Boston Shop Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boston Shop Experiences

Boston guys -

I need to have some work done on my 993. I'm doing Bilstien HDs, RS flywheel, clutch, and 60k service. To date my car has only been to Autobahn for oil changes.

From all the searching on the web, it looks like I have a choice of 3 -Exotech, Autobahn, and EPE. Can you folks share some of your experiences with each of these shops?

Ideallly, I'd like to get the parts from SunCoast or Vortex (read wholesale!), and pay labor to have the parts put in. I have no problem paying labor and profit, but Porsches prices are ridiculous. Porsche is making way too much margin on cars and won't be getting extra margin dollars from me buying parts from a dealer. I'm in manufacturing/engineering and have developed the motto "never pay retail". Some would say that makes me a cheapskate, I say it makes me an educated consumer.

Again, would love to hear thoughts on experience with each of these three shops.

Much appreciated - Aaron
Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

EPE did my PPI, 30K service, RoW M030/Bilstein set up and a top end, all within the last year since I bought the car.

They do very good work and are widely regarded as the "go to" shop in the Boston area.

You should know that EPE will not let you buy parts elsewhere and bring them in to be installed. You have to procure the parts through them. And, if you are looking to get the work done on the cheap, they are probably not the shop for you. They are considered the best around, and seem to price out accordingly.

I never had any work done at Autobahn, but before I did the suspension and top end I called there and spoke to someone about getting a price for the work and they never bothered to call me back. (Strange, because it was a very expensive job, so I don't think I'd use them inthe future even though they are closer to where I live due to the bad vibe I got customer service wise). (I this regard, Jerry at EPE is very prompt and professional and always willing to let you pick his brain.)

There is one other shop to consider-- Boston Sports Cars-- in Weston. They do Ferraris and Porsches and serviced my car when it belonged to the previous owner. (Actually, she lived a few blocks away). I've never used them, but she spoke very highly of them, as have others.

P.S. Where are you located? I am on the North Shore.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

I'm in Newburyport. I'm not looking get work done on the cheap. I find that always leads to trouble. I gladly pay for expertise, care, and thoroughness, but just have a tough time padding the pockets of Porsche through inflated parts prices.

Autobahn has always done my oil changes, but I had to call back a bunch of times to get a quote on the clutch - similar bad vibes I guess. I do like those guys 'cause they'll let you hang out in the shop and poke around. Just want to make sure I've got the best wrench on my car, as its going to become the daily driver when I move to CA

Thanks for the thoughts/experiences.

Aaron
Old 03-19-2008, 11:40 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Jerry at EPE lets you hang out and watch too. (There is actually no place to wait except in the shop). His right hand guy, Bill, is also excellent and is really patient about showing you around your car and answering all your questions.

I think whether you buy the parts from a wholesaler or the shop doing the install Porsche is getting paid about the same. The only difference is that the shops charge a slightly higher premium than the wholesaler would. In the end, the mark up is not all that much (I believe it was something like $150 more than the best "group buy" price), but you also don't have the hassle of dealing with shipping etc. (I can PM you with the price I was charged)

If you will be taking the car to CA with you I think having a service record from EPE would be a good thing. Jerry is very well known and respected (on this board and beyond), so that might be worth something one day.

Several people have inquired about buying my car, I know in no small part due to the fact that EPE did the top end.

I will actually be in Newburyport for dinner on Saturday, so keep your eyes out for a blue 993 if the weather permits.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:11 PM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Good to hear.

I was actually just referred to Gerry last night at a bike shop meeting in Concord of all places. He's expecting my call - will call shortly.

Sounds like a cool shop!

I'll be out Sat in NBPT as well - '95 Iris Blue Mettalic with basket handle light, 100% stock but with H&R springs.

Where are you on the north shore?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:23 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Swampscott
Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

Another northshore dweller here, Amesbury, and have dinner at Glens in Newburyport often. I have had experience with both EPE and Autobohn. Used Jerry when I lived further south and for the past 5 years Autobhn. Bottom line is you can't go wrong with either one, Both hone their skills on the track and keep up with what is going on here.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

My 993 is at Exotech now getting some suspension work done. I can't speak highly enough of Mark. He's not a "warm and fuzzy" kind of guy (which I prefer), he's no nonsense no BS and won't "hold your hand" but he will do the right thing for you which is what ultimately matters. He did my top end and a handful of other stuff last winter on my 993 and I couldnt be more delighted.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

I'm with fast freddy on this one..
Old 03-19-2008, 08:06 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I know all three ...

Jerry at EPE has a sterling reputation and they are a first-class outfit with impeccable knowledge and facilities. He has done major work for me in the past.

Autobahn was more convenient to me when I was on the North Shore; they can get a little busy and they also work on Audis, but I never had a bad experience there.

And Mark at Exotech is a no-frills guy who, if you are patient because it's basically a one-man operation and he is very into racing himself and building engines for the PCA guys up there, can save you a ton of money, and doesn't mind if you source your own parts. It's a bit of a haul from Boston, though.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. For what it's worth, now that I live back on the South Shore, I take my car to Jerry.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
aaronazevedo
Instructor

Thanks guys - awsome feedback. I know Autobahn well. They've worked on my Porsches and Audis for 10 years or so. I'm meeting with Mark next week and Gerry in 2 weeks. Like interviewing before signing up for big expensive, super important work!!

I'll go from there!

Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
visible23
Instructor

I've good luck with Marc at GPS (German Performance Service) in Cambridge right behind Whole Foods at Fresh Pond. A great wrench and willing (and eager) to talk about your car and the possibilities for it...conservative or wild.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:01 PM
renn911
Instructor

Hi Aaron,

Many shops will charge you a higher shop rate for labor if you don’t buy the parts from them. It costs so much to retain top talent and the overhead makes it such that the shops need to make money on the parts. Just something to keep in mind if you get push back from a shop owner.

You can’t go wrong with these shops, but if you are looking for an alternative on the North Shore with expertise, care, and thoroughness and plenty of racing experience please PM me.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Jerry at EPE is the best IMHO, he is the only one who works on my Cup car.

If not Jerry, then I would next to go Bill Pfister at Eurotech.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:06 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Jerry at EPE is the best IMHO, he is the only one who works on my Cup car.

If not Jerry, then I would next to go Bill Pfister at Eurotech.
Dating myself but Bill used to work for Jerry at EPE.

Quick Reply: Boston Shop Experiences