Sponsored by:

ANYTHING NEW ON THE MOBIL 1 FRONT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve what about Turbos? I have 0-40 in mine right now (not by choice) and will be changing shortly, which weight would you suggest. It is normaly hot down here.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike -

For our part of the world you probably want a 15/50 or a 20/50. My last was 20/50 Brad Penn for my NA 993.

Best wishes
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Howdy993
Mike -

For our part of the world you probably want a 15/50 or a 20/50. My last was 20/50 Brad Penn for my NA 993.

Best wishes
Thanks Howard. It will definatley be no less tha 15-50
Old 09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Thanks Howard. It will definatley be no less tha 15-50
Mike, FWIW, concensus seems to be that dino or partial syn is a no-no for air/oil cooled turbo cars.
Apparently the added heat generated by turbos is brutal on dino oils... advice by many is to only use full syn.
Which creates a bit of a dilemma, given the discussion in this thread.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
Mike, FWIW, concensus seems to be that dino or partial syn is a no-no for air/oil cooled turbo cars.
Apparently the added heat generated by turbos is brutal on dino oils... advice by many is to only use full syn.
Which creates a bit of a dilemma, given the discussion in this thread.
Definatley Full Syn, but what weight?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike is wise to seek the advice of Steve W.. not owning a Turbo is why I specified NA. I'd be looking for the best synthetic option in the 15 to 20 / 50 weight range.

Good luck to all - this has sure become a can of worms.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Amsoil

Does Amsoil still have an oil that isn't sm?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Hillary
Hi,
Steve - You said this:

"There are some issues now surfacing about the use of 0w-40 oils in these cars and seem to be largely contained to North America.

NA spec cars have a clutch pedal interlock that prevents the engine from being started unless the pedal is depressed. This puts a huge load on the crankshaft's thrust bearings and we've seen premature wear when using the light oils that don't provide sufficient lubrication for those heavily loaded components."

Can you please proved quantifiable evidence to support this statement?
What do you want? Pictures???

Like he said, he's "seen premature wear when using the light oils". I'm guessing that it's in cars that he or his shop has been servicing over a period of time. As one of the biggest contributors (if not the biggest) of technical information on the 993 board, I think it's safe to assume that Steve knows his stuff.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 AM
face-ache
Instructor

I think Steve can fight his own battles..
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Doug , Steve in my opinion is very much correct , we have been seeing the same sort of out of the ordinary wear in all the Porsche models from the 1970's to the mid 1990"s at our workshop in regards to thrust bearing wear , camshaft / lifter face wear etc ,when these cars are running on light vis oils , which by the way as we have" ALL" learned in the last year or so some oil brands have had very fluctuating(low) ZDDP levels over the last decade(understandable to comply to later emissions regs for later cars) . Where as the same Porsche models , be it 911 , 928, 944 , 968 , 951 , that have stayed on the recommended oil viscosity's in the owners handbook (printed by Porsche) & recommended by Porsche when these cars were new appear to suffer very little or no wear at all compared to the ones that have been running on the thinner vis oils.(particularly if that particular oil is very low on ZDDP ).and made worse if the same cars have had their oil pressure warning light on at idle (hot) .
Now lets look at the owners manuals oil viscosity section, and in the temperature range that I am concerned with for my Porsche customers
The temp range minus 10 degrees celsius to unlimited high temp (yes stuck in traffic hot or thrashing or both)
Porsche models concerned =
911 air cooled all
944 all
944S2 all
924 all
928 all
951 all
968 all
What does Porsche recommend in the owners manual ?
Answer = 15w-50 or 20W-50
In fact we have had no camshaft / lifter face wear or thrust bearing wear on any of the above Porsche models mentioned that I have personally known from new (from when I worked for many years at an official Porsche dealership) and we still look after these very same cars now , some with over 350,000kms and still so signs of thrust bearing wear or camshaft wear and have been using the same oil that the official Porsche dealership used then ,
Oh by the way , if you look at a 1998 year type 996 owners(printed by Porsche) manual and have a look at the temp range as mentioned above you will see
15w-50 and or 20w-50 oil viscosity .yep I know it even surprised me .
Remember this is only my experience and my opinion from working on Porsche cars six days a week for the last 14+ years at my own Porsche independent workshop and the previous years working at an official Porsche dealership and if you add the two it goes back in total over 30 years .
Regards .BB.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Definatley Full Syn, but what weight?
Mike, for me here in NorCal, something with a "50" in the second half... not much winter driving necessary for me and it never gets really cold here.

