993 Forum 1995-1998

Finally took the plunge and bought my first in HK

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:17 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally took the plunge and bought my first in HK

Yup thats right, after 2 months of looking through all the listings from both private and dealers, I have yesterday purchased Cartoon Blue's MY96 993. I took other Rennlister's kind suggestions and bought the best one that I can afford and Cartoon Blue's was definetly in a fine condition. It have unbeliverbly low miles plus a complete Jebsen record from its birth, whcih shows me the kind of attention previous owners paid to this car. I am not saying that this is perfect and I do expect that minor problems will appear from time to time, but being maintained annually by Jebesn, at least I can rest assure that a major engine overhaul will be very unlikely.

Although it was in a fine condition...i did paid $$$$$ for it, which I thought was well worth it though. A similar condition MY96 at Techfu was asking for way more and they did not budge, so that did make me feel a bit better. BTW, stay away from that place unless you prepare to pay way above market price.

As Alan (i believe it was) had kindly suggested before, try to buy from a pivate seller if at all possible. At least you can get a feel of what kind of person the previous owner was..and in this case, Cartoon Blue was definitely a Porsche enthusiast after having gone through a few porsches and waiting for a Cayenne. At least he knows his stuff about 993's!

My advice to buyers: ignore all this "no one keeps their service records here in HK" crap from dealers and private sellers here. Do insist on this and walk away from the deal if you sense any thing is not right. IMHO, knowing the service history will make you sleep better at night! You do not want to buy a HK$300K+ vehicle knowing nothing about it, or any priced vehicle.

Also, be patient with the search and a right one will come along. I almost took the plunge on a red one two weeks ago and it was only HK$40+K less. But it got only 3 years of service history, close to 90K KM and a shady past (having been exported to OZ for a year). Good thing I waited.

When I first saw Cartoon Blue's, I have to admit that the Jellybean blue color was a bit qwirky (sp), but having seen it in person, it really captivated me. It really got that retro 70's porsche feel that I like. Most important..my gf thinks the color is literally "sweet" and ready to be eaten!

Now I am worried that I will go down the the slippery slope of mods! Black BBS LM being the first.

Btw..HK Rennlisters: Having read the posts of LPMM exhaust mod here, have any one done this here? Where can I go for this?

Thanks and have a happy new year of the Rat!

-Matt

Last edited by ddsiu; 02-07-2008 at 07:36 AM. Reason: info
Old 02-07-2008, 07:23 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats, but where are the pictures? We need to see them ASAP!

Ken
Old 02-07-2008, 07:45 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

will do so once I get a few pictures taken!
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt - congrats on your purchase - I love the colour. Although i have previously seen pictures of your car, tomorow is meant to be sunny so you can take some more!! I look forward to seeing you on the road.... happy new year too.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:21 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Congratulations!!

I was reading the Sunday Post Classifiedes flying through HKG this past sunday and saw several 993s for sale. There was this nice midnight blue turbo with black rims around 50km that was a private sale...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:24 AM
HJK
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great start of the Chinese new year for you! Congratulations, I can't wait for a regional Porsche Meet at Sepang or so..... I use RSR's, ordered from carnewal in Belgium, just great sound....
Be safe.
Henk
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
NOH20
Racer

Congrats.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats ... and Happy Chinese New Year.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 PM
TargaTango
Racer

Matt, Well done and I hope you have a great deal of fun with your new baby. We want pictures! We want pictures!

A very happy Year of the Rat to you.

All the best,
Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 AM
p993enthusiast
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations!! I am sure you will grow to love the turquoise blue if you havent already. Definintely a very unique colour. The turbo twists on the car look great as it is - will love to see how the BBS LMs would look though...

As for LPMMs, Darren (DBYT) and Rex (rex993) have both done it. Darren had it done at Road & Track.

Congrats again.

Alan
Old 02-08-2008, 02:10 AM
cartoon blue
Advanced

Matt: Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying the car. The day I saw you drove away my (now yours) 993 at the parking lot, I was really sad......................its the 2nd time (2nd time I sell a 993).

Not much I can do now, feel really happy to find a great owner for my 2 993s, have fun!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:38 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

Originally Posted by cartoon blue
Matt: Congratulations! I hope you are enjoying the car. The day I saw you drove away my (now yours) 993 at the parking lot, I was really sad......................its the 2nd time (2nd time I sell a 993).

Not much I can do now, feel really happy to find a great owner for my 2 993s, have fun!
Dont mean to rub it in, but I know how you feel after selling my higly mod 88' Golf back in the US... I saw your expression and I dont know what to say accept I will give her a good home. See you around!

-Matt
Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 AM
ddsiu
Instructor

Originally Posted by p993enthusiast
Congratulations!! I am sure you will grow to love the turquoise blue if you havent already. Definintely a very unique colour. The turbo twists on the car look great as it is - will love to see how the BBS LMs would look though...

As for LPMMs, Darren (DBYT) and Rex (rex993) have both done it. Darren had it done at Road & Track.

Congrats again.

Alan

Thanks Alan, I will PM them for some info. I would love to meet Barry over at R&T in person as he had been the utmost help on the phone and I havent bought anything from him yet!

Quick Reply: Finally took the plunge and bought my first in HK