Sometimes Porsche makes me very angry

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leander
I paid over $250 for one of those about a year ago. The good thing is that the replacement is a different. stronger. design.
Thats another part of what irks me about this, the original part was poor design. I feel like I am overpaying to be their R&D.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:23 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

My wifes 4-Runner got a hole in the headlight lense from a rock, new lense from Toyota - $160. Just replaced both lens on my 993 for $120. Seems like no ryhme or reason sometimes.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

LOL! Well that is what you get for getting a rare model car! If this part was on every 993 then it would be like $85-100, but since it's a Targa only part it's a ton more!

But at least you have a Targa! I really wanted one.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
Sunset didn't know anything about it, and my dealer didn't either so I had to buy locally so I could return it.
FYI, sunset allows returns with a receipt. i ordered the wrong parts once and they took them back no questions asked; they were special order, too. that place is great.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by insite
FYI, sunset allows returns with a receipt. i ordered the wrong parts once and they took them back no questions asked; they were special order, too. that place is great.
Cool, I did not know that. I usually order from them anyway, that fact will make everything I order go through them.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prshguy
My wifes 4-Runner got a hole in the headlight lense from a rock, new lense from Toyota - $160. Just replaced both lens on my 993 for $120. Seems like no ryhme or reason sometimes.
prshguy,

Wow, I thought headlight lenses were much more than that. I may have to replace mine, at that price.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:04 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The first time I saw a 993 targa, I said that the mechanical roof will be an expensive future item to repair which is exactly why I bought a coupe.........good to know I was right......................ZP44
Old 02-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
The first time I saw a 993 targa, I said that the mechanical roof will be an expensive future item to repair which is exactly why I bought a coupe.........good to know I was right......................ZP44

The first time I saw a 993 targa, I said that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen which is exactly why I bought one.......good to know I was right...............
Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by Deanriffs
prshguy,

Wow, I thought headlight lenses were much more than that. I may have to replace mine, at that price.
Best price I've seen is here:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...2796@Headlight

Also got rotors for my daughter's 944 from them, free shipping too.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Angry? Imagine being one of the people that bought a Porsche - Mooney (Single engine aircraft) Developed in the mid 80's in an effort to modernize the archaic engine design of General Aviation. It should have been a great success and a shame it did not continue. Production stopped in 1988 and Porsche maintained they would support the fleet.

Mooney gavve notice in 1999 that it would cease all parts and support in 2005. Porsche has since destroyed all remaining parts and will not release any tech information to facilitate parts re-manufacture. They will eventually ground all planes by one means or another.

They deny there is any problem and calls to their HQ are told "We are a big company so sue us".

The claim to be dedicated to their customers but they have deserted the owners of the Porsche Mooney.

It is no surprise that last year Porsche profits were approx $9 billion and CEO Wendelen "Mr Wonderful" Wiedeking was awarded a $100 million salary.

While this regrettable situation affects few aircraft owners it should be of concern to all Porsche customers and consumers in general as it is a wake up call about how vulnerable we all are to companies that don't homor their committments to their customers.

Which model is next?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 429 Posts

Porsche's formula for coming up with prices for simple parts like that is quite simple... They bring the part to a machinist and get a quote for how much it would cost to make a "one off" and they charge you the same price for it even though it would cost them 10% of the sale price to produce. Whatever the market will support is what they'll charge.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:41 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fwiw, doesn’t have anything to do with Targa top parts failure. But, had the right front air strut on my '05 LS430 fail a few days ago, cost to replace $1500. The good part, with one email the GM at the dealer stepped up and took care of the cost completely. Needless to say, signed up for the extended warranty immediately. I can't even imagine what some of the electronics on this car would cost to replace.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced a small sunroof transmission. New, $466. I freaked!
Picked one up used from a dismantler in Hayward, CA...Parts Heaven, for $150.

Is there a list or thread of all the dismantler/used parts sources?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Porsche PFM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fb47243
Angry? Imagine being one of the people that bought a Porsche - Mooney (Single engine aircraft) Developed in the mid 80's in an effort to modernize the archaic engine design of General Aviation. It should have been a great success and a shame it did not continue. Production stopped in 1988 and Porsche maintained they would support the fleet.

Mooney gavve notice in 1999 that it would cease all parts and support in 2005. Porsche has since destroyed all remaining parts and will not release any tech information to facilitate parts re-manufacture. They will eventually ground all planes by one means or another.

They deny there is any problem and calls to their HQ are told "We are a big company so sue us".

The claim to be dedicated to their customers but they have deserted the owners of the Porsche Mooney.

It is no surprise that last year Porsche profits were approx $9 billion and CEO Wendelen "Mr Wonderful" Wiedeking was awarded a $100 million salary.

While this regrettable situation affects few aircraft owners it should be of concern to all Porsche customers and consumers in general as it is a wake up call about how vulnerable we all are to companies that don't homor their committments to their customers.

Which model is next?

I noticed this post regarding the Porsche Mooney. Being one of those owners it is truly a disastrous situation. Porsche has tried to squeeze all the owners and get the planes out of the air. Parts are no longer available and what was left was destroyed. One spark plug cost $245 (x12) when parts were for sale. I am not surprised that car owners are being exploited with parts. If you are not profitable Porsche will dump you just like they have deserted the plane owners.

There is $100 million dollar law suite going against Porsche in Florida regarding this plane engine. Not good for the Porsche reputation. "We care about our customers...... "

Quick Reply: Sometimes Porsche makes me very angry