OT: VW R32 with DSG transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT: VW R32 with DSG transmission

I'm very close to buying a VW R32 as my daily commuter. I seeking any Rennlister's experience with the "double clutch" DSG transmission. My plan is to use 99% of the time in manual mode. It's the only transmission option for the R32.

One item that alarmed me at first was the accelerator has a switch that is activated when pressed all the way to the floor. In either D, S, or M mode this forces a downshift (in most cases, unless already in a low gear). This is normal for any automatic transmission, but not what you want for "pure" manual mode. After my 3rd test drive, I feel that I can avoid, just by not pushing the accelerator to activate the switch - you can feel a detent right before pushing to far.

For members that have a VW or Audi car with DSG, have you noticed the switch on at the end of accelerator travel and auto downshift? Is it possible to avoid and not distract from total shifting control in manual mode?

Thanks for any help or advise.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:39 AM
autosea
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Dude we are neighbors. I have a 993 as well as a GTI that has the DSG transmission. I have owned my GTI for over 1 year and cant say enough good things about that car. It plain Rocks. The 993 is so blah compared to the GTI it is sick!!! After driving the GTI and then getting in the 993 it feels clunky. The steering has no feel. creaking windshield,
After driving the GTI the transmission gears in the Porsche are so wrong. The DSG transmission is just sleeping doing its thing in normal driving and then if a gap opens up in the road and you want to have a little go at it the transmission shifts so fast and keeps the power comming on . As for the transmission downshifting in manual mode it is self defence if you try to punch it in to tall of a gear to give you a fighting chance with the Riceburner your trying to race. You post that you will be in manual mode 99% of the time. In Seattle. Dude, How can you talk on the phone and drink coffee and shift?? Oh yeah my GTI has at least four cup holders in the front . Print this out and go see Scott Taylor at Carter Volkswagen and tell him Colin sent you. He is a true Porsche guy. I think the R32 is a little like a C4 vs a C2. If you chip a GTI and add LSD it will beat the R32. Thats what the kids say. I just am in awe with my daily driver GTI while the 993 sits in the garage
Attached Images  

Last edited by autosea; 03-17-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,302 Likes on 616 Posts

my friend/mechanic/driving instructor has an r32. he loves it, loves the DSG, and he's raced gt3 cups, panoz gtlm, etc.

it snowed last week and he sent me footage of him drifting in the snow...looks a lot of fun. I really like driving it on Forza2 for xbox also. check youtube for "r32 snow drifting" ...if you live in washington, you should be able to actually use that awd/dsg to it's full potential.

oh yeah and it's got center exhaust...how could you not love that?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:21 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you qualified to own a VW R32? Can you use "dude" and "sick" in the same sentence? Will you commit to doing so at least 20x per day?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:44 AM
FSCCA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an A3 with DSG (same car, but 4 door). It is an absolute blast. The DSG is awesome (manual mode >90%). If I want to go for a drive, I prefer to the A3 over the 993 for all the reasons stated.

Several other guys I know from DE and club racing own these cars and love them.

Shame on Porsche for not offering this transmission that they originally patented in the mid '80s (PDK - Porsche Doppel Kuplung).
Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill 993
I'm very close to buying a VW R32 as my daily commuter. I seeking any Rennlister's experience with the "double clutch" DSG transmission. My plan is to use 99% of the time in manual mode. It's the only transmission option for the R32.

i too would like to hear comments on the dual clutch trannies.
We are ordering an 09 997 and are on the fence regarding Tip or PDK.
My wife will drive the car 90% of the time and 95% of that time will be in full auto mode.

I'm sure that the PDK is way cool / rad / sick ............. when being driven agressively, but is it any good in full auto mode just putting around town?
how good?
50% as good as a Tip?
80% as good?
Better?

if you own a VW or Audi dual clutch setup, how is the reliability?
have you had to do any software upgrades to correct "glitches"?
would you buy one again?
Would you keep it after the warranty period expires?

i spoke to a BMW / P car mechanic that runs a shop in San Diego and he WAS NOT impressed with the BMW version.

i think that this technology may be a tad immature at this time, but i'd like to get thoughts of actual owners.

cheers

Craig
Old 03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

EVO magazine has some very good comments on the DSG. They're one of the few reviewers who don't particularly like it. Basically they loved it in foot-on-the-floor zooming around mode, but around town or in auto mode they found it jerky and that the throttle position was poorly matched to the shift modes. Basically, hard to idle around smoothly without it lunging forward boy racer style at every stop.

I'll see if I can find and scan their commentary.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:32 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't forget to change the fluid every 40,000 miles

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...t=dsg+problems

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=dsg

John
Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 PM
Shizznik
Rennlist Member

Default r32

I own an R32......if you have any questions, just ask away......
Old 03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

What is the price point difference between a GTI and R32?
Ron
Old 03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 873 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Shizznik
I own an R32......if you have any questions, just ask away......
uh...................
i asked about 12 questions just a few posts above

a little help?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:19 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 95FL993CAB
What is the price point difference between a GTI and R32?
Ron
Approximately $8000-$10000 dollars depending on options.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

email me at cwalrod@swiftengineering.com for more information about the 2.0 FSI engine and DSG gearbox.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RallyJon
EVO magazine has some very good comments on the DSG. They're one of the few reviewers who don't particularly like it. Basically they loved it in foot-on-the-floor zooming around mode, but around town or in auto mode they found it jerky and that the throttle position was poorly matched to the shift modes. Basically, hard to idle around smoothly without it lunging forward boy racer style at every stop.

I'll see if I can find and scan their commentary.
+1 for the above!

My good friend had an A3 with DSG. It was fun, but at normal driving it is exactly as described in RallyJon's post. Throttle seemed all over the place. Full throttle and messing around in it was fun, just not driving how you would in a daily driver.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Black993
+1 for the above!

My good friend had an A3 with DSG. It was fun, but at normal driving it is exactly as described in RallyJon's post. Throttle seemed all over the place. Full throttle and messing around in it was fun, just not driving how you would in a daily driver.
test drove both the GTI ( 6 speed) and the A3 before I got my new daily driver. The DSG did not blow me away.Nice auto tranny at least on the A3 quattro with the 3.2L engine I drove.
As for the GTI, nice car, but how the heck is being compared to the 993?
"Autosea" comments about the steering, really the GTI has a better steering feel than the 993? I found the GTI steering very light, almost disconnected compared to my 911's. Its your typical new car steering feel, over assisted and light. The steering on a 911 is precise and you can read the road. With the advantage of the engine in the rear the front end really is free of that weight and communicates perfectly. That for me is one of the attractions driving a 911 instead of another sports car.
My mechanic told me one time: If you learn how to drive a 911 fast, nothing else compares. It took me several DE's and some club racing, plus a few years of driving it to say that I now know how to drive a 911 reasonably fast. Even at this stage, my wise mechanic is absolutely right. Like Porsche says: there is no substitute.
Finally comparing the GTI with the A3, I found the A3 to be better built, a bit more refined and a bit better than the GTI is terms of dynamic, better steering feel and more of a solid feel. Maybe the demo GTI I tried was a bit tired, but it only had about 1500KM on it. I guess having been a great fan of the old GTI back in the 80's I had higher expectations for the new GTI. Note here that I did not test drive the R32. That may change my whole argument

Quick Reply: OT: VW R32 with DSG transmission