Sponsored by:

Care of "Special Grained Leather" for C2S

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:45 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
If you don't have extended leather, everything is vinyl. .
Not in the C2S. Even if the upper dash is vinyl, the strip in the mid dash and on the door panels that we are referring to here is definitely not vinyl and is some sort of natural skin (maybe pig, as others have said).

In a thread from sometime back, someone quoted the 1997 Press Release announcing the C2S as follows:

"Among the Carrera S's unique identifying standard features are a split rear spoiler grill, 'Cup Design' 17-inch alloy wheels.., steel grey door sill panels, instrument rings, shift lever ****, hand brake lever and push ****, textured black leather dashboard center and door panels, and Carrera S inscription on the rear deck lid."

I said it looked like "snake skin", but as others have said, it does more closely resemble the embossed leather of a football or basketball.

Last edited by rome; 02-14-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM
tom97c4s
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We should get a group buy on Leatherique. It sounds like good stuff but kinda pricey. I went to there web and was about to order some and saw the box with promo & coupon code. Its made me think that I was missing a special price.

Has anyone tried a group buy with them?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
titleist1
Racer

It is just vinyl.
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
The 1997 and 1998 C2S came standard with "Special Grained Leather" on parts of the dash and door panels. It has sort of a "snake skin" type look and is really nice.

I'm wondering if anyone (perhaps one of our detailer types) has been able to restore these leather bits to their original richness.
I agree it is nice and adds further uniqueness to the C2S. I use frequent applications of Soffener from Colorplus on these leather strips and find it works quite well (it does wonders to the normal-type leather). It requires wiping it down a few times afterwards with a damp cotton or microfiber cloth. Rather than being dull and grayish they maintain a deeper blackish color; however not shiny - that leather is not supposed to be; it's always a bit "paper-like" in feel.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:12 AM
mkimber
Advanced

Another vote for Leatherique. I use it all of my cars to keep the leather in tip top shape. I even redyed the interior of my M3 (now sold) a couple of years ago.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:32 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The best stuff I've used is called "Soffener" from ColorPlus, the folks John Paterek (PCA's restoration guru) has recommended for years.

You basically brush it on, leave it for 24 hours and keep applying it until the leather quits absorbing it, then buff it off. You can take an old dried out piece of leather, put this stuff on it and it will soften right up eventually.

http://www.colorplus.com/
Old 02-15-2008, 09:47 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a link to an article

http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/sho...r_model_id=154

And an exerpt from the website:

911 Carrera S Overview

1997 -1998 911 Carrera S

Model OverviewMore equipment as standard. The 1997/8 911 Carrera S offers a higher equipment level both inside and out. Nothing has been overlooked. The suspension has been lowered by 10 mm at the front and 20 mm at the back. The nose section, side panels, and wide rear body are those of the Carrera 4S, giving the car Turbo looks. Its spoiler grating is split down the middle and painted the same color as the car. The 911 Carrera S has 17-inch wheels and the Porsche crest in colour on the wheel centres. The car is available with a 6-speed gearbox or Tiptronic S.

The model designation "Carrera S" appears on the engine compartment lid and on the tachometer. The door panels and sunvisors are covered in textured black leather. The parking brake lever has a new cover, painted steel grey. The same color is used for the button on the parking brake, the door entry guards, instrument rims, and the new, ball-shaped gear ****. On request, the 911 Carrera S is available in a special color called "Vesuvius Metallic". The model designation on the rear of the car, wheel centers, outside mirrors, door handles and spoiler grating are all painted steel grey. The above specification is available as standard. The only additional charge is for Tiptronic S.

I just got a crate of Zaino products included in the order is a bottle of their leather conditioner, continuing the regemine started by the previous owner. I tried the stuff on my hardback sport seats which are like the rest of the interior matte in finish, when first applied has a wet appearance, and once absorbed returns to it original clean matte appearance. I looked at the door and dash panels briefly but couldn't see any of the back side to see if there wasn't the suede side of an animal hide.
The leather seating section of the stock power seats are pretty easily distinguished from the vinyl side panels.
I used to use Leatherique and Hide Food before after a bad experience with Lexol on a leather couch.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting aside ... was looking through an Esquire magazine from the early 40s, and Lexol was advertised. That stuff's been around forever.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM
titleist1
Racer

Found good pic of "Special Leather Strip"
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2008, 07:23 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stealth 993 - awesome job on the leather. 75K miles and it looks almost new! I'm impressed.

-NEK
Old 02-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by NEK
Stealth 993 - awesome job on the leather. 75K miles and it looks almost new! I'm impressed.

-NEK
Thanks, but I really can't take much credit from it. I picked up the car 3 weeks ago, & other then being really dry, it was kept clean.

It really POPS more that it's been feed.

Quick Reply: Care of "Special Grained Leather" for C2S