Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MYTH DISPELLED - you CAN turn drilled rotors!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default MYTH DISPELLED - you CAN turn drilled rotors!

I just got my truck brembo cross drilled rotors turned at a local tire shop! The tech told me that if you go slow and not take off too much material each pass it is no problem.

I know there are alot of people on the internet claiming it cant be done. Some shops will tell you that it cant be done. They are wrong! Just make sure that the rotor is thicker than minimum thickness. Some manufacturers recommend not exceeding 120% the minimum thickness for greater rotor life.

I also learned that Porsche is one of the few applications where the cross drilliing spirals out on the front wheels. My brembos and most other manufactures design rotor drilling that spiral in. Always follow manufacturer guidelines on which orientation is proper when installing new rotors.

With all this said, Ive never had good lifetime out of a rotor thats been turned, so I expect that Ill be buying new ones in the next 18-24 months, but it beats dropping $250 right now...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Speaking only for myself, I've always known it CAN be done, but I do question the wisdom of doing it in the first place.

Removing mass from these relatively small rotors runs counterintuitive to me and I've never enjoyed any success by doing so despite what might appear to be a good idea.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

TJ thats great news man, but i cant find anyone willing to do it. Ill keep searching.

JERRY
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Speaking only for myself, I've always known it CAN be done, but I do question the wisdom of doing it in the first place.

Removing mass from these relatively small rotors runs counterintuitive to me and I've never enjoyed any success by doing so despite what might appear to be a good idea.
^ + 1.
Just buy new rotors.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

While yes its physically possible to turn them, I guess it depends on what you are correcting. Small slight grooves when the rotor is otherwise full thickness, I guess you would be ok. But the issue I always understood was you cannot have square edges to the hole, they have to be chamfer. By turning the rotor you are cutting off the chamfer, so you would then have to go back and re-chamfer the front and back of each hole, otherwise you are inviting stress cracks.

Just my 2 cents (maybe less)
Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Steve but if you must clean up your rotors I would grind them instead of turning. A horizontal rotary like a flywheel grinder or its industrial cousin Blanchard grinding have several advantages. It does not care that there are holes, and it can get just under the "skin" clean up the ridges with minimal material removal. You will also get that nice unidirectional grind pattern, just like new factory rotors.

I have never found a brake lathe to offers as true a surface or can keep as tight a control on run out. Traditionally they also need to take a bigger cut to get under the surface skin and will "wipe" some material into the holes. In practice an interuped cut will never produce as good of a surface as a continuos cut.

Engine machine shops that can grind flywheels can do the rotors but got to wonder at shop rates these days if it is really value added compared to just dropping the old rotor in the scrap pile and getting a fresh one that’s perfectly balanced and has no cracks starting out from the vent holes.

Side note. My new 993tt Zimmerman rotors now have chamfered cross-holes where previous sets did not. Since they get replaced often I never bothered to chamfer the holes on the new ones. It helps reduce the time it takes for the cracking to start but does not eliminate it. Maybe they were getting to many complaints on premature cracking.
Rick
Old 03-13-2008, 12:05 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting notes on the chamfers. I just measured my truck rotors after turning and found that the chamfers are still there even when the rotors are close to theri minimum thickness (0.010" over min). Brembo made the rotors to have the chamfers all the way through minimum.

I agree that turning rotors is only temporary fix - typically lasting a year or so on other vehicles - but at $12/rotor for 12 months of use beats the heck out of $125 for the cost of a new one!

Honestly, I dont think Ill go drilled on my truck again. These "made in mexico" brembo rotors have been a big disappointment - lasting no longer than the cheap vatozone chinese rotors. However, my brembo rotors (OE?) on the 993 keep kicking butt.... What gives? Probably better weight balance and brake bias in the p-car!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Essexmetal
I agree with Steve but if you must clean up your rotors I would grind them instead of turning. A horizontal rotary like a flywheel grinder or its industrial cousin Blanchard grinding have several advantages. It does not care that there are holes, and it can get just under the "skin" clean up the ridges with minimal material removal. You will also get that nice unidirectional grind pattern, just like new factory rotors..........

Rick
+1 ..... Grinding produces a superior result, and can be worth a few $$ if the rotors are in othewise good condition.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of shops do it over here with special jigs and it can buy you a few more miles. :-)

Cheers,

David
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
Interesting notes on the chamfers. I just measured my truck rotors after turning and found that the chamfers are still there even when the rotors are close to theri minimum thickness (0.010" over min). Brembo made the rotors to have the chamfers all the way through minimum.

I agree that turning rotors is only temporary fix - typically lasting a year or so on other vehicles - but at $12/rotor for 12 months of use beats the heck out of $125 for the cost of a new one!

Honestly, I dont think Ill go drilled on my truck again. These "made in mexico" brembo rotors have been a big disappointment - lasting no longer than the cheap vatozone chinese rotors. However, my brembo rotors (OE?) on the 993 keep kicking butt.... What gives? Probably better weight balance and brake bias in the p-car!
I read on another thread that 993 OEM rotors aren't drilled. the holes are cast into the rotor...

Quick Reply: MYTH DISPELLED - you CAN turn drilled rotors!