993 Forum 1995-1998

Where does this vacuum line go?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Gerry Kluck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where does this vacuum line go?

Last summer while repairing my collapsed vacuum splitter (993 110 573 00) I noticed that one of the vacuum lines was conspicously disconnected from the splitter. (yellow arrows)

So, naturally after completing the splitter repair I hooked up the line and headed out for what I anticipated was going to be a spirited drive. As I pushed the clutch in and rolled to a stop at the end of the driveway the car coughed & stalled. Re-started - headed down the road to the stop light - same thing.

Needless to say, when I pulled over, hopped out and disconnected the line, the problem went away. Car runs beautifully.

I'm pretty sure that this line is supposed to go into the splitter - Question is - where does it come from and what might be causing the above mentioned behavior?
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

This vaccum line goes (in fact comes) from the vaccum reservoir.
This is the line that connects the vacum reservoir to the vaccum web on the engine.
the vaccum reservoir is under the rear driver window, the bubbly thing in the picture inside the wheelwell
in front of the yellow caliper.
Your vaccum system is Definitely not working. I would check the system for leaks after replugging the reservoir.
Some time is needed for the ECU to adjust after your vaccum system is operative again, but there could be another
reason for the stall
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey geo - what year is your car? I read somewhwere that the vacum reservoir design and location might have changed between 1995 and later 993's???

mar

Originally Posted by geolab
This vaccum line goes (in fact comes) from the vaccum reservoir.
This is the line that connects the vacum reservoir to the vaccum web on the engine.
the vaccum reservoir is under the rear driver window, the bubbly thing in the picture inside the wheelwell
in front of the yellow caliper.
Your vaccum system is Definitely not working. I would check the system for leaks after replugging the reservoir.
Some time is needed for the ECU to adjust after your vaccum system is operative again, but there could be another
reason for the stall
Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Hello Mar,
94 - 95 M64-0X is a small tank looks like an accumulator
96- M64-2X is the reservoir in the picture
My car was born on june 20th 1997.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a vacuum reservoir? Damn, I am going to have to find a better place to store my tennis ***** then : /
Old 02-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geo - thx!

Originally Posted by geolab
Hello Mar,
94 - 95 M64-0X is a small tank looks like an accumulator
96- M64-2X is the reservoir in the picture
My car was born on june 20th 1997.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There should be a hard plastic line coming from the left side of the car that plugs into this. You also have a perfect example for needing a new rubber vacuum connector. Notice how in the center it is collapsed. This can stop your Varioram from working even if it was connected. Part number 993 110 573 00

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Gerry Kluck
Intermediate

Thanks geo - just the sort of clarification I was hoping for. Interesting enough, plugged it back in and no stall this time around for a few days now!

Appreciate the response viperbob - sorry, posted an old picture - pre-repair. done.

Now off to to the other thread to make sure that the varioram is kicking in and there are no other leaks.

??? - It's got me thinking though...searching, and reading through Adrian's book. I can't seem to find many answers or good explanations of how the vacuum system actually works? Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Where does this vacuum line go?