Sponsored by:

OT: VW R32 with DSG transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by autosea
The 993 is so blah compared to the GTI it is sick!!! After driving the GTI and then getting in the 993 it feels clunky. The steering has no feel. creaking windshield
I just am in awe with my daily driver GTI while the 993 sits in the garage
I can't relate to anything you've said. You actually think that a FWD four cylinder has something over the 993??? I just bought a 2.0T A4 and I'm impressed with the performance numbers (chiped) but I would never compare it to a 993. There's really nothing I can say beyond what Danny said above. You reallly ought to sell that clunky, creaky Carrera S of yours to someone who can appreciate it.

give you a fighting chance with the Riceburner your trying to race.
Oh, I get it now...
Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 PM
911C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a GTI DSG (Wife) and an A3 6 speed MT (me).

The A3 when driven agggresively is just a blast. THe GTI however I feel is even better. The shifts are instantaneous, the power keeps coming.

At WOT there are not many trans I have ever seen react better.

At grandma pace however the GTI is a bit confused. If you come up a hill at low RPM it will think for a second before it shifts.

Keep in mind this is a automatically shifted manual trans.

For spirited driving the DSG is just amazing, launch controll is cool.

The R32 is a neat car, its kinde the grown up GTI. Off the line head to head drag, adding the extra weight of the rear diff, the 50 extra ponies go away. But it is a more refined car.

I LOVE our GTI.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not replacing my 993! Just for many reasons, doesn't work for a daily driver to/from work. I have a 2001 GTI now, so the R32 is similar only better.

I do agree that the initial throttle movement is sensitive, so comments about driving around town are valid. Over the last day, I have talked with several DSG owners, most seem happy.

So think I'm going for it.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 993
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not replacing my 993! Just for many reasons, doesn't work for a daily driver to/from work. I have a 2001 GTI now, so the R32 is similar only better.

I do agree that the initial throttle movement is sensitive, so comments about driving around town are valid. Over the last day, I have talked with several DSG owners, most seem happy.

I looked into the R32, as well, this winter. The mid $30's is alot of money for
VW's ultimate Thunder Bunny. By the numbers the only thing the R32
beat the new GTI in was straight line acceleration. The GTI is the winner
in the slalom and braking distance. The GTI is also a big winner on price.
In the end I just decided to keep my 2003 GTI, it still is under 20000 miles!
Can't justify car payments for a new daily driver when my (old) one is
is doing fine and looking good doing it!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The GTI is the winner in GAS mileage as well...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mid 30's will get you an 02 996.....
Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am looking at a Golf edition 30 to replace my S4,,, this seems a far better option than the R32.....I don't know if you have them in the US? The edition 30 has a few body and interior trim differences, but it has a revised cylinder head and a few other trick bits, they are 230bhp in standard form the same engine in the Audi S3 gives 262 bhp (different ecu), but it is fairly easy to remap the E30 to approx 300bhp......in terms of handling and pace, it just leaves an R32 quite a way behind!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarch
Mid 30's will get you an 02 996.....
That is the new math, isn't it? The used 996 vs the overpriced new crap.

In a moment of weakness I went and specced out a new Audi TT. Figured, what, $30k? Decently optioned, it's over $50k! Plug that number into the used 996 equation, and you get... a real TT.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 993

Bill,
If you go for the R32, make sure you are armed with knowledge of the latest VW rebates. When I bought my R32 mid Feb, there was a factory to dealer cash rebate of $2000 when financing was secured through VW. Of course, the consumer was not supposed to know about this cash but some people in the know on VW Vortex spilled the beans. I ended up paying $32k for a car with nav which is $1500 below invoice. And after I bought my R32, VW was offering an additional $1000 off for customer loyalty if you own a 2001 or newer VW which you do. That is $3000 you can take off of the invoice price if you can work a dealer. Who knows what else they are doing now as I stopped paying attention. Check VW Vortex for the latest. Yes, it's no R'list, but that forum saved me a lot of money.

