Sponsored by:

Kinesis Motorsport - SAD

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Kinesis Motorsport - SAD

Recently, I discovered that 3 bolts holding my Kinesis K28's 3 piece wheels together were sheared off. Not sure how/why but obviously a big concern. No damage though and all that's required are 3 new bolts and a fresh reassembly of all bolts to correct torque spec. As a former Kinesis dealer I was reluctant to contact new owners Lexani as they were all but useless the one other time I contacted them for service on a customer's wheel around the time of the sale last year.

When I called they gave me another # to call for a Lexani dealer (I assume) who were about as much help as Lexani was/is.

They initially asked me to send the wheel in because they're not sure which bolts were used originally (ridiculous Kinesis build spec's should be readily available to the new owners) and that they would then send the wheel to Lexani (and I would be responsible for shipping to and from them and to and from them to Lexani..no I couldn't send it in direct). They then agreed to sell the bolts only if I sent one in off my wheel (great) but that I would need a money order because they don't take credit cards or checks.

The kicker was when I asked for his name and adress which point he politely said he doesn't give out his last name....I politely thanked him for his time and hung up.

Needless to say, I hope no other current Kinesis wheel owner needs service anytime soon!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:14 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is a DICK.

Sorry to hear about that.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:25 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the backstory on this? Was Kinesis bankrupt or something?

I can't see why a bling wheel company would buy a performance wheel company and then basically dismantle it. What are they doing with the brand--putting it on chrome dubs?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

No, not bankrupt. Just not captialized to the extent that enabled them to scale and thus compete with the likes of HRE and Fikse for example. They were a small hands on family run company (based right here in San Diego) with great product and outstanding customer service. Businesses like that are fewer and far between these days no matter your primary industry may be.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:42 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, Lexani is totaly useless for the older Kinesis wheels. I also had issues when I wanted to restore my K28's. I am not happy that the original owners sold out to such a crap company. I ended up going to a local shop in Maryland who did a fantastic job. Hopefully I won't need replacement parts unless I buy someones rims.

Good Luck to you!!!! And a Pox on Lexani!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had restored a set of Kinesis wheels just before Alan sold out. I was very very satisfied with Alan and his company. When I heard Lexani was the buyer, I wondered what would happen if I needed the same service in the future. I guess we now know.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:28 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Well it's sounds like a business opportunity for someone that want's to go into the wheels rebuilding business. Maybe Alan need something else to do.
Phil
Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just get rid of the crap wheels...
Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marlon
just get rid of the crap wheels...
Off the meds again?

---------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the poor experience Jordan. Hopefully my "crappy wheels" won't need parts soon.
Funny, I just sent them and email yesterday asking about getting a few replacement bolts just to have them on hand.
I'll bet we can get some of these via another supplier if we have the specs. Google here I come.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I like my 'Old' K28 wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even more so that they have been restored to better than new.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:05 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Some story. All I can say is if I had a set I loved I'd be scouring Ebay and here for spares.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Stories like this **** me off. Customer Service in many industries has been declining along with business ethics for years. This is why when I do FIND someone who treats me like my $$ matters to them I'm loyal. F*ck Lexani. I hope their $hit attitude carries over into their QC processes and they produce a horde of substandard wheels (no safety issues though) and people stop buying their product. The only thing companies like this understand is when their pockets stop being filled.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Marlon
Drifting

LOL! Or maybe try Ebay. Or maybe contract a professional machine shop to fabricate some bolts for you. The list of possibilities is endless. It's amazing how unsupported or even outdated technologies can be kept alive with good ole' ingenuity.

If you machine replacements - Just be sure to remove two or three of the existing bolts/nuts for your machinist to weigh. That way he can get them close to the same average weight per nut/bolt. Otherwise you might end up with a dynamic balance issue.

Would also suggest understanding why you lost the ones you did???

No offense to anyone having these wheels btw - just sounds like the importer or manufacturer is flaky. They do look nice!

Originally Posted by MarkD
Off the meds again?

---------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the poor experience Jordan. Hopefully my "crappy wheels" won't need parts soon.
Funny, I just sent them and email yesterday asking about getting a few replacement bolts just to have them on hand.
I'll bet we can get some of these via another supplier if we have the specs. Google here I come.

Last edited by Marlon; 02-05-2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Default Kinesis

When Kinesis was Kinesis, they made some of the best motorsport wheels out there. Light, durable and very well made. We have some left over BBS hardware that may be a match if I can find them.

Here's what Lexani has done for the product since acquisition. Hey look....I think a hundred dollar bill might just fit on that lip.

And Marlon: I'm well aware of the various avenues available to me, thank you for your insight. The point is that Kinesis is still very much a going concern and selling the same "motorsports" wheels with the same OEM hardware. At issue is customer service. If you are (marketing) & selling 3 piece wheels that can be reassembled as motorsports parts should you bend one, you'd expect they'd make the critical parts needed to do so readily available to their install base. What's the point in paying $5-$6K for a set if otherwise? If we were talking about HRE or Fiske it would take one phone call....

Thank god I don't need a center barrel, chrome might be the only option now.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2008, 04:54 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat-6 Performance
When Kinesis was Kinesis, they made some of the best motorsport wheels out there. Light, durable and very well made. We have some left over BBS hardware that may be a match if I can find them.

Here's what Lexani has done for the product since acquisition. Hey look....I think a hundred dollar bill might just fit on that lip.

And Marlon: I'm well aware of the various avenues available to me, thank you for your insight. The point is that Kinesis is still very much a going concern and selling the same "motorsports" wheels with the same OEM hardware. At issue is customer service. If you are (marketing) & selling 3 piece wheels that can be reassembled as motorsports parts should you bend one, you'd expect they'd make the critical parts needed to do so readily available to their install base. What's the point in paying $5-$6K for a set if otherwise? If we were talking about HRE or Fiske it would take one phone call....

Thank god I don't need a center barrel, chrome might be the only option now.

+1
More than one way to skin this cat and we certainly will. The problem is not the wheel or the way it was manufactured, it is the lack of support now available from the company who aquired them (or what is left of Kinesis within Lexani).
Now, tell me more about this "eBay" thing you speak of?

Quick Reply: Kinesis Motorsport - SAD