Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Looking to buy daily driver - 993 vs. 996?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by PSD21
I currently own a 1990 944s2 that I bought as a second car for fun and after deciding i no longer have a need for my truck since all I drive is the Porsche, I am thinking of buying a 911 in stead of both cars. I love the 993 and have always dreamed of owning a C2s or C4s. However, I am looking in the 35-40K range and I think that would put a S-car out of my price range. That said, I would probably be in the market for a standard carrera with 30-50k miles. The 993 seems to be going for the same price if not more than a 996 that is 4 to 5 years newer. I also am not sure if the 993 would as suitable for a daily driver. I live in Fl so weather wouldn't be a concern. As well, I am in the Navy and spend a good portion of my time away and that means the car would be sitting for a couple of months in my garage and not driven (properly stored of course). I have driven a 996 before about 5 years ago and all I can remember is thought it was pretty remarkable. I have never had the privilege to be behind the wheel of a 993. As far as looks go i perfer the 993, and the believe the car has more spirit than its replacement- more a porsche for the true enthuiast. I have noticed the little annoyances with my 90 944, certain buttons here and there do not work, rattles that come with age, etc...things of this nature make me lean towards the 996. Upkeep cost would probably weigh in and of course reliablity concerns. I am pretty mechanically inclined and have no problem doing brakes, struts, oil changes etc. Any input or experience with both cars that any one would have would be much appreciated. Respectfully, undecided.
I also live in Florida and came here with my 1996 993 as a daily driver. The only thing that I found was wanting was the AC. I had it recharged before arriving, but the 993 AC, which is better than the previous cars, still is not as robust as I would have liked.

If you need to be ice cold (I do not), then you should verify the target car meets your needs with an AC check.

The 996 makes a good driver, but I would resist the series I cars as they seem to have more issues than the later cars. Many series II cars are still in warranty and can also be CPO warranty extended, which you will have a harder time with the older 993. Both cars can be expensive if something breaks.

I also came from the 944 fold 10 years ago and think you will really like the 911 series. The 944 is nice, but the 911 build and performance is way beyond the 944.

The 993 is much closer to the soul of the 911s past and has a charm that is lost with the later cars. Pick this car if you are searching for a modern car that embraces the roots of the 911.

On the flip side the 996 and 997 are great daily rides and you may find a little more comfort in driving in conditions where you may feel a tinge of guilt driving a 993 in. The series II 996 is very much at home as a daily driver and offers a lot of performance for the money as well as improved driving in wet conditions. There are also more creature comforts if you need them.

If you can find a way to get to a used 997 you will be even better off. The 2005 non-S versions are getting into the affordable range and are a great car. Still, it may be more of a stretch than what you can do, but at least explore the option. If nothing else it is an education.

Finally, all models have their weak spots when it comes to service and reliability. The 993 has some issues with the top end valve guides. The OBD II CEL (Check Engine Light) is another issue that causes a lot of acid reflex. Neither is cheap, but the car is pretty bullet-proof in every other way.

The 996 has had issues with the rear main seal, which is actually a number of possible issues, but they all manifest themselves as the same symptom and people call it the RMS leak. Some RMS issues can be very bad. This is where a Porsche warranty is handy (recommended).

I would drive as many cars as you can find and keep researching the two models until you understand the strengths and in particular, weaknesses of each and select the best example you can afford.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 AM
banzai993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

both the 996 and 993 are great cars.. I have had Turbo versions of both and now drive a NA 993..

I found a better connection and more sports car feel in the 993 .. but my wife preferred the 996 (she liked the lexus like interior )

my advice is buy one of each
Old 02-12-2008, 11:08 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

As a past owner of a 96 and 997 and current 993 owner I'd like to offer the following:
1. The 993 AC is a non issue in Tampa (If in proper order)

2. If you opt for the 993 in Florida, I'd rec'd an aux oil cooler

3. While a 996 under warranty might be a viable option at some great price point, there are only a few modern cars I'd operate out of warranty and the 993 is one of them.

jack
Attached Images  
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

cabrio ..this will crack you up!
https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/409593-more-joey-carrera-and-friends.html
Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 AM
RS 197
Pro

[QUOTE=cabrio993;5089088]
Originally Posted by CarreraX

I thought that the Ford Taurus was part of its gene pool...
Classic... I would love to see a comparison post of the two on the 996 Forum....

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:40 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
OMG...there is like a whole club full of them. LOL...thanks for the link...it's hilarious!

What is this guy thinking? and he left the 996 home and is taking the bus to the prom? WTF?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Looking to buy daily driver - 993 vs. 996?