Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Building an RS Clone (sort of)...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building an RS Clone (sort of)...

So I just wanted to bounce this off you folks. I've decided to go 993 and after researching this site endlessly I'm considering building an RS clone to some extent. Basically, I want a DD and track car all in one. I love the "S" cars but not the rarity and premium, especially considering the potential of a C2. Of course I might be out to lunch... Anyway here is my plan, starting with a Holt C2. I'm assuming the Holt cars are clean by reputation? They seem to have a good rep and I'd rather pay a premium for peace of mind. Should I still PPI one of these?

- Holt C2 (~40K)
- mashaw splitters, Turbo S Ducts and tail(~1,500)
- Recaro Toplines or if I'm lucky A8's (~3,500K)
- Rennsport Pedals
- Coilovers - Brand? PSS9?
- LSD???

Marching down this path I'll be at 55K with labor pretty quickly. At the same time I'm guessing an "S" will need at least some of this stuff as well. LSD is standard but I"ll need Seats. Pedals. Not sure about coilovers. How good the Reds on the S? Will I need a big brake kit either way?

Is this a bad idea? If so please talk me down!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:28 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Todd, a PPI is a must regardless of provenance.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
bv shady
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need a ppi lsd not sandard on S and brakes/suspension are same as c2 nb-Paul
Old 01-30-2008, 10:55 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Thanks folks. Yeah a PPI is $200 bucks well spent especially if Tim covers stuff that is found as I've heard. So noone thinks I'm nuts? Maybe this is the wrong place to ask ha ha!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a number of good threads on some outstanding "near RS" cars. If you are going to track it, then you need at minimum a high quality roll bar and 6pt harness. Save your money from the pretty pedals to take weight off the car - door panels, rear seats, etc. You might look at genuine splitters if you are going to dual purpose the car - they have more give than fiberglass. Gert at Carnewal has a good shopping list of RS goodies.

For suspension, I guess the new PSS10's sound good, I think JIC Cross offers more bang for the buck and is better for the track with monoballs and camberplates. You might want a front strut brace as well.

Enjoy!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Yeah the roll bar. I have 2 kids - can I still jam them in there with a rollbar + booster seats? They don't have to be comfortable but the bar can't pose a danger to their heads. The 993 is just backup transportation as far as kids are concerned but it is still a factor.

I should rephrase my "track" comment to be HPDE. Of course you can still end up upside down doing that but as a total noob I'll be with an instructor for a few years. Maybe forever who knows...my first experience will be Skip Barber this spring. Weight I guess is not my first concern. I have no DE skills to speak of (outside of GTR2) and I plan to compromise track for daily driver performance.

I confess I love those pretty pedals and I have trouble heal/toeing small throttles anyway. I know they are a bit blingy but they are only $350! I forgot to mention the FVD wheel too I have to have that. Don't ask why I just do.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No rollbar and kids. Period. Very unsafe. You could go with a removable bar, but it's a pita to do.

After a few days of HPDE, you'll want a driver's seat and belts to keep you planted as you increase cornering speeds. Seats, Belt's and Rollbar are a safety system.

If you are really going to primarily DD the car, then M030 springs and Bilstein HD shocks would be fine.

Any dual purpose car is a compromise. You just have to pick the rights ones to meet your needs.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Thanks for answering the rollbar question. I figured it was out. I'll have to get a Jeep as a backup and get a bar. Shouldnt be too hard to sell the wife on the concept under the safety argument.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

Definitely do a search. Starting even a "sorta" rs clone is a very steep, very slippery slope (ask me how I know). Don’t get me wrong its alot of fun, I am working on car #2 at the moment, just be sure you know what you are in for. I would advise to be careful what you “upgrade” though. Assuming you get into and really enjoy the DE thing you will probably want to dip your toe into racing. Some of these parts bump you into very fast race classes where a 993 is just not competitive.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 AM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Its hard to search on RS on this site, not a recognized term. I don't think I've seen yours in my rennlist travels but I see the Euro splitters in your avatar!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

First off, nobody thinks you're "nuts" because many many of us (like me) have done exactly what you're doing.

However, having a DD *and* a track car all in one will cause severe compromises. You can have comfy ride, good on the track, and inexpensive setup ... just pick any 2 of those. Here are some of your suspension choices:
- M030...good on street, not so good on track after you've done 10-20 days.
- PSS9/ JIC... ok on street, ok on track, reasonably cheap.
- Motons... great on street, great on track, hella expensive.

Good luck, and welcome to Rennlist!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:28 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

My x- RSCS look set me back about $12K and that was the easy stuff: RS brakes/rotors, Getty body parts, side skirts, shifter/linkage, RS steering wheel, LWFW, RS clutch, motor mounts, half shafts, sways, droplinks, Bilstein HDs, corner balance. However, without the 3.8L, tranny and wheels it was just a poser. I'm watching a few 993 RSRs that are way cheaper than doing the full monty.

BTW: I have a new pedal set for cheap; if your interested PM me.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 AM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Your SY clone I'm very familiar with. Huge inspiration I don't plan to extend this "clone" into the interior. I just want cosmetic, suspension and brakes to approximate an RS track car handling whether OEM or aftermarket I'm somewhat agnostic. Power (meaning weight loss) is not a concern since the car will be a handful for me anyway.

I've had an e46 M3 in the past so I don't mind a jarring DD, more the merrier.
I'm thinking PSS9 or KW v3's (although those don't seem popular here?). I'm in the Boston area and I hear the KW's hold up well all season....

bv shady said the C2 brakes are the same as the S? I thought the reds were different calipers? Is it just the paint? I guess the more important question is how are the C2 brakes for DE? Sufficient for starters at least?

Thanks for all the help BTW.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 AM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Originally Posted by David Ray
...However, without the 3.8L, tranny and wheels it was just a poser. I'm watching a few 993 RSRs that are way cheaper than doing the full monty.

BTW: I have a new pedal set for cheap; if your interested PM me.
I guess mine will be UBER poser then .

Thanks for the pedals heads up. I suppose I need to commit the car purchase first though!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Yep

Quick Reply: Building an RS Clone (sort of)...