Dach 200 Cell Cats Installed Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:29 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dach 200 Cell Cats Installed Today

Finally got around to putting Chris' cats on the 993 this morning. Install took 2.5 hours which included about 20 minutes to drink a coffee between removal and install. Would have taken less time but had to loosen heat exchanger bolts and muffler clamps to get everything aligned before re-tightening. Drove it for an hour or so afterwards and really like the sound. A deeper sound at start and idle but at WOT......jeez it is amazing....

Only a slight problem in that I had to heat and reform the muffler ends as they were flattened a bit. Dont know if they shipped that way or perhaps were dropped during shipping. There was a flat on each muffler end of the cats about 1-1.5 inches long both in the same place. Torch and a large round bar stock with a hammer rounded them back out in seconds.

Remarkable workmansip on the cats. Good job Chris and thanks.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, thanks Bill. Did you take pics of the ends by any chance? I've not had any ship'd issues before. Was the box damaged? packing in disarray? The ends are machine formed so it must have been dropped or something.

Anyway, glad you like them
Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Bill I gotta witness this mod you speak of!!!! I just mentioned sport cats last night in my LPMM thread and the 993 Gods must have read my mind.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

You guys are killing me.

Chris - any chance for a rush job on mine?

Rob
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM
993inNC
Race Car

The BEST things come to those who WAIT Patience is a virtue and perfection can't be rushed

Did I cover them all
Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
The BEST things come to those who WAIT Patience is a virtue and perfection can't be rushed

Did I cover them all
Yes, you sound like my parents when I was a kid
Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 PM
fb47243
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris,

No I didn't take any pictures. The box might have been dropped but it really wasn't any big deal. Just heated the up with a torch for a few seconds til red hot and then using a 2" dia piece of solid steel rod, placed on the flat spot, hit it a few times with a large mallet and presto!!! Perfectly round. Had me scratching my head on fitting the cats in though until I realized you should loosen the muffler and get it out of the way a bit and then attach the cat to the heat exchanger (after loosening the 12 bolts, using a long hex key for the four that have clearance holes) first, then move the muffler back in position, attach to the cats, put the tips on, done!

I didn't put the clamps from the original cats back on. Hope thats OK???

Thanks Again Chris.

BTW....These machines (as well as your cats) are nothing short of phenomenal build quality, materials and workmanship. I did the work in the aiplane hanger and one of the aircraft machanics (he has two vettes...a new Z06 and older 76) stopped by when the car was up on my lift and was really amazed at the workmanship of these automobiles.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Oh man, your not going to hold that against me now are ya? So you'll call them and admit they were right after all once you get these right
Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 PM
fb47243
Lifetime Rennlist

Ryan...

Get the Dachs....GEt the Dachs...GET the DACHs.... GET THE DACHS!!!

Come use the lift to though to install...really wouldnt wanted to have done it on stands. Crap it's hard enough just getting out of bed in the morning for me at my age.....laying on the creeper...up and down for tools would have been a real pain.

Did I mention you should get the DACH'S?
Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Yeah Bill no real need for the extra clamps. The exchangers and muffs do a fine job of holding everything in place. We usually use 1/4" drive sockets etc... for getting at those exchanger bolts. The bischoffs are even harder to do.

I hate that they got damaged. What concerns me (and may be no big deal) is the heating of the tubing. Carbon steel is no big deal, but stainless gets weakened we you heat it up to red and allow to cool. Remember they never get that hot in use so this is far and a way hotter. May never cause a problem but technically probably became a little more brittle.

Thanks for the kind words and of course your patronage. We know there are choices......apparent by the different exhaust posts lately.

Enjoy!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM
fb47243
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
You guys are killing me.

Chris - any chance for a rush job on mine?

Rob

Rob,

Last time I settled for a rush job on mine was........nevermind......I was having a senior moment!!

Bill
Old 03-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fb47243
Rob,

Last time I settled for a rush job on mine was........nevermind......I was having a senior moment!!

Bill
I knew someone would ping me on the phrase "rush job"
Old 03-22-2008, 07:30 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by fb47243
Ryan...

Get the Dachs....GEt the Dachs...GET the DACHs.... GET THE DACHS!!!

Come use the lift to though to install...really wouldnt wanted to have done it on stands. Crap it's hard enough just getting out of bed in the morning for me at my age.....laying on the creeper...up and down for tools would have been a real pain.

Did I mention you should get the DACH'S?
I hear you on the lift Bill! My neck is blown the **** out today from just putting my mufflers back on yesterday. I feel like I went a round with Liddell!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Marlon
Drifting

The biggest hassle for me is those dang clamps...worked best by gently attaching the muffler band clamp and then diddle with the donut & clamp between the can input and cat output. I went with Gillet's on my 95' and it was pretty easy. Had it done in 40 mniutes. Hardest part (as always) is lining up those awesome fat chrome tips
Originally Posted by Cactus
I hear you on the lift Bill! My neck is blown the **** out today from just putting my mufflers back on yesterday. I feel like I went a round with Liddell!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:41 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Cactus, you talkin' smack?!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Dach 200 Cell Cats Installed Today