kinda stuck with M1. I recently heard of another additive I might use to overcome the Zn an P concerns. Not sure of the name at the moment.

FWIW, my 85K mile cams look very good. Most of their life they had the "old" M1 syn, of course.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 533 Posts
Default motor oils for 911 & 951

Yesterday I started my search ( south bay area) for the Mobil 1- 20/ 50 V twin and came up with 3 bottles total from 5 stores. Not a good start. I dont want to have to search for oil but this is what keeping these cars on the road has come to thanks to the EPA. What would be the required change out period for this oil and the filter, 5000, 6000 miles or more along the lines of 3000, 4000 miles. I plan to use this oil in both the 951/ CAT removed and the 75/ 911.Thanks in advance.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

I would figure 5-6k miles tops on the M1 V-Twin or MX4T formulations. It's a little less detergent than the Brad Penn, but since it's a full syn, the detergents and additives tend to last a tad bit longer.

Your experience trying to find the V-Twin m1 is just about as good as mine. Three autozones later, I was only able to find 2 qts. I also expect the retail price to go up, considering the wholesale price shot up almost $3/qt since my wholeseller had a large supply of old stock.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I would figure 5-6k miles tops on the M1 V-Twin or MX4T formulations. It's a little less detergent than the Brad Penn, but since it's a full syn, the detergents and additives tend to last a tad bit longer.

Your experience trying to find the V-Twin m1 is just about as good as mine. Three autozones later, I was only able to find 2 qts. I also expect the retail price to go up, considering the wholesale price shot up almost $3/qt since my wholeseller had a large supply of old stock.
Unless somethings changed in the last month or so I usually see 3-5 qts at least sitting on the shelf of my local Autozone and the PepBoys usually has it too down here in Music City. Have they stopped making the stuff or has there been a run on it? The bikers down here would be up in arms if they did.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I've used that oil as sold by (and for) BMW for their M-series engines. It's a strange oil - has plenty of Zn, but not much P, with boron too, and an added plus, it has lower Ca detergent levels (boosted by a Mg detergent), so it should be good on wear. The only drawback is the price. Secondly, I've heard it too has been reformulated from an SL to an SM, but I haven't seen any of the new stuff. I'd venture to say this is an ok oil to use, but don't expect long drains out of it. In fact, it probably has a drain a bit shorter than Brad Penn or Swepco.

I run it in an old vw of mine that has low oil pressure when hot, which it does provide a nice boost over even a thick 20w50. The other engines I've used it in have either had worn rings or bad valve guides and it's a great band aid to clearing up most of the symptoms.
apparently they have TWO different stuff here.

One was known as Castrol RS formula 10W-60, Castrol TWS sport and now Castrol Edge sport 10w-60

And one called Castrol TWS 10w60 or now Castrol Edge 10w-60

the first line was API/ SL and now API SM/CF

http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lubtds.ns...0?OpenDocument

and the later is BMW approval for M series and Z8 models. API SJ/CF

http://129.35.64.91/bpglis/lubtds.ns...1?OpenDocument

There is a friend at BMW that told me about that and that BMW were in a law suit for the TWS wording with castrol (TWS = 10W60)

I do not know the zddp levels of those but I've got SE-SJ/CF tatooed on my palm

Quick Reply: ANYTHING NEW ON THE MOBIL 1 FRONT?