Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Baby car seat for rear seats of 993

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:13 AM
mikop1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a recaro child seat @ target.com. It has d dimensions there. It fits my 996 c2 perfect. It's a recaro vivo 3 to 10 yrs, 30 to 100lbs.
heres a picture please click below if u dont see it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10856847@N06/3015224885/

It looks awesome and really cheap $109 shipped.

miko
Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 366 Posts
Default Rear Tether Anchor

Here's the link top Robin's site that shows access to the rear anchor point for the tether.

http://members.rennlist.com/movies1/Child_Seat.html
Old 11-12-2008, 12:43 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Reuben...I'm having problems figuring the view on the pic you posted...is that the side of the seat for the myte tight adapter or whatever it is called?

BTW...can't speak to safety or such, but there are also some links where people replaced the lap belt mount points with BK harness mounts, then used the child seat LATCH tethers.

The link above on Robin's site is for coupes only, but is supposed to work great for the rear tether point. There is no such mounting point on North American cabs. Canadian cabs apparently are supposed to have a mounting point on the rear of the rear cab seatback, but even a Canadian dealer cannot figure out the part number and how it is mounted. PCNA can't say whether the American cab has the mounting point and just covered it with rear carpet, or if it is a different seat back.

It is on my list of things to do: Get my roll bar out and get back there, peel back the carpet on the seat back and look for a cab rear tether point, but I broke my neck in 3 places a few months ago and am not yet quite up to the contortions that would be required for that particular exercise.

Finally, my above comments regarding an inability to find a rear-facing seat were more around the convertible seats. I have put a rear facing infant seat in, but it did require that my wife ride in the back seat and we fold the front passenger seat forward...not super comfy. But that was also before I knew what I was doing, so I might have had it all screwed up. Porsche does sell an infant seat that is supposed to work nicely, but honestly, the seat doesn't look all that great from a safety standpoint compared to seats such as the SnugRide.

Just my .02...YMMV
Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a phD in this topic after years of trying to get it right...

my experience - there is no seat that truly fits safely in the back seat... but life is all about balancing risk with reward, so I decided to put the seat in the back that fits the best...no question that is the Britax Roundabout
Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on what everyone has said, it sounds like the Britax Runabout fits in the Coupe but not in the Cab. Is that correct or has no one tried to fit the Runabout in a Cab?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:57 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be trying when it is a bit warmer out and I feel like getting the rollbar out and trying to get a Britax Diplomat (I think like the Roundabout but with side impact protection and a slightly lower height/weight capacity).
Old 01-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Question Graco ComfortSport

Has anyone tried to install a Graco ComfortSport in a 993 Coupe?
I have convinced the wife that a seat that will fit the 993 is a must, but the Britax was just to expensive for her.

Now that my son is 10 months old and pushing 22 pounds, and I have looked at the height weight chart for the first year. Why do most rear facing infant car seats only go up to 22 pounds? Seems like it is they have now gotten me to spend another $100+ to get through the last few months of his first year (we already have two forward facing car seats)...
Old 01-23-2009, 03:20 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has anyone tried to install a Graco ComfortSport in a 993 Coupe?
I have convinced the wife that a seat that will fit the 993 is a must, but the Britax was just to expensive for her.
Well, everyone has to make their own choice, and I don't mean this to sound preachy, but in your $80,000 car (new), you get to sit in prob $2000 worth of seat with an integrated seat belt / air bag restraint system, crumple zones, etc. Your little one gets whatever seat you buy. $100 or so here or there on the seat is pretty inconsequential, IMHO, if it is ever needed. Buy the seat that fits the best whether it is $50 or $350. Just my $.02.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

JPS - my sentiments exactly.

As for the person driving around with his child on the front seat, I am speechless.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:25 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Default baby seats

picked these up at Walmart. graco. my kids are 3 and 4 1/2. There are also posts on Pelican Parts on this topic.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:08 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftre reading this thread I picked up a Britax Roundabout. I am using it in my truck for now (rear facing), and will use it next summer in the 993 as a forward facing seat. I havent even tried to see how it fits yet....here's the thing: after reading on the britax site, the roundabout and the dimlomat are made for cars with limited rear seat space....so why is everyone recommending the roundabout? WHat about the Diploamt? It looks like it has more padding on it?

http://www.britax.ca/car-seats/roundabout
http://www.britax.ca/car-seats/diplomat
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi Reuben. - did the graco work for a rear facing seat in the rear of your coupe? My wife is 4 month pregnant and I don't want to give up my blissful 5+ years of 993 ownership!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

First of all: congratulations! The good news: There is no need to sacrifice your 993. Unless Graco have altered the measurements of their rear-facing seat, then it should fit snugly in the rear seat. Do not alter anything (some people have deconstructed the seat). The less good news: Unless your wife is very petite, it is unlikely that she will be able to fit in the front with the baby seat in the rear, as you have to slide the passenger seat all the way forward. I did manage to fit a stroller (Britax, as far as I recall) in the front, however.

After Graco, you can graduate to the Britax Roundabout (or similar model), and then to the superb Recaro seat. My 993 is my daily driver and I have had both my boys (now 7 and 5) in the back since birth, to and fro to pre-school, and now to school every day. Life is too short for minivans!

Good luck, and let me know how you manage.

Reuben
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^ What he said. My wife rode in back with my son in his infant seat exactly once. Honestly, I then just had to wait until he graduated to a forward facing seat, which was somewhere between 18 months and 2 years (please read sites such as www.thecarseatlady.com regarding timing and such and please don't just go by "common wisdom" of when to go front facing.

That said, once you are front facing you are all good. There are options, just not the big car seats used in SUVs.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

and then to the superb Recaro seat
Which one?

Quick Reply: Baby car seat for rear seats of 993