Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by smartass
Thanks Steve,

The general questions always get innovative answers here

Let's assume budget is 7000$, what can be done? Car has 95000km on meter.

/Ulf S
You are quite welcome.

Indeed, all of replies here runs the gamut and are always both entertaining and informative,... Thats why I love this place.

As you might well imagine, $7K doesn't go far for any serious engine modifications so one focuses elsewhere to deliver the "mission" of improving acceleration (which is what you are asking for). Certainly, one can install custom software, RS cams, and some mufflers for a nice bump in performance but thats far from a 50 HP improvement although those are all worthwhile upgrades, IMHO.

I think Bill V. said it best; close-ratio gears. That makes the biggest improvement and I wholeheartedly agree with him on that. I've always felt that a proper set of gears (2nd thru 6th) made the same difference in acceleration as adding 50HP to the engine and to date, I've not experienced an exception to that. There are several ways to do this including moving your 5th to 6th that saves $$.

IMHO, thats the best monies spent to hit your objective and this maintains OEM-type engine longevity; something that cannot be said for a 345HP 3.6. I would also include the RS LWF kit to the package as that really improves throttle response and eliminates the often-troublesome dual-mass flywheel.

Hope this helps,
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's time for a new thread on the LWF since we have enough new members to warrant it perhaps. I'd like to consider it for my 1995 993 but I get scared-off with the stalling horror stories which to me are a huge detractor from being a good DD. Realizing that 'DD' means something different to everybody. Not sure if the trade off is worth it if the dang thing wants to quit when you come rolling in all hot and heavy to a little-ole' stop light. Thoughts on new thread???

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
You are quite welcome.

Indeed, all of replies here runs the gamut and are always both entertaining and informative,... Thats why I love this place.

As you might well imagine, $7K doesn't go far for any serious engine modifications so one focuses elsewhere to deliver the "mission" of improving acceleration (which is what you are asking for). Certainly, one can install custom software, RS cams, and some mufflers for a nice bump in performance but thats far from a 50 HP improvement although those are all worthwhile upgrades, IMHO.

I think Bill V. said it best; close-ratio gears. That makes the biggest improvement and I wholeheartedly agree with him on that. I've always felt that a proper set of gears (2nd thru 6th) made the same difference in acceleration as adding 50HP to the engine and to date, I've not experienced an exception to that. There are several ways to do this including moving your 5th to 6th that saves $$.

IMHO, thats the best monies spent to hit your objective and this maintains OEM-type engine longevity; something that cannot be said for a 345HP 3.6. I would also include the RS LWF kit to the package as that really improves throttle response and eliminates the often-troublesome dual-mass flywheel.

Hope this helps,
Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Marlon,

Speaking only for myself, I was simply trying to directly address Ulf's legitimate questions about how make more power and presumably, shorten his acceleration times.

Your suggestion is a good one; there is a lot of good input here (and other sources) about the feaslibity & behavior of the LWF in various cars. There is a LOT more information about this upgrade out there, but you should know that some of it lacks sufficient context to be useful for making such decisions.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 03-07-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '98 C2S may or may not be a good example of adding 50HP.
I would say quite expensive.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:54 PM
smartass
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
You are quite welcome.

Hope this helps,
Thanks again Steve,

Do you have a more detailed recommendation for re-gearing of a ROW gearbox?
And one more Q; Which is the best cat/muffler combination for considering both power and decreased weight?

//Ulf S
993 C2S -97 (H&R Clubsport susp., mod mufflers, motorsound intake, 18" hollowspoke, no rearwiper, no sunroof) - Current sports car
Audi A4 Avant Quattro S-Line Sports -08 - The family car
Audi A2 1.2 TDi - 03 - 2:nd family car, 3l/100km fuel cons, a fantastic car
--------------------------
993 C2 -97 - Gone
964 C2 Cab -90 - Gone
930 Turbo -88 - Gone

Quick Reply: Best way for adding 50HP and good midrange torque