Sponsored by:

London going mad!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 06:01 AM
shamrock
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slightly ...
Here in Ireland , from July 1st any newly registered car that emits over 225gms/km will be taxed at an annual rate of E2000 , and be subject to a one off registration fee of 36% the value of the car (it's 30% at the moment ). This applies to any imported car , new or second hand.

The greens have become snakes in the grass.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with CabiOsz and therefore wouldn't bring the 993 to london. In addition to the proposed costs, you'll also have re-registration issues (i.e. can only keep a foreign registered car in the UK for 6 months) which will be costly (you'll have to pay 17.5% tax on the value of the car) and annual MOT requirements. Simply not worth it.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

AVoyvoda - I will register the car as a UK vehicle with a UK plate.

Import duty and VAT should both be waived, as I've owned the car for more than 6 months in another country.

My only charges should be the cost of a MOT + plates, and having the headlights re-pointed.

I've already had euro-style front indicators, amber tail lights and fog lights fitted, so it should pass the MOT (UK DMV equivalent) straight off the bat.

Sounds as though the tax is only Mon-Fri, and I will rarely drive the car during the week, so can put up with the admittedly horrid tax.

Believe it or not, I can have the car shipped to the UK for only 800 dollars, with a reputable shipper.

If I had to pay the VAT/Import duty, agreed it would be a waste.

Phil
Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Originally Posted by Leander
So you never get your car up to temp. then? Risking the dreaded CEL.
I only drive the 993 to work once or twice a week, the rest of the time I take the allroad. I just can't resist driving the pcar whenever I can. And of course I do other driving, but the point is about commutes.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you guys will do your 'french revolution' before we do ours

[QUOTE=GabiOsz;5097589]I read this today, it's more than annoying to say the least.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

That's just bloody sick if you ask me. Ridicioulous, and there's nothing anyone can do.
The sad thing is they will follow here eventually. As of January 1st this year the Govt passed new emmission laws that say you can't import a car to NZ unless it is 2000 or newer, or 1988 or older. Anything in between is a no no.
Awesome for 993 prices though, they should hold or even go up.
The worlds truly poked.

Last edited by 993MAN; 02-13-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: error
Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ppashley
AVoyvoda - I will register the car as a UK vehicle with a UK plate.

Import duty and VAT should both be waived, as I've owned the car for more than 6 months in another country.

My only charges should be the cost of a MOT + plates, and having the headlights re-pointed.

I've already had euro-style front indicators, amber tail lights and fog lights fitted, so it should pass the MOT (UK DMV equivalent) straight off the bat.

Sounds as though the tax is only Mon-Fri, and I will rarely drive the car during the week, so can put up with the admittedly horrid tax.

Believe it or not, I can have the car shipped to the UK for only 800 dollars, with a reputable shipper.

If I had to pay the VAT/Import duty, agreed it would be a waste.

Phil
Why don't you just leave it on Yankie plates? Having to remove the car every 6 months is a pretty good excuse to explore the surrounding countries - France, Ireland, Holland, Belgium, Sweden - all are less than 4 hours away...

Let's think about this: no cameras, no CC, no parking tickets... why do you think there are so many foreign-plated cars in London now (hell, I think my next car'll be coming from Monaco)....
Old 02-14-2008, 04:35 AM
clipstone
Instructor

This country has gone green insane, especially with that communist ***** Livingstone running London as his personal fiefdom.

Will be coming soon enough to my daily commute in Manchester also - I'm seriously tempted to give up work, have 9 kids with different mothers, and live off benefit ... I'd probably be no worse off

Don't suppose any of our US friends have any green cards for sale
Old 02-14-2008, 05:45 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by clipstone
This country has gone green insane, especially with that communist ***** Livingstone running London as his personal fiefdom.
I personally have no problem with anywhere 'going green' - it's possible to do the right thing for the wrong reasons, and I'd love to stop global warming, breath in perfectly clean air in the middle of the city, and to have a fully green world.

HOWEVER, I have SERIOUS problems when the green arguments are twisted and spun and abused to push through dubious legislation and taxation using false arguments and rhetoric.

The amount of CO2 coming from private cars is minimal in the case of the UK - it's just another one of Ken's personal pet-causes against freedom of choice.

And that's before you look at the big picture - like stopping a few thousand cars is going to make ANY difference when you've got China, India, Brazil etc making no effort to curb emissions. There's "leading by example" and there's farting against a hurricane.

No - I live between Tel-Aviv and London, and whilst I love London with all my heart and soul, I hardly recognise it in the past decade. The capital of a country that used to pride itself on fair-play, rule by consensus and accountability of government has turned into a despot's playground. I'm not JUST talking about Ken.

The effects on personal liberties, choice, freedom, and above-all quality of life of this last Labour government has been a tragedy for a once-great city.
Hell, and I voted for them. Twice! I honestly don't recognise London any more....

Old 02-14-2008, 07:41 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

This is democracy in practice, Londoners voted him in whether by voting or by voter apathy. I think the voter turnout was woeful for the last two elections, let’s see what happens this May. Hopefully this sort of thing may encourage a better turn out and we can stand a chance of getting shot of this car hating tyrant, unless someone actually shoots him first!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Quick question Gab, and anyone else: is anyone considering selling their Porkers in light of this change?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

urban_alchemist, keeping on the US plates is something I hadn't considered - and I like the idea - but I think I'd come unstuck coming to insure it.

No US DMV inspection, so no US based insurance, no UK MOT, so no UK insurance.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
Quick question Gab, and anyone else: is anyone considering selling their Porkers in light of this change?
I'm certainly not, some might. If push comes to shove I'll either buy a second car or a motorbike for commuting.

It hasn't come to pass yet, there may be another mayoral candidate elected in May. Car companies may lobby againt it, remember a Mercedes 280 registered after 2001 falls into Band G. It's not just 4x4s and cars with 10 litre engines, etc. It's Red Ken's communist stealth wealth TAX. I can't see this one going down quite that easily.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

This why I left London in the first place! I don't recognise it anymore - and don't get me started on the chaos that is now Heathrow!! I won't be landing or taking off there again if I can help it!

As a gesture to those landlocked in London I can offer a ray of light: buy my 5 bedroomed, office & media room & swimming pool and oversized double heated garage (painted in Gulf racing colours) house in Herts! Its a 40 minute train ride to Liv St. Screw Ken!

Rennlist discount applies...
Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Thought this may happen ....

Porsche in court fight against £25 charge

Quick Reply: London going mad!