Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Mark in theory one could strip the front half of the engine to get to the camshafts to do the job. The Chain housing covers need to come off, along with the valve covers. In the end it's alot easier to drop the entire engine/trans. When on the ground one could replace plug wires and address any issues with your power steering pump (belts or seals).
Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Steve,

I believe I've asked you this before but can you adjust the cam timing with the engine in the car?

Thanks!
Hi Mark,

Its possible, but I'd strongly recommend that the engine be removed to do a proper job on this.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks, Kevin and SW. That's what I figured.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi,

There are many reasons why two such similar cars can perform differently.

Although the Varioram intake system is worth around 15-20 lbs-ft from 2000 to 5000 RPM, there is very little difference in torque and HP above that range. We've dyno'ed several such combinations, some 3.6's and some 3.8's, where we swapped intake systems and made power runs. Peak HP with almost identical in these situations.

While a Varioram conversion is not terribly difficult, I would kindly suggest that you do some additional diagnostics to make sure that everything is working to specification before any money is spent on additional hardware. We usually check cam timing (this is very important), perform leakdown tests (!), check air/fuel ratios, and check backpressure on both cats.
The 95 runs strong, & sings in the upper RPM's. But it's my DD, & my 97 just feels smoother & stronger in the lower RPM's. I got to give the 95 more pedal to get the same acceleration.

It's 15-20 ft-lbs is that @ the wheels? Also the 97 has just about 40kmi, & the 95 has 76kmi, that might have something to due with it. Also the 97 just had a "tune up" done & the 95 is due for it @ 90kmi.

Originally Posted by guards red
Hi,

I have done this conversion here in the UK where there seems to be less techinical support for this sort of thing. So if i can do it, so can you.

How easy or how hard will depend upon what you get with the manifold. For instance the airbox other than the lid is different, the pipework for the breather system is different and it will depend whether yours is a C4 or a C2 and which car the manifold is from. All the heater pipe work is different too.

Wiring wise it;s pretty easy, I can help you with that, but where it might get costly is the ECU. I was told that buying the right chip will run the Varioram system but the three chips (one after the other) supplied by the US vendor did not work. My car does not have drive block but it would not start with the chips supplied. I had to get a varioram ECU for big bucks being desperate and unwilling to go back to non varioram. In hindsight I think if you have some one trustworthy who can live program your ECU, they should be able to add a channel to run the system.

One of the best things to recommend at this early stage is get yourself a copy of the Porsche PET. This will allow you to compare parts and numbers to see if there is a differnce before you take anything off. Some also so you can run the system using the standard pre varioram vacuum resevoir but I fitted the larger post varioram one as its not expensive and because Porsche fitted it for a reason.
This is what I needed to know, so it's ECU controlled & not vacuum controlled. I don't want to bother with fitting a new ECU. I can get the manifold cheap, & was hoping to keep it around $500 for the parts.

It's not worth it to me to swap out all the other parts. It's a C4 & the intake is coming from a C2, with basically just the whole intake.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:50 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well Stealth, it's a littel of both. The actuators are worked by vacuum stored in a resevoir, but the vacuum is channeled by solenoids controlled by the ecu using a dedicated channel. The RS has three of these solenoids but the got away with using just two on the standard varioram.You basically need to add two wires to the ecu loom from under the seat to the electrical distribution box on the left hand side of the engine bay, next to the fan motor. The rest of the wiring is already there if you've had the engine loom wiring recall done.

It'd be easier to advise you if you have access to the manifold and can take pictures of what it comes with. For instance are the solenoids still on it? The are attached to the bottom of the intakes pipes right where these mate to the rubber unions at the heads. It's certainly doable, the biggest obstacle being the ECU. Most intakes available arise through owners converting their cars to supercharging. Most of the stuff on the manifold usually come off with it as the supercharger does not use it, the only major part is the ecu. The rest of it is rubber piping etc.

If you decide to pursue this idea let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

GR
Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by guards red

It'd be easier to advise you if you have access to the manifold and can take pictures of what it comes with. For instance are the solenoids still on it? The are attached to the bottom of the intakes pipes right where these mate to the rubber unions at the heads. It's certainly doable, the biggest obstacle being the ECU. Most intakes available arise through owners converting their cars to supercharging. Most of the stuff on the manifold usually come off with it as the supercharger does not use it, the only major part is the ecu. The rest of it is rubber piping etc.

If you decide to pursue this idea let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

GR

It has the whole intake, with the TB & boot installed, no vacuum lines, or canister.

After finding out what needs to be done, I might pass. The ECU is really the deal breaker.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:27 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Mark,

Its possible, but I'd strongly recommend that the engine be removed to do a proper job on this.
As I was reading down, I thought to answer.......but you beat me to it! Lots of things sure are POSSIBLE on 911's. Especially when you're at the track and the sun is going down.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:00 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked the health of the 95's engine? Maybe it's just a little down on compression? Maybe the fuel mixture is a tad lean? A '95 with a chip should not feel appreciably slower than a '97.

Is there excess weight in it? Do you have big/heavy wheels on?
Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I have made the conversion on my 1995 race car. If it was a street car I would certainly keep the varioram on. As it is I'm going to be pulling it out to take the weight advantage of a 95 over a 96+ as per PCA regulations. It has produced a considerable about of midrange torque. I'm blessed to have a direct comparison with my other 95 and it is really night and day. Peak HP I'm not sure it has produced anything, cant tell really and I have not dynoed the car before and after. If you are interested I'm going to be putting the Vram and the modifed 95 ECU for sale so send me a PM and I will give you more details.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:20 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DJF1
I have made the conversion on my 1995 race car. If it was a street car I would certainly keep the varioram on. As it is I'm going to be pulling it out to take the weight advantage of a 95 over a 96+ as per PCA regulations. It has produced a considerable about of midrange torque. I'm blessed to have a direct comparison with my other 95 and it is really night and day. Peak HP I'm not sure it has produced anything, cant tell really and I have not dynoed the car before and after. If you are interested I'm going to be putting the Vram and the modifed 95 ECU for sale so send me a PM and I will give you more details.
What ballpark are you in for the parts? $500, $1000, $1500? Cuz, I'm kind of in the $500 ballpark.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Have you checked the health of the 95's engine? Maybe it's just a little down on compression? Maybe the fuel mixture is a tad lean? A '95 with a chip should not feel appreciably slower than a '97.

Is there excess weight in it? Do you have big/heavy wheels on?
The car is 100% stock, except the chip.

Compression & leak-down are fine. But haven't checked the A/F.

The car is fast, & really has power towards redline. It's the 3-5000RPM range that it sucks. This is where it spends most of it's time.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
deleonl1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
Who modified your 95 ECU to work with the varioram?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:50 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Forget about the small tinkering.... Go Big time and get the TPC Supercharger for 120+ hp over a very wide rpm range!!!!!!
Just my $.02 but I LOVE mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:21 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by deleonl1
Who modified your 95 ECU to work with the varioram?
Mike Callas, Rennsport Sealy TX.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to add Varioram to a 95?