993 Forum 1995-1998

Torque Wrench: What range?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:15 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Torque Wrench: What range?

I'm looking to get a torque wrench and I'm curious... What range should I consider. 10-100 ft/lbs? 25-250 ft/lbs??? I don't know what the majority of the torque specifications on the car are (I'm kinda new at this). Simple stuff like lugs, spark plugs, and minor engine stuff.

I also know that most people prefer Snap-On. My mechanic says that Craftsman would be okay for me though. He says that the biggest difference that he sees is that the Snap-On is more comfortable to work with all day long as opposed to the Craftsman. Any thoughts???
Old 03-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Craftsman 25-250 ft/lb torque wrench and it works great. I have always heard if you earn your living with your tools go for snap on, if you are a hobbyist go for Craftsman.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I'm looking to get a torque wrench and I'm curious... What range should I consider. 10-100 ft/lbs? 25-250 ft/lbs??? I don't know what the majority of the torque specifications on the car are (I'm kinda new at this). Simple stuff like lugs, spark plugs, and minor engine stuff.

I also know that most people prefer Snap-On. My mechanic says that Craftsman would be okay for me though. He says that the biggest difference that he sees is that the Snap-On is more comfortable to work with all day long as opposed to the Craftsman. Any thoughts???

Mike,

Since wheel lug nuts and spark plugs require totally different torque settings, one cannot use one wrench to do both as their torque values exceed the range thats required.

I would suggest getting one GOOD one thats accurate instead of getting a cheap tool that:

1) Cannot be checked and recalibrated as needed.

2) Doesn't have sufficient accuracy to prevent damage to what you are working on. You would be surprised about cheap ones and their very narrow accuracy ranges.

You'll need one that goes from 25 to 200-250 lbs-ft for most tasks and an inch-lb (3/8"dr) one for spark plugs. Personally, I'd suggest that you buy one and learn to install plugs by feel so you'll not need that second one.

Snap-On and Hazet make good tools. A Snap-On one can be checked by most tool dealers in their trucks and if you take care of it, its more than a lifetime tool.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

I agree with Steve, and have 2, a 3/8th drive 5-75 pounds, and a 1/2 drive 50-250 pounds. Next on my list is a 1/4" drive for inch pounds, as I have some of those on my motorcycle. Might be some on a car too, just haven't encountered any yet.

I have Snap On, they come with their calibration printout so you know EXACTLY where your wrench is. All wrenches are most accurate within a certain range, the Snap Ons are pretty close the whole way, but you get the printout so you know where it may not be. That's why you want some overlap between wrenches. All Snap On QD's are certified to be +/- 4% across the entire range.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure but I would guess most manuals give torque specs in terms of Newton Meters as opposed to foot pounds. I remember about 30 years ago they exposed us to metric system and said "get ready because it's coming". Surprisingly we are still stuck in the dark ages. You may want to get the torque wrench that is adjustable to metric units.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

The Snap Ons come with a conversion chart for ft. pounds to inch pounds to Newton. You will need a calculator, but it's no big deal since once you have the conversion you just set it and go.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
RL Technical Advisor

I have two electronic Snap-On ones that, with a push of a button, display either ft-lbs (inch-lbs), or Nm. Makes this real easy.

I keep a Snap-On split-beam one around as backup and those are the most rugged ones they make. One of they best features is they you don't have to unwind them after use.

I do check their calibration twice a year.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:18 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to lowes and buy both wrenches - 150 ft lbs for most jobs and 250 ft lbs for those suspension jobs etc. They are both handy to have and each cost around $70-80. O like the 250 ftlb for lug nuts cause it does not take too many rotations of the handle to dial up 96 ft lbs. They are made in the USA by KD tool. The warranty is better than the Craftsman variety...
Old 03-23-2008, 12:09 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know if there is there a way to find my local Snap-On guy and get my wrench checked out? I left mine wound to 86Nm for a week or so.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:31 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought 2 Craftsman Professional 3/8 (15-75 ftlb) and 1/2 (30 -150ftlb) wrenches. I am not going to make a living with them and I really wanted a Utica wrench but I could not justify the price of the higher end wrenches that were easily over $250.00 for each one.

I was surprised that craftsman pro were +-3% rated and they came with a calibration print out. I also lucked out and got a 10% discount for buying them online.

BTW, these are not the ones at the store, you have to buy them on line.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:40 AM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems

I keep a Snap-On split-beam one around as backup and those are the most rugged ones they make. One of they best features is they you don't have to unwind them after use.
Steve,
How do you like the split-beam wrench compared with the more traditional style torque wrench?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Mikey!!!! Get a real good one for engine and stuff work-I got a snap on 25-75 foot pounds or Euro
measurements "Fig-newtons per litre". Then I got a craftsman 200lb one for torque on the lug nuts or studs
Email me and tell my how my brother is doing!! Paulgt3@gmail.com
Old 03-23-2008, 02:32 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by WarpMan
Steve,
How do you like the split-beam wrench compared with the more traditional style torque wrench?
Split-beam torque wrenches are far superior to the wind-up style ones. Wind-up wrenches are more sensitive to less-than-perfect handling, must always be returned to its lowest setting before storage, and requires more frequent recalibration due to greater wear (more moving parts).

I have my split-beam one checked semi-annually and its never been off after 20+ years.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:10 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WHB Porsche
Does anyone know if there is there a way to find my local Snap-On guy and get my wrench checked out? I left mine wound to 86Nm for a week or so.
If you want to send them to me I can get them calibrated. I see the Snap-On guy once a week, sadly
Old 03-23-2008, 03:55 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris my SNap On guys name is Mac.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench: What range?