Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

ANYTHING NEW ON THE MOBIL 1 FRONT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Those not in North America might just be better sticking to European brands, like Fuchs, Lubromoly, Motul, Elf, Pentosin, etc. Just look at the label and you'll be more than likely to find an API SJ or SL rated 0 or 5w40 (the thicker 5w40 being preferred for all but the coldest sub zero daily starts).

Also, there is a Mobil 1 Special Synth V 5w40 API SJ VW 505.01 spec oil which I would imagine would be a phenomenal oil to use, as that particular VW spec is quite rigorous for their V10 TDI and W8/W12 engines alike which is only available in Europe.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:49 AM
mpgandco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 AM
mpgandco
Pro

Which motor oil do I (Charles Navarro) use in my aircooled Porsche?
Although there are many excellent motor oils out there, considering the wide array of oils I have access to, I currently am using Brad Penn 20w50 API SJ for the summer and winter months in my aircooled Porsche since it never sees sub-freezing starts. The Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 Racing oil is the same "green" oil everyone was familiar with back when Kendall GT was the best motor oil money can buy, as both the original and this newer product both come from the same facility using genuine Pennsylvania crude. These oils are proven to protect cams, rockers, lifters, and all valve train components as well as provide superior rod bearing life because of their very high HTHS viscosities AND low levels of individual detergents to net a high level of detergency with the use of Ca, Mg, and Na synergistically. Just ask anyone about the "green" Kendall oil from decades past and you'll know why we like it so much.

If I were to have sub-freezing starts, I would probably use the Swepco 306 15w40 API CI-4. Swepco comes highly recommended by Jerry Woods, a very well-respected and experienced Porsche engine builder. Both these oils are highly refined paraffin base stocks, and I feel they are excellent choices for my aircooled 911 with oil changes both in the fall and spring, as my 911 is not a daily driver, but does see year round service.

In my two newer vehicles, both of which are Volkswagens, they require a VW 505.01 specification motor oil, and I use Motul 5w40 505.01 specific, which is an API SJ rated semi-synthetic.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:25 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Charles. My head is still spinning from reading the very long thread at Pelican on this subject yesterday. I did learn a ton. Thanks for your contribution. I think your recommendations below summarize much of the thread. The question I do have is in regard to viscosity. Porsche recommended 40W yet many are running 20W50.(forget about the first number in multi's as this applies to cold start viscosity right?) If the ambient range is 40F-85F, for street use, is a 20W50 too viscous?

My other conclusion is that a few other oil mfg's have acceptable oils also. They are generally quite expensive such as Royal Purple, Amsoil, Castrol Syntec, Redline and Mobil V1 Twin.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

ZDDP ( zinc dialkyl dithiophospate) is an exteme pressure additive. it also has some dispersant and antioxidant benefits. It protects sliding cams (typical). Zinc diaryl dithiophospate has also been used over the years. Mainly for diesel engines ( higher temp applications) but for roller cams. The problem is that many of these additives need to be limited so as to not adversly affect the catalysts. I believe it is most important to get the latest/updated info/opinion from the auto manufacturer.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Typo....its zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate ( two ph's)
Old 02-03-2008, 01:10 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

I went round and round with my Porsche dealer. They insist that all cars get 0w50 Mobil 1. This is the same thing that goes in the newer cars. I said that 0w oil did not exist in 1997, they wouldn't budge.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Based on the design of the variocam plus on the newest models, I would think the pressure on the cam lobes would be much higher than in the older cars ( surface area difference). Either the newer cam lobes are harder or Porsche is not worried about/doesn't care about wear ( your problem when it is long out of warrantee). They, as well as other manufacturers need to accept the new (industry standard) oils.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I went round and round with my Porsche dealer. They insist that all cars get 0w50 Mobil 1. This is the same thing that goes in the newer cars. I said that 0w oil did not exist in 1997, they wouldn't budge.
Jim,

Remember one key point,..its YOUR car (not the dealer's) and you are responsible for all the expenses and repairs.

Dealers must support the "Company policy" and most of them are totally unaware of the changes in oils and their effects. I'm sorry to say this, but they are the direct beneficiaries from using such products and there is a potential conflict of interest here.

Use the good stuff and your pocketbook will be happier,...
Old 02-03-2008, 01:54 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The dealer's response reminds of the old days when dealers used Pennzoil ("Black Death"), because Pennzoil gave them good prices and even painted the service department...
Old 02-03-2008, 02:29 PM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Same here in SA. I have always had my annual service done by the Porsche distributor and 0w50 Mobil 1 is recomended and used. I also discussed
useing this after reading posts last year on the oil issue and was told that this was a factory statement.
Hard to argue with that.
I'm sure that the factory and all the ongoing research they must do would not insist on Mobil 1 if it was not up to the mark. I presume that our version of Mobil 1 is the EU type which might differ from the US type. All very confusing!
I would really like to have response from Mobil.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is all the Porsche Dealers have in stock, for all the reasons mentioned above.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Post Redline & Elf Tech Data:

Tech Data:

http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/4.pdf

elf_Excellium_GP_10W-50.pdf
Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Brad-Penn used to be called Kendall GT-1 and I used that in our old IMSA RSR and 935 without any issues whatsoever. IMHO, a 750+ HP 935 is tougher on oil than anything else.
Ah So! Harry Hall recommended and used Kendall GT-1 when he serviced my old '88 911 but even up in DE/PA it was tough to find. He ordered it by the barrel from his dist.

Based on Steve's recommendation I ordered a case of Swepco from LNengineering mentioned earlier in the thread.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm curious, the last recommended oil TSB I saw stater 0w40 was the recommended weight. Has this changed again? The latest "Engine Oils Approved by Porsche" I have is dated Jul 28, 2006 and all the oils on it are listed as 0w40 or 5w40.

I'm not denying that a 50 weight wouldn't be better I'm just curious why the dealer would be dispensing 0w50 when Porsche recommends 0w40.

Quick Reply: ANYTHING NEW ON THE MOBIL 1 FRONT?