, Rod Birch's design should work pretty well, unless you have the seats all the way back. The custom set that double camel sold recently was a steal, whoever got those got a great deal.

In my 911 SC, I used a JL Audio micro sub, and it sounded great. It housed an 8" subwoofer that I powered in mono, using a bridged amp.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM
p993c4
Advanced

The challenge with fitting a subwoofer under the motorized seat, is exactly as you describe, Kika. I would like to be able to move the seat to all possible positions, meaning that I have started to look into other options.
I replaced the front speakers some time ago, but didn’t find any rear deck speakers that could provide improved sound, at least not much. With the limited space, and the rear window very close, there is no much possibilities for improvements.
BUT, nowadays there are coming more and more small active subwoofers! I mentioned the subwoofer models designed for under the seats, but there are also other options, still very small.
So, the subject here is very much the rear deck speakers, even if I’m disturbing this thread with a subwoofer view.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:54 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

p993c4

Smooth high jack - thanks.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:03 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Ok, I had an afternoon to reinstall the rear deck speakers. At first I placed the Polk 4x6 into the existing opening and reversed the 993 part number spacer plate. The grilles snapped on but the speaker seemed to sit off of the rear deck by 1/8", this bothered me. So, this weekend I disassembled everything and brought out my Dremel tool and milled off the flange on this spacer so that it would fit over the raised oval rim of the Polk speaker. See photo, left side is spacer with flange milled or ground off and the right side is before. I ordered a pair of these when I ordered new grilles from Sunset. These spacers are only $1.50 each and the grille $32.00. Use the Dremel medium grit sanding cylinder and take off the flange material until you get close to the actual oval
and clean up with the fine grit attachment.

Once milled, the spacer slips right over the speaker and once all (4) screws are tightened down, everything sits level like it did when it came off of the production line.

I'll post a photo of the finished install once I receive the new grilles .

Ok, the door speakers are next...Do these just unscrew and remount from the front or do the door panels need to be removed?
Originally Posted by 95_993
I installed my POLK db461 on the rear deck today. It took about 45 minutes and that included soldering the factory connectors. Rather than dremel the frame, I flipped it over, snapped it on, screwed in the speakers and snapped on the factory grills (sits virtually). No dremel required. A definite improvement over stock and a nice complement to the FOCAL 165s I put in the doors a couple months back.
great advice and thanks! Ordering now ... hope they have the front ones too ... I take it from what said before that the 6in is perfect, but 6.5 can work.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:59 AM
Alfa40
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been a while since this thread was last dug up, but I am wondering if time told us of a better option than the aforementioned Polk speakers. If not, is there anyone who would be willing to "help out" with milling the speaker bracket, as this is something that I would not feel comfortable doing..

EDIT: I found these original HiFi speakers, apparently plug and play. Does anyone know how their sound compares to the Polk rear speakers mentioned in this thread?

Last edited by Alfa40; 02-03-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:48 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gert Carnewal sells a rear speaker for the hi fi option. I don’t have experience with this particular product but everything I’ve purchased from Gert has been excellent.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Alfa40
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sandia man
Gert Carnewal sells a rear speaker for the hi fi option. I don’t have experience with this particular product but everything I’ve purchased from Gert has been excellent.
Thanks, those are actually the ones I put in the link. I was wondering if someone had a more or less reliable verdict on what to choose between this one and the Polks, or perhaps a new third contender altogether.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:23 PM
mcm185
AutoX

just posted about some 3d printed plates I made to solve the fitament issue. Some of you may be interested in some

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...er-mounts.html
Old 02-05-2018, 12:39 AM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfa40
It has been a while since this thread was last dug up, but I am wondering if time told us of a better option than the aforementioned Polk speakers. If not, is there anyone who would be willing to "help out" with milling the speaker bracket, as this is something that I would not feel comfortable doing..

EDIT: I found these original HiFi speakers, apparently plug and play. Does anyone know how their sound compares to the Polk rear speakers mentioned in this thread?
Wow! If you don't have a Targa, these are the correct factory speakers for the Hi-Fi option. About 3X the price of the Polks I think. Getting the Polks to fit is not a big issue, you need a Dremel like tool or a flat file to just give the corner edges of the Polk housing some "trimming". Really easy and if you take your time and try to snap on the OEM speaker grill youe will take off the required amount. PM me and I can dig up some photos or search for my posts and I should have one with a photo showing how much to take off. Not much at all. The Polks are great -- if you order through Crutchfield, I believe they also provide the wire adaptor to make it a plug-n-play solution.

i order the Polk Audio db461p which are no longer available. The option they have is more traditional -- I would check them out and see what are the latest options. Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2018, 12:54 AM
Alfa40
Instructor

Originally Posted by will007
Wow! If you don't have a Targa, these are the correct factory speakers for the Hi-Fi option. About 3X the price of the Polks I think. Getting the Polks to fit is not a big issue, you need a Dremel like tool or a flat file to just give the corner edges of the Polk housing some "trimming". Really easy and if you take your time and try to snap on the OEM speaker grill youe will take off the required amount. PM me and I can dig up some photos or search for my posts and I should have one with a photo showing how much to take off. Not much at all. The Polks are great -- if you order through Crutchfield, I believe they also provide the wire adaptor to make it a plug-n-play solution.

i order the Polk Audio db461p which are no longer available. The option they have is more traditional -- I would check them out and see what are the latest options. Good Luck!
Thanks, I came to the same conclusion and think Polks are still the way to go. The updated model seems to be called DB463. I don't have a dremel, but perhaps I can be the first to do it with a swiss army knife's nail file...
What front speakers did you use? Did you also replace the small speakers in the upper front door? Are those plug-and-play, too?
Old 02-08-2018, 01:32 PM
mcm185
AutoX

If anyone is interested I will sell 3D printed speaker mounts for $45/set shipped in USA they work with the non-hifi grills and will fit a 4x6 speaker flush with the top.

Attachment 1351559
Name:  YjaEPqV.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  118.1 KB
Name:  P9ZojyP.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  120.5 KB

Quick Reply: Replacing Rear Deck Speakers