Sponsored by:

London going mad!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry London going mad!

I read this today, it's more than annoying to say the least.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...rge/article.do

This applies to:

The introduction of a higher charge (£25) for cars and certain pickups with two rows of seats that produce high levels of CO2.Vehicles liable for this charge are:
Cars first registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) on or after 1 March 2001 that produce above 225g/km of CO2
Cars first registered with the DVLA before 1 March 2001 with engines greater than 3,000cc
Pickups with two rows of seats (extended-cab dual-purpose pickups) with CO2 emissions of greater than 225g/km or with engines greater than 3,000cc in size
Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eco-politicians in Europe are out of control. Why don't they just put us in chains and tell us what to do. Seems like that is what they want.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:44 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

It makes my f******g blood boil!

Picked this form another discussion on the subject:
"As the Mayor has pointed out, only 8% of cars registered in London will be affected, but only 10% of the CO2 emissions in London according to Transport for London are created by private cars. So even if all those car owners instantly stopped using them, the benefit might be only 1%. In practice, a third might stop driving into London, a third might pay the charge, and a third might switch to a lower emissions vehicle - in the last case they are very unlikely to save more than 50% of emissions as most vehicles in Band G only slightly exceed 225 gm/km and they are likely to switch to vehicles that are just under the limit. So adding all this up, the likely benefit is about 0.5%. Who will notice the difference? Nobody!"
Old 02-12-2008, 08:10 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Eco-politicians in Europe are out of control. Why don't they just put us in chains and tell us what to do. Seems like that is what they want.
Prepare yourself. This type of nonsense is headed for our shores here in the
US. Legislation is already in the works that will cost us billions and accomplish
little.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,045 Likes on 558 Posts

Typical "feel-good" legislation.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GabiOsz ...So I am moving to London from the US in about 2 months time, and the 993 is coming too.
I'll be living within the central zone I am sure. If the car is registered within the central zone, am I exempt?

Thanks

Phil
Old 02-12-2008, 09:46 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Punishing those who actually live in the city and use their cars only occasionally is just stupid. I chose to live where I do because I didn't want to commute. Quick back-of-the-envelope math tells me that I pollute 50% less on my 4 mile drive in the 993 than a Prius on the average Seattle-area commute of 12 miles. Oh, and I'm on the road for less than 10 minutes instead of clogging traffic for 40+ minutes!

I'm ducking as I say this, but from a quality of life perspective I'm all for reducing traffic in cities. Especially in places like London there are really good alternatives to driving. However, I'm not sure that the ecological argument here holds any water.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All politicians ought to be lined up and shot. Walking slime.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
Punishing those who actually live in the city and use their cars only occasionally is just stupid. I chose to live where I do because I didn't want to commute. Quick back-of-the-envelope math tells me that I pollute 50% less on my 4 mile drive in the 993 than a Prius on the average Seattle-area commute of 12 miles. Oh, and I'm on the road for less than 10 minutes instead of clogging traffic for 40+ minutes!

I'm ducking as I say this, but from a quality of life perspective I'm all for reducing traffic in cities. Especially in places like London there are really good alternatives to driving. However, I'm not sure that the ecological argument here holds any water.
So you never get your car up to temp. then? Risking the dreaded CEL.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 AM
ASH.PALIN
Instructor

In central London on sunday I paid £1.40 a litre (yes that's $11.00 a gallon) for premium gas.........Although this is exceptional, soon, this will be common in the UK.
Slowly, well over the last 10 years, the government (sic) has put more and more pressure on the people in the UK.

People do not realise the ramifications of this £25.00 congestion charge zone, the 'western extension', currently encompasses many middle, lower and upper class residential areas, so effectively you are having your freedom to move around your own city to visit friends or go to work, restricted by taxation ..........surely this can't be legal......

The current charge of £8.00 is enforced in a tiyrannical fashion, if you forget to pay which is easily done given the rat race nature of the stlye of work undertaken by most Londoners who are giving away 50-60% of there income through indirect/direct taxation......it goes up to £10........forget to pay after 24 hrs..... boom......Have a £50......yes £50 fine!!!! don't pay the fine and it goes up exponentially and the great thing is the enforcement/ debt collectors who come round your house to collect your now £180+ fine are OWNED by the same agency that generated the charge in the first place!!!

Democracy in action..........dontcha just Luv it!!!

Yep, chain us up......

Beware Americans.......it's coming your way!!

And as an aside, the Porsche Carrera is specifically mentioned as one of the cars to be Taxed............£25.00 A DAY!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am truly frustrated by this news. I agree that this mindset will come to the legislative brances of America soon enough, but I would see this being implemented more at the state level than at the federal level... For those of us that live in the middle of nowhere, perhaps we will be "less" affected...

Truly ridiculous.

-B
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys there's a reason our ancestors left England in the first place.....some things never change!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:37 AM
ELJG
Advanced

Add to this the new 'low emissions zone' charging which introduces a £200 per day charge for certain vehicle s with 'higher emissions' (these vehicles will, of course, have passed their emissions tests) and the mayor may well get his wish of being mayor of a ghost town! But then Red Ken (a.k.a. London mayor) doesn't live in London and travels by tax-payer funded taxi! Let's make sure we vote him out in the upcoming election!
Old 02-13-2008, 03:31 AM
Peter R.
Pro

These taxes are called into existence with the sole purpose of robbing the people blind without them being able to do something about it.

Think about it : if you think a car is too polluting, does charging 50$ a day for it (on top of fuel excise and VAT, road tax, vat on the car etc) make it any cleaner ?

I think all the haulage companies that supply food, drink and other necessary items to the greater London area should band together and refuse to supply goods to the area altogether.

I am seriously debating asking for political asylum in the US on the grounds of being taxed out of existance,

Peter '75% tax' R.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:01 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ppashley
GabiOsz ...So I am moving to London from the US in about 2 months time, and the 993 is coming too.
I'll be living within the central zone I am sure. If the car is registered within the central zone, am I exempt?

Thanks

Phil
Phil, Currently, as a resident, you have to pay £4 per week if you drive inside the zone 7am - 6pm Monday - Friday, but if this goes ahead it will be £125 a week. TBH in practical terms I would rarely use the car during working hours, I guess this would be an opportunity to get a motorbike or a £200 old diesel banger and save putting miles on my 993, obviously the 993 stays!

I still have doubts about whether they will actually get this in, any car pre 2001 with a 3 litre engine or higher will be a problem for a lot of poorer families that cannot afford a new car, amoung other objections.

Quick Reply: London going mad!