ANYTHING NEW ON THE MOBIL 1 FRONT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mpgandco
So Steve [Renn Sport]
I just had an oil service on my new 993 TT.I put in Redline 15/50 High performance oil at about $10 a Quart.Is my motor OK with this?It does say
SE/SL on the bottle.
Next service I think I will swith to BRAD/PENN.Is 5000 Miles between changes on Brad Penn acceptable,being it is non synthetic?
I think you'll be just fine on both counts,...

JMHO, but I like to change oil more often on turbocharged cars and I'd be going no further than 4K on ANY oil.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charles & Steve, thanks for all the insight and advice.... much appreciated!
Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recent purchase at Walmart....Jug of 15/50 with all of the above ratings.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:55 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred, Long Island
Recent purchase at Walmart....Jug of 15/50 with all of the above ratings.
Just returned 15/50 jugs to Walmart yesterday- not the right stuff. Ordered Brad Penn 20-50.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

I too used to use only synthetics in every vehicle I owned as it was drummed into my head that synthetics were always better. Sure, a synthetic will provide better protection longer at the bleeding edge (granted it has a similar formulation to it's non-syn counterpart), but it's been my experiece as well as that of many other well respected engine builders that the formulation is just as important if not more so than the base-stock for most users, and that Brad Penn and Swepco are actually performing better even under race conditions than the aforementioned full synthetics.

I use a Motul semi-syn SJ rated oil in my new VWs since it's been giving me excellent UOAs. I have the Brad Penn, which is also a semi-syn) in the 911 as well.

It's worth mentioning, in the SAE paper published on the development of oils for Nascar, that they found they could get the same wear performance out of a synthetic 10w30 as compared to a non-syn 20w50, all additives being equal, if that's of any added help to the syn versus non-syn debate. That's not to say I would ever recommend a 10w30 in an aircooled Porsche...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info, Charles.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:08 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Charles, I'm expecting my Case of Brad Penn 20w50 from LN to show up at my door today !!
(Hope that the 1800 miles on castrol GTX 20w50 after my full engine overhaul didn't hurt things too much !!).Please keep the info on air cooled oil arena developments comming !!

Rob.(89 C-4 # 307)
Old 02-05-2008, 01:07 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Here's an interesting one;

PROCESS F6

Norms & Specifications

Special PORSCHE engine oil.

Conceived to satisfy the PORSCHE latest requirements, particularly the 200h PORSCHE test (911 3.6L engine)

SAE 5W-40
ACEA A3/B3/B4
API SL/CF
PORSCHE
this is on Porsche's recommended list http://www.igol-fr.com/motor-oil-lubricant/motocars.htm
Old 02-05-2008, 01:43 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

I do not like to turn the key and start my 993 engine in the morning with a 20W oil.

Just called a friend who trades oil and got his opinion on this thread. (he's a trader, not mech.)

The majority of engine oil bases are the same, what changes in brand is the additives.

There are FIVE major suppliers of engine oil base in the world, filling those oil cans.
There are few wholesale companies and warehousing entities specialized in doing the packaging and mix additives,
and brand the cans.
So you can purchase a MOTUL can that has never been at MOTUL.

MAJOR OIL producers and suppliers.

EXXON-MOBIL fairfax, virginia +Chevron texaco
supplies base for: mobil-esso-kendall-quaker-ford-havoline etc.

SHELL IN THE UK
supplies BP-castrol-shell , and valvoline in Netherlands etc

AGIP ITALY
supplies agip, lots of swiss owned oil brands due to border proximity

TOTAL-FINA-ELF
supplies elf-total-fina-MOTUL-Liqui Moly- IGOL- UNIL OPAL-fuchs etc

Thing is, the Elf you are using in the US is bottled mixed and stirred in the US with chevron base
And the Quaker full synthetic the Swiss is using, is filled with agip or ELF base.

Unfortunately, if an oil can has a min. of 11% of hydrocracked oil, you can brand it with 100% synthetic, (castrol - Mobile court suit)

The p-dealership here (owned by Porsche germany) uses Unil Opal 5W-40 (Opaljet 24S) for the 993 (SL) very very cheap. I use it in mine and I do not have a clue if it is ok.
I would really fancy a 0w-60 with the proper additives though, or why not 0W-70 ...until then.

Last edited by geolab; 02-05-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Didn't think this discussion would go on for so long.

Has anyone tried Shell Rotella T? It's cheap, & has a lot of additives, comes in both synth & dino.

A lot of turbo Audi guys swear by the stuff, & some Wallmarts carry the 1g synth & dino, about $20 per g for the stuff.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Bobby:

We abandoned Mobil engine oils well over a year ago after multiple camshaft/rocker failures and now use, recommend and sell both Brad-Penn 20w-50 and Swepco 306 in two viscosities.

Besides offering the needed protection, we picked up some power on our engine dyno from the use of these oils, as well.

We use these in all street and racing engines.

good to know this tidbit

..but has anyone used amsoil in the 993 with success?

I used the last of my old mobil 1 (before reformulated) last year for my oil change... so I'll have to pick up something soon for my spring oil change!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:33 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Charles, I'm a little confused. You recommend not using a racing oil for street use since it is low on detergent and needs frequent changes, but you have 7 Brad-Penn oils offered at your site and all are labeled as racing oils. Can you clarify please and sorry if I missed something earlier in this thread regarding this.

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:06 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Lots of oils are marketed as "racing oil" yet have plenty of additives for street use and even long drain intervals. That's like asking if every tool with the word "professional" on it should only be used by full-time mechanics.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

The monograde Brad Penn racing oils are the lower detergent, true racing oils, not meant for long drain intervals. The label "racing oil" pertains more to the requirements of the lubricant for the performance aspect of the engine and in the case of the Brad Penn, is to differentiate these oils from their non-racing line of oils for newer, production vehicles, as the racing oils are just a small portion of their business. They manufacture Motorcraft oils as well as the diesel oils for New Holland, as well as other oils for resale.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Didn't think this discussion would go on for so long.

Has anyone tried Shell Rotella T? It's cheap, & has a lot of additives, comes in both synth & dino.

A lot of turbo Audi guys swear by the stuff, & some Wallmarts carry the 1g synth & dino, about $20 per g for the stuff.
The old rotella T which is what had a great reputation, is not what is being marketed now. It's now a CJ-4 oil, which I've had two customers so far have failures using as they assumed since it was Rotella that it was good.

If you want to use a cheap, easy to get diesel oil that is readily available, the Mobil 1 Truck and Diesel CI-4 5w40 is one of your only choices for being able to pick up at Autozone or your FLAPS. That is until it gets replaced with the newer CJ-4 Delvac 1...

Pay attention to the labels... if it says SM or CJ-4, to be on the safe side, stay clear. Preferably, if it says ACEA A3/B3 rated 0w40/5w40 with an SJ or SL rating, at the bare minimum you know it is probably good enough for a newer 986/996 based Porsche.

Quick Reply: ANYTHING NEW ON THE MOBIL 1 FRONT?