BTW, I really like the R32. I bought the car for my wife and she loves the car. For her, AWD was important and you can't get that on the GTI. The VR6 motor is icing on the cake
Old 03-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Shizznik
Rennlist Member

Mine is awesome, I went with the R32 instead of the Gti because of the AWD. Front wheel drive is OK in the snow, but the R is awesome. I bought it to replace my '04 S4, and the mileage difference is from 16.7 to 23.2 is good enough, but the car is a few steps slower, but with gas approaching 4 bucks and more, it's worth the trade off. It is a bit pricey, but you do get a phenomenal engine, gearbox is second to none and it is quite unique, the only thing is people who don't know think it's a GTi.......The transmission is great, it shifts nearly seemlessly in auto mode and in sport mode has a good hard edge to it as well. When using it manually, it responds in an instant and is quite fun as well. Is it a Porsche? Not a chance in you know what, but for what it is, it's a great car and you can't go wrong.............
Old 03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Another local! My DD choice was to pick up a R32, there great cars! Honestly, I LOVE the exhaust note, it's just so nice. They drive very well.

What I didn't like
Way to front wheel drive bias
price, & insurance
exterior styling, the old one was so much nicer on the out side.

In the end, I got the 95 C4, for about the same price. Good news is the R32's hold their price very well up here! They were selling 05's for $30-36k!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
That is the new math, isn't it? The used 996 vs the overpriced new crap.

In a moment of weakness I went and specced out a new Audi TT. Figured, what, $30k? Decently optioned, it's over $50k! Plug that number into the used 996 equation, and you get... a real TT.

Absolutely. But honestly, it's always been like that for me. When I bought my 993 in 1998, the $50K I spent would have bought a lot of other lesser new sports cars.

Since you mentioned the $50K range, I feel compelled to point out that for that kind of money you can get a 996TT. IMHO, these cars are an absolute steal at that price. And they're reliable too.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM
ameirowi
AutoX

The GTI, R32, A3 family are lots of fun. I test drove an 07 A3 with DSG (several times) that is basically the same as an R32 with more doors and actually ordered one to then had the deal fall through (something about colors). I then test drove a GTI and ultimately bought a 4 door 07 gti with 6m and 0 options. At $30k+ I think the R32 or A3 cousin are just overpriced. For performance I would think an STI or EVO are much better and for comfort and style you are starting to get into A4 or base BMW 3 series money. At $20k the GTI seemed like a very fun but practical dd and with snow tires it is quite capable in the winter. While I was very impressed with the DSG technology and efficiency, I ultimately like having a 3rd pedal. 6m may be slower, but this is a fun car not a race car. Had VW/Audi USA given us a 6m 4 door GTI (or A3 with 6m and quattro) it would have been closer. I found that most enthusiasts that chose to write in on VW/Audi forums were really excited about the turbo 4 front wheel drive A3 (same as GTI) and with very cheap modding could get far more power than the NA 6cyl engine. I am very happy with the GTI. It is not as involving or pure as my Porsche which is mostly a track car, but the GTI is a very exciting practical car that does put a smile on my face.

If you don't need the extra doors (which it doesn't seem like you do), don't care much about the extra money and can live without a clutch, I think the R32 wold be a very fun car to own also.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

I had an Audi TT 3.2 w/ DSG and though initially impressed on test drive, after owning the car, I had many issues.
I actually went through the NJ lemon law as the car had numerous tranny issues. This was almost 3 yrs ago, and was the first batch of Audi's that came out with it. Wound up getting some cash and giving back to dealer. I got an '06 STI to replace it, and now have an '07 STI Ltd as a daily driver.
I miss my GTI 16V.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did purchase a white R32 from Carter VW here in Seattle. I receive $2,000 from VW by using their financing, $1,000 for being a current VW owner (my 2001 GTI), and dealer took off 90% of his margin from list to invoice. Almost $29k before taxes and license.

First impressions have been positive. Much more refined than the 2001 GTI. AWD is very noticeable in getting the power down off the line, overall traction in the wet is much better. Been raining too much to fully judge the handling. All the R32 up here in Seattle come in with all-season tires (Dunlop in my case). I have a feeling I won't like them. DSG seems great, have to get use to knowing what gear is engaged, can't just feel or see from the shift lever, and looking at dash display takes some getting use to. 6th gear is low enough to use at 60mph, would never do that in the 993. Brake feel is good. The only bad is the initial throttle tip-in is to sensitive and the steering lacks feel. I understand, since the steering is electrical-mechanical that the assist can be changed by programming the on-board computer.

Quick Reply: OT: VW R32 with DSG transmission