Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!! Trying to remove cats from my 993...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help!!!! Trying to remove cats from my 993...

I'm replacing the cats on my 1996 C2 for hi flows. I have removed (snapped) all the bolts and donuts connecting to the muffs and heat exchangers. I thought I was done but now I realize that the heat shields are holding it up. How do I remove the heat shield or the bolts holding the cats???
I'm at a point of no return as I snapped all the exhaust bolts so it's not like I can put it all together again either. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:31 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Lefty-loosey -- right?

Seriously now -- which bolts are you referring to? The cat to heat exchanger bolts? There are also 1/4 turn fasteners or camloc type of fasteners that require a 6mm wrench to remove. There are five of them IIRC. They attach the cat heat shield to the cat.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I wasn't clear which bolts to remove. It is the cat heat shield bolts. I was able to remove 1 of the 1/4 turn fasteners but the rest are a problem to remove due to where they are located. They are difficult to reach. Is there a simpler way to remove them without cutting the heat shield itself?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Use a small 6mm combo wrench --- the closed end typically has a 15 degree bend that will allow you to barely get to the bolt head, very near the bumper cover / heat shielding.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:27 PM
North Coast Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had issues with mune and ended up using some visegrips to turn the rusted heat shield bolts. They all broke and it dropped down.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Most of the bolt heads will snap off when removing the cats for the first time. You will need a long cold chisel to knock off some of the weird nuts that the cat bolts connect to. You then will need brand new nuts and bolts to replace the hardware you 'cut' off. YOu might even need a Dremel with those heavy duty, fiber reinforced cut-off wheels - I did. Those tiny bolts on your heat shield will snap off with visegrips. You will see where you might have to buy some 993-specific hardware to replace some weird threaded clips and small miscelllaneous bolts. This is an easy job, it just takes time, a good light, a nice thick piece of cardboard to lay on, a good jack and a fair amount of specific tools to make it come together. How do I know? I have done it twice - on two different 993's!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I usually replace all the bolts with stainless steel ones unless the stock ones are in good shape. Remember, with most alloys stainless is weaker than steel bolts but it seems to work fine with the exhaust system. I also replace all the bolts holding the clamps on the tips and mufflers with SS bolts. It just makes it much easier to service in the future.

As far as the clips that hold the sheilds on, they are weird and I could only source them exactly from Porsche. They are also stupidly expensive (like $10 each). I used standard sheet metal clips and stainless bolts when I did mine...not totally original but much cheaper. The clips will rust regardless unless you can source SS ones.

Oh, I use a air power cut-off tool and cut the bolts off if they resist. Usually the badly corroded ones will just snap off.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-03-2008, 11:39 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Success!!! I was able to get the last rear bolts using the long nose vice grips along worth some choice words. Most of them snapped off but I don't think I’ll need to use them since sport cat pipes will be fitted.
Thanks to everyone’s comments, they helped me along nicely. Now for a nice cold
Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that placing a bowl of milk outside the car and leaving the windows rolled down would work.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! Trying to remove cats from my 993...