Sponsored by:

Dach 200 Cell Cats Installed Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Mighty J
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993inNC
well you've got to be careful with that statement, thats not really true. The cats still muffle the sound to some degree, and if used with stock muffs don't really add much sound at all. In fact with stock non motorsound muffs, there's hardly a change in sound. Sound all depends on which pieces are being used with which pieces. You can go mild or wild depending on the combination.
Ahoy Chris, I'm on back order for your 200 cell DACH X sport cat and now this response begs a question. I do want a small / medium amount of more noise out of this new set up. I have and will continue to use a Carrera Cup airbox with factory "sport mufflers" (not sure if those are the same as motor sound). Added will be your DACH X with a LWF and probably a Weiner- ized chip. Should I plan to also do a 2" LPMM??

Clearly I do not want Supercup / Harley volumes, nor attract too much attention at idle, but I want to hear it at start up and inside the car, especially on downshift blips and I want off throttle gurgles. I've got one shot at my shop this spring (Midwest Eurosport) then away for the summer and not near any decent shop till fall, so I want to get it as right as I can this visit, we have an abbreviated driving season here.

Thanks a bunch.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want to attract attention at idle, I would say not to do the LPMM. And I don't say that in offense to the "product", or Darin's work (if thats the route taken). I think you'll be satisfied with the outcome when you get the pipes on. The idle is a low rumble, but still subtle (all things considered) and when you get on it, you'll definitely here it
I would honestly say, start with the pipes and muffs you have, if its still not enough, you can always upgrade later, but you' have a harder time going backwards so........ let it be and see what you think, I believe you'll be okay.

BTW, we should be wrapped up with all the GB sets in the next week (mad rush all of a sudden from Dave) and when I get back from vacation the end of next week, we'll be starting yours (first) and others from after the GB.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
175 for the mod + shipping to get your cans there and shipping to get them back. Very cheap and very fast in the grand scheme of things. Turnaround time was a day or two I think. Click on 'User CP' in the upper LH of the screen to update your signature, etc.
Sounds like you employ the same 'new math' I do with my wife for these things....

- $100 for the cans from Ebay
- $50 for shipping from Ebay seller
- $40 for shipping to Darin
- $150 for the LPMM work
- $40 for return shipping

Looks like $380 or so............

I love the sound!

Andreas
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 PM
993inNC
Race Car

I think Mar was assuming the mod was done to muffs already in possession, but more importantly, cans for $100 bucks? Man I wish I'd picked them up that cheap. I always get the high dollar ones.
Jeez with all the scrap tubing we throw out I should make a set of those LPMM's.............ah, I leave that to Darin, got enough to do must stop adding to the projects list
Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Marlon
Drifting

My experience with the LPMM muffler is that it does not increase the idle volume significantly. As a matter of fact, my wife asked "What did you do"? when she heard mine. If you want an idle-sound thrill, you will not get it with the 2" LPMM. The idle 'note' is slightly different however. The TRAINED ear will discern the difference. In fact, with the windows rolled up, I cannot tell the difference between LPMM muffs and factory while driving. The sound is different, yes, but in my mind WILL NOT attract attention from the unitiated.

BTW: I have started on of my 993's with no mufflers and the sound is kind of wretched. There is a HUGE difference in muffed and non-muffed exhast note on a cat converter 993. If there was not, they would not have come with mufflers.

If you don't want to attract attention at idle, I would say not to do the LPMM. And I don't say that in offense to the "product", or Darin's work (if thats the route taken). I think you'll be satisfied with the outcome when you get the pipes on. The idle is a low rumble, but still subtle (all things considered) and when you get on it, you'll definitely here it
I would honestly say, start with the pipes and muffs you have, if its still not enough, you can always upgrade later, but you' have a harder time going backwards so........ let it be and see what you think, I believe you'll be okay.

BTW, we should be wrapped up with all the GB sets in the next week (mad rush all of a sudden from Dave) and when I get back from vacation the end of next week, we'll be starting yours (first) and others from after the GB.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
I have started on of my 993's with no mufflers and the sound is kind of wretched.
Wretched in a guttural, straight-from-Hades good sort of way. Had my junker not been on jackstands that day, I would probably have taken a quick spin around the neighborhood - unmuffled.

Andreas
Old 03-28-2008, 08:08 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Chris...so when are you going to do X-cats for turbos?!?!?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:42 AM
993inNC
Race Car

I have had more requests for those lately I just don't have a car to model anything off of. I need a Turbo to mock up on. Now if you have a 964, 996, 997, 6TT, GT3 Cayman, Boxster or Cayenne..............I got you covered Just no 3TT............I am sorry
Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris...I'm located in Raleigh...maybe we can meet. ;-)
Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Oh wow, what would be the odds of getting the car for a w/e sometime in the near future? We need enough time to dis assemble, mock test fit etc....and re assemble. May even take 2 w/e, have to see it.
Could you take underside motor pics for me in the mean time, let me start planning?

I could even meet you somewhere with my enclosed trailer so you don't add miles and wear to the car.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Mighty J
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Chris, sounds like good advise.

The more I hear from those with experience with the DACH X, the more I am comfortable that I will be very pleased with the results. Excellent news on the timeline, can't wait to get them on! (Always like being first in line )

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:23 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris, I would be happy to take some underside pics. Car is pretty clean too so it should help. I'll do what I can to get it on a buddy's lift over the weekend and snap some hi-res shots.

I'm sure we can work something out with the car. It's going into the shop for some tweaks next week, then sound system install on Thurs. Might be able to work something out as soon as next weekend since I'll be at VIR for 3 days (don't need the car).

I'll PM you with my contact info and let's plan on chatting over the weekend.

-wes
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 PM
993inNC
Race Car

any time my friend, happy to help
Old 03-28-2008, 02:27 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Wes, I'm going to be out of town from this w/e thru next week. PM the your # and I'll call you when I get back. I'll be @ VIR with you To bad I don't have a double trailer......could tote it back with me Oh well you're not that far from me normally, we'll figure something out.

Off to go ship pipes out
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Mighty J
Rennlist Member

Good morning Chris, Wondering if you have any notions as to completion of the DACH X for me. Driving season is here!!

Thanks a ton!

Quick Reply: Dach 200 Cell Cats Installed Today